Change of ID - project paint the tandem

big_h

Oct 24, 2001
I want to paint the Tandem. Does anybody out there have experience with sanblasting and powdercoating a frame. What are the pluspoints and what is the negative points. Does it have problems at a later stage. Does it chip, how do you touch up if it chips.

Keep those wheels spinning

Big H

I want to paint the Tandem. Does anybody out there have experience with sanblasting and powdercoating a frame. What are the pluspoints and what is the negative points. Does it have problems at a later stage. Does it chip, how do you touch up if it chips.

Big H

I'm not a big fan of sandblasting purely because I think it will damage the welding. I used to repaint frames as a hobby but due to space restriction I can't anymore. Anyway, if you powdercoat the frame, you will not be able to touch it up and you have to apply the decals ontop of the powdercoating. If you pray paint it with Duco car enamel and then put a coat of 2K clear enamel (car paint) over it, you can cover the decals and they will last forever. The reason you use normal enamel for the "colour" is because it dries very quickly and you can do the clear coating about 2 hours later. Before you aply the clear you must first apply all the decals. Give it thin coats of clear and sand it down after each coat. This will get rid of the edges that the decals will make. You can also go a step further and have stencils made instead of normal decals. Stencils is basically decals but it is reversed out and you will remove it after the name is sprayed on. With this technique you can give funky designs and pattens to the name that you would not be able to get with normal decals and you will not have to apply that many coats of clear to get rid of the edges.

You can always contact Cycle Art in Vereeniging. They do alot of cycles and can get it in original colours and decals if neeeded.

Hope this help.

How do I get rid of the old paint??? Paint remover, what about a primer for the aluminium??? I hear the primer is quite expensive.
They want to use glass bead blasting and cant you spray the clear cote over the powdercoat???

Big H

You can use plain paint stripper to remove the paint. You'll have to clean it afterwards with lacquer thinners or pool acid and then wash it off with water again. You don't want any paint stripper stuck somewhere.

Yes you can clear coat powder coating but why? If you gonna take the sparygun out, you might aswell spray it from the start. The primer is not that expensive but you will have to get everything from automotive paint stores preferably Duco or Standox. Powder coating also creates a thicker and heavier, just a few milligrams, covering then spraypainting so you might have to remove a bit of it when you fit your cables and stuff.