chamois creams?

retrorider said:
What are the best chamois creams? Assos? Butter?

I use both.

Assos gives a nice 'tingling' sensation. Butter is a little bit more water based.

Assos will feel thicker while Butter feels a lot more slick.

The type of ride I am about to do determines the cream.

Do what feels the best.

You use both at the same time or one for short rides and one for long rides? Which one is better for long rides?

Rhubarb said:
Assos all the way!
Assos is way to expensive for what you get. Try the Qoleum range. Stay away from the Blue Steel stuff got nothing but ingrown hairs when I tried there version

Mark Willis said:
I know this isn't an option you asked, but I use vasoline and have no problems.

I've always wondered about vaseline, but I've never used it because I've been worried about it destroying my chamois. I used Noxzema for years.

artmichalek said:
I'll second that. It works well without feeling greasy, and it's much cheaper than the cycling specific products.
I never thought of that but i just looked at the ingredients for Noxema Plus and Assos. Here they are:

Assos:
deonized water(just water), glycerine, propylene glycol, decyloleate, polydecene, which hazel extract, almond oil sorbitan stearate, menthol, cyclomethicone, oak bark extract, methylparaben, retinyl, palminate, bha

noxzema plus: (plus has added moisturizer)
water, stearic acid, linseed oil, soybean oil, glycerin, propylene, glycol, gelatin, calcium hydroxide, ammonium hydroxide, fragrance, camphor, menthol, eucalyptus oil, methyparaben, propylparaben, dmdm hyantoin, disodium edta, phenoxyethanol

Assos:
$20.00 140 ml

Noxema Plus:
$3.29 10.7 OZ

gonna give Noxzema a try.

Thanks for all the input. my B^11$ thank you.

retrorider said:
What are the best chamois creams? Assos? Butter?
Assos is outstanding but just for fun I got some Noxema and have used it a couple of times.....seems as good as Assos in all honesty.

li0scc0 said:
Assos is outstanding but just for fun I got some Noxema and have used it a couple of times.....seems as good as Assos in all honesty.
I have heard that from a lot of high milage guys I know. I have been using Assos and if I didn't get it as cheap as I do I'd try Noxema. I have had NO saddle sores in the last 2 years. If it is not broken I won't fix it!

I rode 13,000 miles last year and am on the same pace this year.

artmichalek said:
I'll second that. It works well without feeling greasy, and it's much cheaper than the cycling specific products.
are you thinking fo something else? bag balm is the greasiest thing you can use. i like it but when i'm wearing my nice bibs there's no way i'm going to risk messing them up wiht anything petroleum-based. i'd much rather use noxema if i'm looking to save money.

oneradtec said:
I once saw Lance Armstrong on TV using Bag Balm

http://www.bagbalm.com/

I use it...and it works great!
If it was on the "Lance Cronicles" it looked like an Assos container to me. Looked like he put on about $17 worth in one application! I have seen less icing on a cake.

He can probably afford it :).

jbraTT said:
If it was on the "Lance Cronicles" it looked like an Assos container to me. Looked like he put on about $17 worth in one application! I have seen less icing on a cake.

I use bag balm for rides of 2 to3 hrs and for long rides Assos with Bag palm on the top,works great (i always use sanitary wips before putting the cream on ) . :eek:

jbraTT said:

No it was Bag Balm. I remember the green can very distinctly. He even mentioned it by name.

oneradtec said:
No it was Bag Balm. I remember the green can very distinctly. He even mentioned it by name.
Really? I remember very distinctly that (at least on the "Lance Chronicles" episode) he didn't want to say the name. The producer asked him if it was because they didn't sponser him, and Lance gave this vague, non-committal response. But, he was very emphatic that once he found that chamois cream "all his problems went away".

pedalsquares said:
Really? I remember very distinctly that (at least on the "Lance Chronicles" episode) he didn't want to say the name. The producer asked him if it was because they didn't sponser him, and Lance gave this vague, non-committal response. But, he was very emphatic that once he found that chamois cream "all his problems went away".
That's what I remember. That and the round container was white with the rounded edges on the top like an Assos container.