chambers, cheating americans, conte, armstrong, landis

Discussion in 'Professional Cycling' started by whiteboytrash, May 15, 2008.

1. whiteboytrash

whiteboytrash New Member

Interesting letter from Victor Conte along with Dwain Chambers about how athletes use drugs and get away with it.... I'm surprised at the use of EPO by sprinters.... although looks like testosterone is standard issue drug for all athletes... also note cheating American testers reducing out of competition tests leading up to the Olympics.....

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/olympics/athletics/7403158.stm

Tags:

2. Eldrack

Eldrack New Member

Pretty illuminating report there, shows up just how much crap these guys are taking, and how useless the anti doping programs are.

3. Wayne666

Wayne666 New Member

Good stuff. I was surprised when it came out Marion Jones was using EPO. Probably helps to maintain intensity during training sessions since recovery is an aerobic process, and assists recovery in general.

If you think about it EPO is essentially like the "new" testosterones Conte talks about. Such a short window of detection, as long as you get "free passes" and can "duck and dive" you'd be an idiot to get caught OOC.

4. jimmypop

jimmypop New Member

Or, it may provide no real benefit at all (though I'm not saying that's the case with sprinters and EPO). The cheaters will take whatever everyone else is taking, unless they're on a carefully monitored program.

Didn't Willy Volet inject riders with placebos when they wanted something and he thought that they'd had enoug?

5. Crankyfeet

Crankyfeet New Member

Good read. Thanks.

Should help a few ignorant athletes get started on a drug cocktail cycle where before they had no idea ... :D

EPO was interesting... but not surprising. I'd be interested to know how much Dwain was paying for all of this. I believe EPO is fairly prohibitive in cost for an amateur... and guys like Victor need to add in their huge cut.

6. tonyzackery

tonyzackery Well-Known Member

It will never cease to amaze me how some athletes get totally nailed to the wall with regard to being a drug cheat, and how others are simply given free passes...The total arbitrary nature of "legal justice" is incredible...all the while the "chosen ones" get to run around scot-free and others are sent to prison and the like...:mad:

7. rob of the og

rob of the og New Member

So, do we think that Conte is seriously spilling the beans here and genuinely trying to help the testing authorities... or is he hoping that this sort of info will put the less professional operators out of business and leave more of the doping market for him and other high-end suppliers?

8. Wayne666

Wayne666 New Member

Surely the latter as he notified the USADA about their stupid testing schedule way back when he was in the business. He may be trying to clean things up and start a second career now since he's out of business.