chamois creams?

li0scc0 said:
Assos is outstanding but just for fun I got some Noxema and have used it a couple of times.....seems as good as Assos in all honesty.
Well, after a couple more weeks...the Noxema wears off much quicker than the Assos. On 3-5 hour rides, the saddles sores occured with the Noxema. SO my vote is still with Assos.
Although I have heard great things about Bag Balm....

li0scc0 said:
Well, after a couple more weeks...the Noxema wears off much quicker than the Assos. On 3-5 hour rides, the saddles sores occured with the Noxema. SO my vote is still with Assos.
Although I have heard great things about Bag Balm....
You can't beat Assos. It might be expensive, but I haven't experienced saddles sores in the 3 years I have been using it. It's great stuff IMHO.

Lanolin cream used to be recommended for chamois inserts before specific products were marketed. None of the chemists (or pharmacies) that I have tried have had it in stock - although one offered to order it for me.

Everyone I talk to says that you don't need it for synthetic inserts and bike shops tell me that they haven't stocked it for a few years now.

I actually still have a large tin of the stuff somewhere in my garage which I bought from one of the TI Raleigh pros'. Should be nicely matured by now? ;)

retrorider said:
What are the best chamois creams? Assos? Butter?
I've ridden about 2,500 miles so far this season with Paceline Chamois Butt'r and Nashbar Chamois Cream. No problems with either. Use plenty.

dont waste your money, just use bag balm. of course, you could do the homeless thing and **** in your shorts, then ride. lol. EVERYONE knows the guy that was kickin ass in a group ride or race or something and natured called and the person crapped themselves.

If you havn't seen "hell on wheels" then you don't know how much crotch cream to use, you gotta slather it on, especially the longer you ride. I use Bag balm, and think it's awesome. I think the Assos stuff is great too, but like i said first, you gotta slather it on, and $20 for about 4 or 5 servings, just doesn't work for me. The bag balm is about 5 bucks and great. It is kind of hard to get out of shorts, so if you are hand washing then maybe something that isn't as greasy would work better, but otherwise this is the stuff to use, and it does double duty, if you get a saddle sore, a little of this on it will make it go away over night.

gregkeller said:
If you havn't seen "hell on wheels" then you don't know how much crotch cream to use, you gotta slather it on, especially the longer you ride. I use Bag balm, and think it's awesome. I think the Assos stuff is great too, but like i said first, you gotta slather it on, and $20 for about 4 or 5 servings, just doesn't work for me. The bag balm is about 5 bucks and great. It is kind of hard to get out of shorts, so if you are hand washing then maybe something that isn't as greasy would work better, but otherwise this is the stuff to use, and it does double duty, if you get a saddle sore, a little of this on it will make it go away over night.
That’s why I like the Qoleum stuff. It's more like petroleum jelly, with a pleasant menthol smell, and as a result you tend to need less to get the same effect. Couple of guys I did the Hartley Challenge with switched over during the weekend from Assos and are far happier with the results and the savings.

Ok for the normal rider if your bike is fitting you well I don't think you need anything for riding 100 miles or under. Racing might be different and haven't done short racing but hope to do some ultra racing next season. My 1st 1200km ride I tried vaseline and it didn't work very well. I was smart nuff to have some Baby diaper rash creme(generic) with me and applying that at night while resting helped. I since have gone to using bag balm with no problems you just have to be carefull you don't put it on very heavy and possibly wear rubber gloves or really wash your hands good after applying because yes it luvs to stick to your hands also.

Also the Lance Chronnicles Lance was using Assos of course

Zman

pedalsquares said:
Really? I remember very distinctly that (at least on the "Lance Chronicles" episode) he didn't want to say the name. The producer asked him if it was because they didn't sponser him, and Lance gave this vague, non-committal response. But, he was very emphatic that once he found that chamois cream "all his problems went away".
He also mentioned it was from a smalll bike company.

frusso10 said:
He also mentioned it was from a smalll bike company.
Well in the clip it showed a very quick pic of the can or the container and everyone that has used ASSOS knows what it looks like and the reason he probably didn't give the name is they didn't sponsor him but that really doesn't matter what Lance uses it's what you use and works for you. Bag Balm worked for me during the RAAM ride where I was in the saddle all day long with the same pair of shorts on each day and """"""if it ain't broke don't fix it""""""is my slogan instead of maybe the governments """"if it ain't broke work on it till it is""""""""""""""""":)

Zman

I have used the Assos and although it worked well I prefer the Paceline chamois butter. When shorts had natural chamois I used Vaseline and it worked very well and actually protected the chamois but of course it was messy.

retrorider said:
What are the best chamois creams? Assos? Butter?
Udderly Smooth! Cow Cream!

I like it better than noxema and seems to hang around longer.
Easy to clean out of clothes and hands.