Chance to buy Colnago Dream "Geo" - Is it a good price?

calirider2

Jul 20, 2011
Hi all,
I have a chance to get a 2001 Colnago Geo Dream for $875. The carbon fiber forks are painted (instead of normal plain black).
Specs are below. No pedals (ok with me). Just want to know if this is a good/fair price?

Thanks in advance for any and all comments,
Justin

Full Campy Record (53x39 -- choice of cassette); ITM bars (aluminum) ; Colnago aluminum seat post; No pedals; choice of Colnago saddle(Team "Rabobank") or Selle Italia Gel Pro (nearly new); Campy Electron wheel set ; Ritchey or Colnago stem; Vetta computer .... Sacramento isn't that far, we could meet somewhere and if you brought pedals you could ride it

FWIW. Yes, IMO, that particular Colnago is worth what the seller is asking ... presuming you are 5'9 to 6'1", that is ... even if the crank arm length isn't YOUR ideal length ([COLOR= #808080]whatever THAT may be!?![/COLOR]).

BTW. I presume that is a 57cm or 58cm frame (c-t, with a ~58cm top tube) ... and, for a person who is 5'9" it would barely be an "okay" fit ([COLOR= #808080]a person that height would probably want to to change to a shorter stem[/COLOR]), but it is really a frame for a taller rider (5'11" to 6'1").

Hi Alfeng, Thx for the replies. Here are the dimensions from the seller. top tube as 54cm (c-to-c) seat tube as:  53cm (ctc) or 55cm (ct-top) Clearance from Ground to bottom of bottom bracket - 25cm and from ground to top tube - 79cm to the top edge of the top tube Comes with choice of 90mm or 105mm stem. Just curious, what was price of bike when new? I thought the $875 price is a good deal since the wheels were supposely $500-600 when new.

It looks good, but everything is dated. I would buy it if I was in the market and it was my size, but then I prefer the older stuff and I have the tools and experience to maintain it.

Originally Posted by calirider2 .

Here are the dimensions from the seller.

top tube as 54cm (c-to-c)
seat tube as: 53cm (ctc) or 55cm (ct-top)

Clearance from Ground to bottom of bottom bracket - 25cm
and from ground to top tube - 79cm to the top edge of the top tube

Comes with choice of 90mm or 105mm stem.

Just curious, what was price of bike when new?
I thought the $875 price is a good deal since the wheels were
supposely $500-600 when new.
FWIW. Subjectively, that frame will be good for someone who is between 5'7" and 5'10" ...

I'm 5'9" ([COLOR= #808080]and, probably shrinking[/COLOR]) ...

For your reference, here's my 54cm Colnago w/ 120mm stem ... the saddle is 28.25" above the BB ... the wheels aren't matched because I was testing that rear wheel & rear derailleur combination.

If you are 5'7" then choose the 90mm stem ...

If you are 5'8" then choose the 105mm stem ...

If you are 5'9" or 5'10" then plan on buying a new stem ...

If you are taller than 5'10" then you probably should consider a different bike.

FYI. By my recollection ([COLOR= #808080]subject to correction![/COLOR]), in 2001 the particular ([COLOR= #0000ff]alloy[/COLOR]) frameset cost about the same as the Colnago Master X-Lite frameset ...

• that puts the particular frameset in the $1800 range for the frame & fork at your LBS ... the former North American distributor took more than a fair-share ... figure that frameset was probably closer to $1200 in Europe!
  • figure $1400+ ([COLOR= #808080]e.g., Colorado Cyclist ... possibly, $2000 at your LBS[/COLOR]) for the Record Group
  • wheels -- $600
  • $300+ for miscellaneous ([COLOR= #808080]tires, tubes, handlebar, saddle, seatpost, headset, etc.[/COLOR])
  • tax
  • [COLOR= #808080]some (?) shops charge for assembly even though they are usually charging bust-out-retail for the components ... [/COLOR]

So, in 2001, I reckon the current seller paid more than $4000 & less than $5000.

Thx for detailed reply. Should of mentioned, I am 5' 10". So this sounds like it will fitme but just barely. I think it is a good deal but may have to pass. BTW, any recommendations for pedals? There is a used pair of Time Titan EQ clipless that I can pick up for $49 (no cleats). Not sure where to get the cleats. :) Thx

Check with your LBS about cleats before you purchase the pedals. There are Time Atac Cleats all over the internet but i don't know if they are compatible with the Titan EQs. Your bike shop should know. Cleats are a consumable product just like tires and tubes so your bike shop would be one source, and the internet would be the other if you have a good idea of which cleat the pedals take.

Originally Posted by calirider2 .

BTW, any recommendations for
pedals? There is a used pair of Time Titan EQ clipless that
I can pick up for $49 (no cleats). Not sure where to get the
cleats. /img/vbsmilies/smilies//smile.gif
Sorry for the tardy reply ...

While I am am sure that the majority number of people who own & use TIME pedals love them, I would suggest that you take a pass on them ...

TIME pedals have been around for at least 10 years ... yet, they have made little in-road into the user base ...

SO, that makes them proprietary in a bad way ...

• IMO, proprietary components are obsolete when they are introduced unless they can achieve a critical mass of users

AND, that means that if you are having problems locating cleats, now, then they will probably be even more rare in the futrure.

ANOTHER problem (?) with the TIME pedals is their design -- which may-or-may-not be shared with the Crank Brothers pedals -- where the rear "rod" ([COLOR= #808080]sorry for the poor word choice[/COLOR]) which comprises the "escape" portion of the mechanism will wear a groove into the sole of the shoe if a sacrificial metal plate is not installed between the sole of the shoe & the cleat ...

• maybe, I'm thinking of the wrong pedal (design) than what the particular TIME pedal has!?!

FWIW. Choose the type of shoe you want to wear ...

• if you want a shoe that you can walk more than 150 feet in, then you probably want to choose a MTB-type shoe + a pedal which uses standard SPD cleats ...
  • if you are only planning to be walking 25 feet-or-less, then Road shoes which use a 3-point LOOK-type cleat will probably be "okay" for you ... and, if this is the case, then I recommend that you simply choose a traditional LOOK-type pedal rather than the LOOK Keo pedal or other options -- why pay more?