Challenging yourself

Corzhens

May 26, 2015
In one of my groups rides, there was this chat on the issue of progressive resistance training. It is a method that you increase the distance or the difficulty every time you engage in cycling. It's like starting with 5 kilometers for the 1st day and increasing 1 kilometer each day. It can also be on the speed like 30 kph on the first day and thereby increasing by 1 kph every day. But one in the group argued that challenging yourself is not a good way of training because you are limited to the capacity of your body in terms of speed and stamina. The advice - use time tested methods of training by professionals.

What about for amateurs and wannabes who don't have that dream of turning pro?

Progressive loading is a basic tenet of training. It's rare for someone to continue to improve by doing the same thing day after day, month after month, year after year. At some point you need to increase the load (volume, intensity, or both).

For time-limited athletes, there is (obviously) a volume/time limit. Also, at some point you will discover that you can only increase intensity so much without experiencing adverse effects. So, basically, we all have performance limits that are constrained by how much volume and intensity we can incorporate into our lives as well as our bodies response to that load (genetics).

Re: Do what the Pro's do. Be careful here. Very few of us live the life of a Pro Cyclist. Also, when temped to emulate a Pro, one should always ask "are they successful because of, or in spite of, what they are doing?" before going down that path. Don't always assume that they have all the data and/or have made the correct decisions based on the data.

Whether I'm training at the gym, training on a bike, training with some computer software - whatever! - it's always the way that I progress. Either I spend more time doing it (e.g. ride for 5 minutes longer), or do more in the same time (e.g. ride an extra distance in the same time). Challenging yourself is always the best way to train, or else you are just repeating the same things you can already do, over and over.

A few years ago I used to try and push myself constantly by changing my training and dying routine, but these days I just tend to stick with what I'm more comfortable with.

There's nothing wrong with progressive training, but at the same time there's no harm in sticking to what you know, especially if it's still giving you the necessary results you are after.

I mostly cycle for leisure, and as a form of alternative treatment to control my depression, so I never had any aspirations of going pro or anything like that. Even marathons, I'd rather not go near it, and I just do my routine weekly and enjoy the fresh air, scenery, as well as the view in front of me. The thing that I gain when cycling isn't endurance or exercise, it's just a form to relax, so I don't see any reason why I should "push harder" when doing these cycling routines.

I mostly cycle for leisure, and as a form of alternative treatment to control my depression, so I never had any aspirations of going pro or anything like that. Even marathons, I'd rather not go near it, and I just do my routine weekly and enjoy the fresh air, scenery, as well as the view in front of me. The thing that I gain when cycling isn't endurance or exercise, it's just a form to relax, so I don't see any reason why I should "push harder" when doing these cycling routines.

I think you've hit upon the most important point when it comes to training, and it all depends as to why you're training in the first place as to if progressive training is right for the individual or not.

I said myself if your cycling or training is more of a leisure activity and a way to keep in shape and relax, then the last thing you're going to want to do is keep pushing yourself more and more until it gets to the point you no longer enjoy it.

I have never reached my plateau yet for some obvious reasons. I had tried to change routines, increase the distance and so on to avoid getting bored at cycling. That is the only reason why I would modify my training routine.

I have never reached my plateau yet for some obvious reasons. I had tried to change routines, increase the distance and so on to avoid getting bored at cycling. That is the only reason why I would modify my training routine.
Do you easily get bored at cycling? I don't get bored no matter I cover a long or a short distance.

Boredom and cycling aren't two words that I'd put together either to be honest, and it's more the exact opposite for me. Whenever I'm bored then I'll go cycling because I find that it's the most effective way of making sure that I'm not getting bored!

As a personal trainer, it takes a lot of determination to challenge yourself. Consistency is the key. A lot fails in this stage as they have a good start and falls on after few episodes of trying. You need to set your goal and gain a new level of limit every time. It’s this practice that makes a lot of difference and I’m glad I’ve learned this from my mentor. All thanks to you Jonas Skogli!

Well I certainly see the point, but on a grand scale I would say that you should always work to challenge yourself. Knowing your limits is one thing, but the whole mentality I think should stay to seek a challenge so that we can all improve. Maybe I am just being idealistic, it would certainly not be the first time that that was the case.

You should be challenging yourself regardless of where you're at, challenge creates growth. You have to adapt in order to get an edge on what you're doing, and if you don't, farewell to that small growth you only could have got from that challenge.

As a personal trainer, it takes a lot of determination to challenge yourself. Consistency is the key. A lot fails in this stage as they have a good start and falls on after few episodes of trying. You need to set your goal and gain a new level of limit every time. It’s this practice that makes a lot of difference and I’m glad I’ve learned this from my mentor. All thanks to you Jonas Skogli!
Most people just start and they fail. The main problem they face is the lack of the motivation to continue their journey. We should not just start and stop. If you are consistent, you would surely reach the goal. I agree with you. Practice also makes a lot of difference. I agree with the phrase that says 'practice makes a man perfect'.

For an amateur and wannabe like me, I don't give much a damn of attention to progressive resistance training. For what? Unless I have an ulterior motive like faster commuting or perform better for longer distance. Otherwise, not, I don't tend to challenge myself to improve for no reason.

Like you say, I think a lot is going to depend on what your actually training for, and if you don't need to challenge yourself for what you want to achieve, there's some argument to say that you don't really have to.

Not challenging yourself will also mean that your not tempted to push yourself if your not feeling 100%. That's usually when injuries can occur, by doing too much because you feel that you have to.

You should be challenging yourself regardless of where you're at, challenge creates growth. agree with you..

Last edited by a moderator:
It's important to challenge yourself if you want to improve. That pretty much goes for anything in life though. I've learnt that if you track your performances and look at them you can progress a lot faster than if you just have a guessed / estimate on how well you're doing.

I would also go with the idea of challenging oneself. This not only improve the stamina and resistance but it also serves as a great motivation to do what you love to do. As long as you set goals than I believe you will stay and do what you love for a long time.

pushing your self to the limit without the proper training could cause of hospitalization. in any training, not even bike, we should under go to the progress just step by step, and your example I think is good. Additional one kilometer a day, and also the speed, I don't see any problem about that.

The truth is that not many would like to go with they attitude of challenging oneself when the matter of riding an extra mile is involved. The reason I said so is because I have seen situations where many tried, but couldn't keep up while others that felt it's just fun don't give it a try. However, I agree with you that it is really a good way to keep up the passion to ride and measure how far we have gone with it at the end of the day.