Change from triple to double chainset on frame

Ian

Guest
Are bike frames desinged with a particular chainsets in
mind. ie. Can a bike fitted with a triple chainset be
changed to a double chainset? or would the frame be
constructed so that only a triple could be used?

TIA

Please remove NOSPAM from email to reply

Ian wrote:
> Are bike frames desinged with a particular chainsets in
> mind. ie. Can a bike fitted with a triple chainset be
> changed to a double chainset? or would the frame be
> constructed so that only a triple could be used?

I wouldn't envisage any problems that couldn't be sorted
out. Need to get the correct length bottom bracket to give a
good chain line, ask on rec.bicycles.tech they are big on
chain line over there

Ian wrote:
> Are bike frames desinged with a particular chainsets in
> mind. ie. Can a bike fitted with a triple chainset be
> changed to a double chainset? or would the frame be
> constructed so that only a triple could be used?

You can fit a double chainset to any frame that currently
has a triple. A shorter bottom bracket may be required
depending on model of cranks, but not always (Campagnolo
Veloce with 28.6 seat tube, for example).

~PB