Change Free Hub Body on Bontrager Wheel?

Kendall

Guest
I am trying to find directions on how to change the free hub body on the
2005 Bontrager Race X Lite wheel (From Shimano to Campy. These are the DT
Swiss hubs. Its supposed to be easy but I don't see the trick and can't
find directions on line.

Thanks for any help or guidance to directions,

Ken

Kendall wrote:
> I am trying to find directions on how to change the free hub body on the
> 2005 Bontrager Race X Lite wheel (From Shimano to Campy. These are the DT
> Swiss hubs. Its supposed to be easy but I don't see the trick and can't
> find directions on line.
>
> Thanks for any help or guidance to directions,
>
> Ken

The Race X Lites I've worked on look like they use DTSwiss 240s
internals. Try
http://www.dtswiss.com/data/files/MAN_EN_41201162428.pdf

Basically, pull the rotor body straight off the axle. And don't push on
the axle end; it has to come off too. I find it helps to leave the cogs
on. I pull with my fingers behind the large cog and push with my thumbs
against the spokes.

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Kendall wrote:
>> I am trying to find directions on how to change the free hub body on the
>> 2005 Bontrager Race X Lite wheel (From Shimano to Campy. These are the
>> DT
>> Swiss hubs. Its supposed to be easy but I don't see the trick and can't
>> find directions on line.
>>
>> Thanks for any help or guidance to directions,
>>
>> Ken

> The Race X Lites I've worked on look like they use DTSwiss 240s
> internals. Try
> http://www.dtswiss.com/data/files/MAN_EN_41201162428.pdf
>
> Basically, pull the rotor body straight off the axle. And don't push on
> the axle end; it has to come off too. I find it helps to leave the cogs
> on. I pull with my fingers behind the large cog and push with my thumbs
> against the spokes.

Different hub than the 240 on the Race X Lites. But I finally got it. I
had to get a good grip with a piece of rubber on the non drive side axle
part (shroud) to pull it off. Then you can use a big Allen wrench or
something long enough to go thru the axle from the non drive side and thick
enough to not go thru the axle like the skewer would to tap out the drive
side axle part. Then the free hub body comes off. No tools required except
something to push out the drive side axle part. Interesting design.
Everything pops into place and it appears to be snug with no play. I wonder
how durable??

Thanks,

Ken

Kendall wrote:
> <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Kendall wrote:
> >> I am trying to find directions on how to change the free hub body on the
> >> 2005 Bontrager Race X Lite wheel (From Shimano to Campy. These are the
> >> DT
> >> Swiss hubs. Its supposed to be easy but I don't see the trick and can't
> >> find directions on line.
> >>
> >> Thanks for any help or guidance to directions,
> >>
> >> Ken

> > The Race X Lites I've worked on look like they use DTSwiss 240s
> > internals. Try
> > http://www.dtswiss.com/data/files/MAN_EN_41201162428.pdf
> >
> > Basically, pull the rotor body straight off the axle. And don't push on
> > the axle end; it has to come off too. I find it helps to leave the cogs
> > on. I pull with my fingers behind the large cog and push with my thumbs
> > against the spokes.

> Different hub than the 240 on the Race X Lites.

Some details are different, but the Race X Lite hubs I've seen have
been very similar (identical?) in design and function. How do yours
seem different?

> But I finally got it. I
> had to get a good grip with a piece of rubber on the non drive side axle
> part (shroud) to pull it off. Then you can use a big Allen wrench or
> something long enough to go thru the axle from the non drive side and thick
> enough to not go thru the axle like the skewer would to tap out the drive
> side axle part. Then the free hub body comes off.

Right, sounds just like the Race X Lite and 240 hubs I've worked on,
too.

> No tools required except
> something to push out the drive side axle part.

With my technique I use the freehub body to push out the drive side
axle part. ;-) But I've also used a rod to poke out the drive side axle
part. That's a good way to do it if there are no cogs in place.

> Interesting design.
> Everything pops into place and it appears to be snug with no play. I wonder
> how durable??

I've only seen the drive mechanism fail if it's allowed to get really
dirty, or if the wrong grease is used. Since it's so easy to take
apart, cleaning is a non-issue for me. Getting the special grease was a
small hassle, but now that I've got it maintenance has been a breeze.