Change my tyres

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Bill Mac, Apr 29, 2013.

1. Bill Mac

Bill Mac New Member

Hi, I want to change my MTB tyres to a narrower set as 50% of the cycling I do is on the road. I currently have 26 x 1.95 tyres fitted. Should I go for 26 x 1.50 or is there another option? Do I buy slicks or not?
    Thank you in advance.

Tags:

2. scottz123

scottz123 New Member

I would not go any narrower than 2.0/1.9 - off road ride quality would suffer (bump absorption)

Maybe something like this with pretty solid/ fast rolling center section of tire
    http://bontrager.com/model/00428

Is bike disc or rim brake?

On my old rim brake mtb I had a spare set of Vueltas off of ebay for $60 that I have road hundreds of miles (over a thousand) with no problems

3. chuck68429

chuck68429 New Member

Hey Bill Mac, I saw the above link from Scottz123 and I agree. I've had a set of those tires for about a year now and they are great! I ride light trails frequently but most of my riding is on the road. They have really good traction and they have pretty low rolling resistance on the road. I would recommend them to anyone as they are a great tire for the money, IMO.

4. vspa

vspa Active Member

tricky situation, 50/50 between road and offroad, you need to find the happy medium tyre that will do both jobs, 26 x 1.95 its not too bad for that purpose

5. AlanKnott

AlanKnott New Member

Did you change your bike's tyres? Which one did you buy (if changed)? My little bro actually wanted to do that as well.

6. yishunbicycle

yishunbicycle New Member

Hello Bill,
    I faced the same proble last month. The original tyre of my biks is 26X2.00, which is even fatter than yours.Considering I normally ride in city roads and seldomly for mount climbing, I have replace the front tyre with 26X1.50 and the rear tyre of 26X1.75.Now everything feels so good.
    Maybe you can do as I did. But I suggest you not go for slicks, as it may difficult for mountain climbing when sometimes you'd like to.

carbon wheels