General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Challenging dinner guests

Started by Ginny Sher · · Last activity · 66 posts · 1,225 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
18 March 2005
Last activity
27 March 2005
Original author
Ginny Sher
Posts
66
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,225
Views / 30 days
10

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 41–60 of 66
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Dave Smith said:
    jmcquown said:


    To my understanding, Vegans don't eat any animal products at all.


    Strictly

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    vegetables and grains. No butter, no nothing that has anything to


    do with

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    animals including butter or milk from cows or goats. Strict Vegans


    also

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    won't eat honey although I have no idea what this has to do with


    "animal"

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    products since bees aren't animals. Vegetarians are more moderate,


    using

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    dairy products including cheese, butter but won't eat meat, fish or


    poultry.

    Quoted message said:


    From what I can gather, veganism is a way of living that excludes all


    forms of

    Quoted message said:

    exploitation of animals.

    BTW.... Bees are animals. Their view is that bees are enslaved and


    exploited in

    Quoted message said:

    order to produce honey. In reality, and that may be a difficult


    concept for

    Quoted message said:

    vegans to wrap their heads around, only one bee in a hive is


    enslaved. That is

    Quoted message said:

    the queen. The rest of the bees are free to come and go as they


    please. If

    Quoted message said:

    something happens to the queen the whole hive will get up and move.

    It is fascinating that something like honey can not be vegan because


    it involves

    Quoted message said:

    the exploitation of an animal that has a natural tendency to live


    wherever there

    Quoted message said:

    is a queen and spends its entire live flying back and forth to gather


    pollen

    Quoted message said:

    without any training at all. Yet Vegans generally espouse the virtues


    of organic

    Quoted message said:

    farming. That means that they use [censored] for fertilizer. Most of that


    [censored] comes

    Quoted message said:

    from cows and other animals on farms that are raising them for meat,


    or milk.

    Quoted message said:


    I wonder how they would ever have survived in the 19th century,


    before the days

    Quoted message said:

    of mechanized tractors. Farmers generally used horses or oxen to work


    their

    Quoted message said:

    fields. They used them to pull plows, the haul wagons, to operate


    various types

    Quoted message said:

    of farm equipment. The entire agricultural system replied almost


    entirely on the

    Quoted message said:

    exploitation of animals.

    Most of the world still exploits animals for farming, the human
    animal.... besides all the world's rice paddys lookit all those illegal
    beaners pickin' veggies... even if they ain't quite human they are
    indeed animals.

    Anyways, there ain't any such thing as a vegetarian/vegan, every last
    one of them
    cheats regularly.

    Sheldon

  2. Wayne Boatwright said:

    On Fri 18 Mar 2005 09:07:38p, Dave Smith wrote in rec.food.cooking:

    Quoted message said:

    From what I can gather, veganism is a way of living that excludes


    all

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    forms of exploitation of animals.

    These must be the same people that wear plastic shoes.

    Plastic is made from petroleum/oil, which once was animals.

  3. "Bob" <virtualgoth@die_spammer.biz> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Ophelia said:

    A vegetarian friend of mine says he will eat nothing with a face

    ...so eggs, jellyfish, clams, oysters, and scallops would be okay? (I'm
    not sure it's accurate to say that skate has a face, either.)

    Or was he just being glib?

    Not sure🙂 I will ask him next time I see him

  4. Sheldon said:


    Quoted message said:

    I wonder how they would ever have survived in the 19th century,


    before the days

    Quoted message said:

    of mechanized tractors. Farmers generally used horses or oxen to work


    their

    Quoted message said:

    fields. They used them to pull plows, the haul wagons, to operate


    various types

    Quoted message said:

    of farm equipment. The entire agricultural system replied almost


    entirely on the

    Quoted message said:

    exploitation of animals.

    Most of the world still exploits animals for farming, the human
    animal.... besides all the world's rice paddys lookit all those illegal
    beaners pickin' veggies... even if they ain't quite human they are
    indeed animals.

    They may consider human exploitation on another level. From my experience,
    people who are overly concerned with animal welfare usually don't care
    about humans. Animals are still used in most forms of agricultural, and
    the more "organic" the farming the more we use animals. I wonder if most
    people realize how important bees are to agriculture. Most orchard owners
    around here either own their own bees or pay a local apiary to bring hives
    in to their orchards because are fundamental to flower fertilization, and
    having active bee hives close to an orchard increases productivity by as
    much as 50%. Worms are another animal vital to our agriculture. As they
    burrow through the ground they leave castings (worm [censored]) full of useful
    fertilizer, and their tunnels help with aeration and drainage of the soil.
    Organic farmers use bug warfare to protect their gardens from pests. They
    will use certain types of insects in their gardens in order to keep the
    food free of others.

    It is bad enough that these poor misguided vegans are denying themselves
    some of the basic foods of the human diet, but they are being duped into
    buying "organic" foods which exploit more animals than the large,
    chemically assisted, commercial operations.

    Quoted message said:

    Anyways, there ain't any such thing as a vegetarian/vegan, every last
    one of them
    cheats regularly.

    Sheldon

  5. On Sat 19 Mar 2005 07:04:16a, Ophelia wrote in rec.food.cooking:

    Quoted message said:


    "Bob" <virtualgoth@die_spammer.biz> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Ophelia said:

    A vegetarian friend of mine says he will eat nothing with a face

    ...so eggs, jellyfish, clams, oysters, and scallops would be okay? (I'm
    not sure it's accurate to say that skate has a face, either.)

    Or was he just being glib?

    Not sure🙂 I will ask him next time I see him

    LOL! Not to forget Pansies! :-) I've seen them served in salads.

    --
    Wayne Boatwright
    ____________________________________________

    Give me a smart idiot over a stupid genius any day.
    Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974

  6. "Wayne Boatwright" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    On Sat 19 Mar 2005 07:04:16a, Ophelia wrote in rec.food.cooking:

    Quoted message said:


    "Bob" <virtualgoth@die_spammer.biz> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Ophelia wrote:

    > A vegetarian friend of mine says he will eat nothing with a face

    ...so eggs, jellyfish, clams, oysters, and scallops would be okay? (I'm
    not sure it's accurate to say that skate has a face, either.)

    Or was he just being glib?

    Not sure🙂 I will ask him next time I see him

    LOL! Not to forget Pansies! :-) I've seen them served in salads.

    Pansies???????? I never saw that🙂

  7. One time on Usenet, Dave Smith <[email hidden]> said:

    <snip>

    Quoted message said:

    They can boycott meat until the cows come home.

    Heh -- this would make a great sig quote...

    --
    J.J. in WA ~ mom, vid gamer, novice cook ~
    "You still haven't explained why the pool is
    filled with elf blood." - Frylock, ATHF

  8. Dave Smith wrote:

    <snip>

    Quoted message said:

    It is fascinating that something like honey can not be vegan because


    it involves

    Quoted message said:

    the exploitation of an animal that has a natural tendency to live


    wherever there

    Quoted message said:

    is a queen and spends its entire live flying back and forth to gather


    pollen

    Quoted message said:

    without any training at all. Yet Vegans generally espouse the virtues


    of organic

    Quoted message said:

    farming. That means that they use [censored] for fertilizer. Most of that


    [censored] comes

    Quoted message said:

    from cows and other animals on farms that are raising them for meat,


    or milk.

    Honey by definition is vegan because it is derived directly from
    animals. But many vegans (or people who claim to be vegans, if you get
    off on identifying hypocrisy in all forms) don't consider it a major
    transgression to eat honey and do so. Many vegans, believe it or not,
    are fairly reasonable people and realize that it is impossible to exist
    on Earth without doing some damage to the environment and killing some
    lifeforms. They still prefer to minimize the damage. Why does it have
    to be all or nothing?--commit suicide or eat meat everyday?

    Quoted message said:

    I wonder how they would ever have survived in the 19th century,


    before the days

    Quoted message said:

    of mechanized tractors. Farmers generally used horses or oxen to work


    their

    Quoted message said:

    fields. They used them to pull plows, the haul wagons, to operate


    various types

    Quoted message said:

    of farm equipment. The entire agricultural system replied almost


    entirely on the

    Quoted message said:

    exploitation of animals.

    Only a dumbass vegan would say that veganism is a way of eating that
    should be adopted all over the world, and should have been practiced by
    everyone in the past. It's only viable in a society with the means such
    that people can survive without eating animal products. That wasn't
    always possible. it's still not possible, or at least not healthy, for
    people who don't have the time and money to consider how they're
    getting their B12, etc. It's a luxury, in a sense. The reasoning for
    many is that if we *can* do it, we should; not that it should be done
    in all cases no matter what the cost.

    There a lot of proselytizing vegetarians and vegans whose behavior is
    hypocritical, but I think it's unfair to denounce all of them. (I, by
    the way, am neither vegan nor vegetarian. But I don't resent those who
    are. I don't understand why so many people seem to take it as a
    personal affront.)

  9. Uh, I meant honey by definition is NOT vegan.

  10. One time on Usenet said:

    Uh, I meant honey by definition is NOT vegan.

    I wondered about that...

    --
    J.J. in WA ~ mom, vid gamer, novice cook ~
    "You still haven't explained why the pool is
    filled with elf blood." - Frylock, ATHF

  11. Ophelia said:

    "jmcquown" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Maverick said:

    "Dave Smith" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...
    > Dan Abel wrote:
    >
    >> I don't agree with Dave's attitude on this, but he is correct in
    >> posting
    >> that many people give a vegetarian diet a try for a year or so


    and

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    >> then
    >> give it up.
    > You don't agree with my attitude? My attitude is that I am not
    > interested
    > in
    > indulging people who are temporarily adopting a diet that is
    > different
    > from
    > mine.

    Thankfully, I don't have any vegetarian/vegan (didn't know there


    was a

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    difference) friends. Our friends all agree with Ron White's
    statement of "I didn't climb to the top of the [censored] food chain


    to

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    eat carrots!"

    Bret


    To my understanding, Vegans don't eat any animal products at all.
    Strictly
    vegetables and grains. No butter, no nothing that has anything to


    do with

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    animals including butter or milk from cows or goats. Strict Vegans


    also

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    won't eat honey although I have no idea what this has to do with


    "animal"

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    products since bees aren't animals. Vegetarians are more moderate,


    using

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    dairy products including cheese, butter but won't eat meat, fish or

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    poultry.

    A vegetarian friend of mine says he will eat nothing with a face

    O

    Probably doesn't stop him from stuffing his meat in any face he can
    get. hehe

  12. Peter Aitken said:

    Anyone who eats fish is not a vegetarian. Case closed.

    I call 'em pesco-vegetarians. There's a lot of them out there.

    Steve

  13. Steve Pope said:
    Peter Aitken said:

    Anyone who eats fish is not a vegetarian. Case closed.

    I call 'em pesco-vegetarians. There's a lot of them out there.

    Steve

    Nonsense... those are called pelicans.

    Sheldon

  14. Crush on Lyle said:

    Honey by definition is vegan because it is derived directly from
    animals. But many vegans (or people who claim to be vegans, if you get
    off on identifying hypocrisy in all forms) don't consider it a major
    transgression to eat honey and do so. Many vegans, believe it or not,
    are fairly reasonable people and realize that it is impossible to exist
    on Earth without doing some damage to the environment and killing some
    lifeforms. They still prefer to minimize the damage. Why does it have
    to be all or nothing?--commit suicide or eat meat everyday?

    Extremism seems to be what some people prefer. I would put milk products
    in the category as honey. You don't have kill a cow to get milk from it,
    though cows that stop producing usually end up in someone's oven.

    Quoted message said:

    Only a dumbass vegan would say that veganism is a way of eating that
    should be adopted all over the world, and should have been practiced by
    everyone in the past. It's only viable in a society with the means such
    that people can survive without eating animal products.

    The vegans I have known would never espouse it as a way of life for
    everyone. It's a rebellious sort of life style that differentiates them
    from the rest of the world.

    Quoted message said:

    There a lot of proselytizing vegetarians and vegans whose behavior is
    hypocritical, but I think it's unfair to denounce all of them. (I, by
    the way, am neither vegan nor vegetarian. But I don't resent those who
    are. I don't understand why so many people seem to take it as a personal
    affront.)

    I don't take it as a personal front. I just refuse to cater to them. I
    once had a vegan show up at our place for a Christmas gathering. My
    nephew's daughter, unbeknownst to me, was (temporarily) a vegan. I didn't
    know she was a vegan and I didn't know that she was coming. Her father had
    put some vegan goodies together for her but forgot them at home. As we were
    trying to put dinner for 16 on the table my wife was running around trying
    to find something that would suit her diet. This same girl, just a year
    and a half later, was sitting across from me at a brunch buffet chowing
    down on a plate full of ham, eggs, chicken and fish. Just like every other
    vegetarian I have ever known she went back to the pleasures of eating
    flesh.

  15. Dave Smith said:

    Extremism seems to be what some people prefer. I would put milk


    products

    Quoted message said:

    in the category as honey. You don't have kill a cow to get milk from


    it,

    Quoted message said:

    though cows that stop producing usually end up in someone's oven.

    I think that's sort of fair--in that if you own your own cow and treat
    it well and milk it everyday, no one is really being hurt. It can also
    be true on small, well-run farms. Vegans don't drink milk because they
    believe that cows suffer on commercial dairy farms. The milking itself
    doesn't hurt them, but the way they are raised and treated does. The
    dairy industry also feeds the veal industry, as the male cows have to
    go somewhere.

    Quoted message said:

    The vegans I have known would never espouse it as a way of life for
    everyone. It's a rebellious sort of life style that differentiates


    them

    Quoted message said:

    from the rest of the world.

    Yes, there is often an element of that. Also, a very large percentage
    of female vegans have eating disorders.

    Quoted message said:

    I don't take it as a personal front. I just refuse to cater to them.


    I

    Quoted message said:

    once had a vegan show up at our place for a Christmas gathering. My
    nephew's daughter, unbeknownst to me, was (temporarily) a vegan. I


    didn't

    Quoted message said:

    know she was a vegan and I didn't know that she was coming. Her


    father had

    Quoted message said:

    put some vegan goodies together for her but forgot them at home. As


    we were

    Quoted message said:

    trying to put dinner for 16 on the table my wife was running around


    trying

    Quoted message said:

    to find something that would suit her diet. This same girl, just a


    year

    Quoted message said:

    and a half later, was sitting across from me at a brunch buffet


    chowing

    Quoted message said:

    down on a plate full of ham, eggs, chicken and fish. Just like every


    other

    Quoted message said:

    vegetarian I have ever known she went back to the pleasures of eating
    flesh.

    I don't think you should have to cater to them. If you have peculiar
    eating habits, you should know that once you leave your own home you
    have to fend for yourself in the food department.

  16. Bob said:
    Ophelia said:

    A vegetarian friend of mine says he will eat nothing with a face

    ...so eggs, jellyfish, clams, oysters, and scallops would be okay? (I'm not
    sure it's accurate to say that skate has a face, either.)

    Or was he just being glib?

    Bob

    The last time some clown sounded off with that line in my presence, I
    asked if science were to develop the proper tools and then actually
    determine that fruits and vegetables do, indeed, have a "face," would he
    then do us the favor of starving himself to death.

    Most of the vegetarians who say things like that are being deliberately
    off-putting and adversarial. They clearly do not understand how to win
    friends and influence people. They deserve whatever slap in the face you
    care to deliver.

    jim

  17. spamtrap said:
    Rodney Myrvaagnes said:
    Doug Kanter said:

    "Ginny Sher" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    >>Black beans give some people MUCH worse digestive discomfort than other
    >>kinds of beans. Pain, in other words. I'd avoid that idea if I were you,
    >>unless you know these people already like black beans in their various
    >>forms.
    >>
    >
    >Thanks for the heads-up. I'm pretty sure these people eat a lot of
    >beans regularly so I don't think there would be any problem.
    >
    >Ginny

    I wasn't clear about this. I know people who eat beans 10 times a week.
    Kidney beans, pinto beans, fava beans, navy beans, all kinds. They get VERY
    nasty reactions to black beans.

    It does NOT matter how often your guests eat other beans. Your conclusion
    that "there wouldn't be any problem" is based on air. Go ahead with your
    plans, but have another side dish ready in case you see people avoiding the
    black beans.

    This is news to me. I love black beans, and have never seen anyone
    avoid them.

    I have to wonder if this is some type of twisted racial slur. A bean is
    pretty much a bean. Why would he state "I wasn't clear about this. I
    know people who eat beans 10 times a week. Kidney beans, pinto beans,
    fava beans, navy beans, all kinds. They get VERY nasty reactions to
    black beans." if not for a some ethnocentric reason? It's not like black
    beans are poisonous or anything.

    "Ethnocentric slur"??? You lost me there. Maybe I'm just stupid.

    I guess lactose intolerance could be called ethnocentric. Is it
    something like that?

    My bean books don't say any special precautions are needed for black
    beans vis a vis other kinds.

    I wouldn't want to cause distress to any guests, of whatever
    ethnicity.

    Rodney Myrvaagnes J36 Gjo/a

    Let us restore integrity and honor to the White House

  18. Ginny Sher said:

    A few friends are coming over for dinner for game night. There will
    be 6 of us including my best friend and her husband. He is


    vegetarian

    Quoted message said:

    (eats seafood & dairy)

    Then he's not vegetarian.

    -L.

  19. -L. said:


    Ginny Sher said:

    A few friends are coming over for dinner for game night. There will
    be 6 of us including my best friend and her husband. He is


    vegetarian

    Quoted message said:

    (eats seafood & dairy)

    Then he's not vegetarian.

    -L.

    Yah... I know he's not a vegetarian in a technical sense and I shoulda
    just said he only eats seafood. I probably could have listed the
    foods that each of them will and won't eat, but it was too lengthy. I
    really only meant to impart that each person had very specific foods
    they either *could* eat due to doctors orders or *would* eat due to
    personal choice.

    One eats seafood, preferably cooked in a low-fat method and isn't
    supposed to eat cheese, butter, hi sodium, etc. but he does on
    occasion. She eats seafood but won't touch cheese, butter, meat, dairy
    (unless ff), oil, peanut butter, avocado or pretty much anything with
    fat in it.

    I know, I know many of you will tell me to tell her that her diet
    isn't healthy; that a body needs some fat, etc. It's futile, she's
    been like this for decades and is not going to change now. She is my
    best friend so I deal with it. I will go out of my way to make sure
    her salad has ff dressing and the veggies or whatever, don't have any
    oil or butter on them. Usually, we have some condiment like salsa to
    place on an entree or vegetable dish when necessary. Her meal was
    largely like ours except:

    She ate her artichoke plain
    She had ff salad dressing over her greens and I did not use any nuts
    in her salad.
    I served some french bread along with the cornbread for her.
    Dessert for her was a plate of strawberries with some blueberries
    sprinkled in to look pretty and a little bowl each of ff greek yogurt
    and brown sugar to dip the berries in.
    She had the salmon with rasp. chipotle sauce because that had no fat
    in it and the asparagus.

    The only thing she didn't eat was the cornbread and the key lime
    cheesecake. Otherwise, it was the same meal. No biggie.

    Ginny

  20. Ginny Sher said:

    Yah... I know he's not a vegetarian in a technical sense and I


    shoulda

    Quoted message said:

    just said he only eats seafood.

    Sorry, it's just my pet peeve....people who say "I'm a vegetarian but I
    eat chicken." or "I'm a vegetarian but I eat fish." Drives me nuts.

    Quoted message said:

    I probably could have listed the
    foods that each of them will and won't eat, but it was too lengthy.


    I

    Quoted message said:

    really only meant to impart that each person had very specific foods
    they either *could* eat due to doctors orders or *would* eat due to
    personal choice.

    One eats seafood, preferably cooked in a low-fat method and isn't
    supposed to eat cheese, butter, hi sodium, etc. but he does on
    occasion. She eats seafood but won't touch cheese, butter, meat,


    dairy

    Quoted message said:

    (unless ff), oil, peanut butter, avocado or pretty much anything with
    fat in it.

    I know, I know many of you will tell me to tell her that her diet
    isn't healthy; that a body needs some fat, etc. It's futile, she's
    been like this for decades and is not going to change now. She is my
    best friend so I deal with it. I will go out of my way to make sure
    her salad has ff dressing and the veggies or whatever, don't have any
    oil or butter on them. Usually, we have some condiment like salsa to
    place on an entree or vegetable dish when necessary. Her meal was
    largely like ours except:

    She ate her artichoke plain
    She had ff salad dressing over her greens and I did not use any nuts
    in her salad.
    I served some french bread along with the cornbread for her.
    Dessert for her was a plate of strawberries with some blueberries
    sprinkled in to look pretty and a little bowl each of ff greek yogurt
    and brown sugar to dip the berries in.
    She had the salmon with rasp. chipotle sauce because that had no fat
    in it and the asparagus.

    The only thing she didn't eat was the cornbread and the key lime
    cheesecake. Otherwise, it was the same meal. No biggie.

    Ginny

    Sounds like it worked out pretty well. 🙂 I don't understand how
    someone could turn down key lime cheesecake, though...(Did you post the
    recipe? - I will look for it!)

    -L.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.