Chamois cream vs nappy cream?

Bigbananabike

Dec 29, 2004
A couple of years ago I got some DZ Nuts and used it. It worked ok. I thought the fact that its a reasonably 'solid' substance made it stay where I put it.

Last year I read about using readily available (supermarket) and cheap nappy cream for protection and to help saddle sores heal up.
I bought some and have been using it.

Having done some big kms recently I've got a fresh crop of saddle sores.

I'm thinking....do I keep using nappy cream or should I buy some more purpose made chamois cream?

I have no idea what nappy ream is but I have tried Junk Jam. Expensive and not for me. Broke down rather easily.
I do like chamois butter, the tube or tub. Tub is Euro style so it has this vapo effect. Kind of like a mint fresh cool feeling down there ha ha!

The tube at some shops is $19.99. Some a little less. But I try to order it when buying online from Ribblecyclesuckdotcom. I throw it in to meet the minimum free shipping requirement and it's only $12 when I get it online.

I once tried bag balm as others on forums used to rave about it, not for me. I also tried utter cream. Used to be good stuff but seems they got cheap on me.

So far the paceline chamois butter gets my vote.

Lanolin cream if you're going to cheap out.

Although not ordinarily recommended due to being somewhat waterproof (i.e. not breathing and perhaps causing pore blockage) is Vaseline/Petroleum Jelly. It DOES work as well as any of the over-priced bike shop stuff AND has the added benefit of having "Petroleum" in the name to help ******** tree huggers, green weenies and stinky hippies.

Perfection in cleanliness, perfect fitting clean shorts and a great chamois are the base. If you are still getting friction a further look at your position on the bike, position of the saddle and/or your saddle selection may be necessary.

I also tried utter cream.

UDDER...UDDER!!!! It's all about the ta-ta's!

I agree with you about NOT cheaping out here. Paceline, DZ, Assos, Udderly Smooth, Chamois Butt's, Rapha...there's a bunch of brands to try and most of them, while over-priced IMO, do work.

OP, for healing properties try A&D ointment.

Hi, i've been using Chamois Cream on my bibs - but have heard nappy rash stuff is just as good.

Udderly Smooth is dirt cheap at a local supermarket called Market Basket. Less than $5 for a jar.

Bag Balm is another udder cream that works well, and isn't that expensive. I think it's around $8 for an 8 oz can.

Udderly Smooth is dirt cheap at a local supermarket called Market Basket. Less than $5 for a jar.

Bag Balm is another udder cream that works well, and isn't that expensive. I think it's around $8 for an 8 oz can.

I'm in New Zealand. As far as I know we don't have those products readily available.