Champions League

>Time of year.
>
>It's winter so the bird should be further south - the Med. or the Middle
>East. Presumably lost, but has found the climate and food supply
>acceptable, for the time being at least.
>
>Migration accounts for spring/autumn sightings.

Thanks....
Always cling to the hope that they might breed in a Scottish birch
wood one year...

Is the birding newsgroup readable again, or still beset with
troll(duck) wars, gave up on it last year.

Richard Webb

>Lovely plumage the Norwegian Blue...

"I wish to register a complaint...

.....This bluethroat is alive"

Richard Webb

Gordon Harris wrote:

> Kinder was covered in a duvet of cloud, as was the Bleaklow

direction.
> The hills looked good but I bet it's boggy up there.

IME the Dark Peak can offer better walking than the White Peak
in truly wet conditions but you have to know where to go. If you
go to the places where other people don't then the undisturbed
moorlands can be much less claggy than the muddy, churned up
honey pots of the White Peak and of course offer much wider
options for routes being predominantly Access Land. There's ways
of getting up onto Bleaklow without so much as getting your
gaiters wet.

Chris

Peewiglet <[email protected]> writes
>On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 19:26:07 +0000, Gordon Harris
><[email protected]> wrote:
>
>[...]
>>As I left the car park I saw two robins scrapping territorially.
>>The plump one with the red breast won, don't they always?

>Did you see the one with a blue breast in the paper y/day? The piccy
>looked like something from Photoshop to me. Is it true??

I could easily do that to one in PS, but no - I didn't see that.

>Still, though: it's good to get out at all. I was stuck in for most of
>the day, though I did go for a slow run at lunchtime.

I suppose it's tricky running and eating fish and chips...
--
Gordon Harris

Peewiglet <[email protected]> writes
>On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 20:07:52 +0000, Phil Cook
><[email protected]> wrote:
>
>[...]
>>>Did you see the one with a blue breast in the paper y/day? The piccy
>>>looked like something from Photoshop to me. Is it true??

>>Not a robin as such but a relative. A siberian bluethroat, which in
>>twitching terms is known as a cosmic mind-f*#cker, being very rare for
>>the UK and also very pretty to look at.
>>
>>http://www.rspb.org.uk/scotland/birdwatching_Scotland/bluethroat.asp

>Thank you, but it's *seriously* weird! Like green custard, somehow,
>or pink oranges...

<Throws up>
It still looks like a PS job to me.
--
Gordon Harris

Chris Gilbert <[email protected]> writes

>IME the Dark Peak can offer better walking than the White Peak
>in truly wet conditions but you have to know where to go. If you
>go to the places where other people don't then the undisturbed
>moorlands can be much less claggy than the muddy, churned up
>honey pots of the White Peak and of course offer much wider
>options for routes being predominantly Access Land. There's ways
>of getting up onto Bleaklow without so much as getting your
>gaiters wet.

I would imagine that you could get there with dry feet from the summit
of the Snake Pass, following the stony path which leads past the top of
Doctor's Gate and close to the Hern Stones.

I prefer the White Peak myself, but I have covered most of The Dark.
Off the beaten tracks is fine if you like hopping over clumps of tough
grass.
--
Gordon Harris

On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 10:23:44 +0000, SteveO wrote:

>On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 00:03:09 +0000, Geoff Berrow <[email protected]>
>wrote:
>
>>I noticed that Message-ID: <[email protected]> from RJ
>>Webb contained the following:
>>
>>>Bluethroats are very familiar to hillgoers in Norway.. Lovely song

>>Lovely plumage the Norwegian Blue...

>pining, it is

I still get the impression that there's some sort of birdy joke going
on here! :)

Best wishes,
--
,,
(**)PeeWiglet~~

I noticed that Message-ID: <[email protected]>
from Peewiglet contained the following:

>On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 10:23:44 +0000, SteveO wrote:
>
>>On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 00:03:09 +0000, Geoff Berrow <[email protected]>
>>wrote:
>>
>>>I noticed that Message-ID: <[email protected]> from RJ
>>>Webb contained the following:

>>>Lovely plumage the Norwegian Blue...

>>pining, it is

for the fjords?

>I still get the impression that there's some sort of birdy joke going
>on here! :)

Perish the thought.
--
Geoff Berrow (put thecat out to email)
It's only Usenet, no one dies.

On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 08:05:39 +0000, Geoff Berrow <[email protected]>
wrote:

>I noticed that Message-ID: <[email protected]>
>from Peewiglet contained the following:
>
>>On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 10:23:44 +0000, SteveO wrote:

>>>pining, it is

>for the fjords?
>
>>I still get the impression that there's some sort of birdy joke going
>>on here! :)

>Perish the thought.

its not perished its

SteveO
--
NE Climbers & walkers chat forum;
http://www.thenmc.org.uk/phpBB2/index.php

NMC website: http://www.thenmc.org.uk

On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 10:33:18 +0000, SteveO wrote:

>On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 08:05:39 +0000, Geoff Berrow <[email protected]>
>wrote:
>
>>I noticed that Message-ID: <[email protected]>
>>from Peewiglet contained the following:

>>for the fjords?
>>
>>>I still get the impression that there's some sort of birdy joke going
>>>on here! :)

>>Perish the thought.

>its not perished its

....frozen???

Best wishes,
--
,,
(**)PeeWiglet~~

On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 19:38:56 +0000, Geoff Berrow wrote:

>I noticed that Message-ID: <[email protected]>
>from Peewiglet contained the following:
>
>>>its not perished its

>>...frozen???

>Well, stiff anyway.

(Takes parrot out of the cage and thumps its head on the counter.
Throws it up in the air and watches it plummet to the floor.)

I noticed that Message-ID: <[email protected]>
from Phil Cook contained the following:

>>I noticed that Message-ID: <[email protected]>
>>from Peewiglet contained the following:

>>>...frozen???

>>Well, stiff anyway.

>(Takes parrot out of the cage and thumps its head on the counter.
>Throws it up in the air and watches it plummet to the floor.)

It's just resting.
--

Geoff Berrow wrote:
> I noticed that Message-ID: <[email protected]>
> from Phil Cook contained the following:
>

>>>I noticed that Message-ID: <[email protected]>

>>>from Peewiglet contained the following:

>>>Well, stiff anyway.

>>(Takes parrot out of the cage and thumps its head on the counter.
>>Throws it up in the air and watches it plummet to the floor.)

> It's just resting.

Beautiful plummage.

--
Dave McLaughlin