Change S720i batteries yourself?

melvyng

Nov 5, 2003
I've been using a Polar S720i for a year now and have been thinking about having the batteries changed this winter when I overhaul the bike. Has anyone had any luck changing the batteries themselves? There would be the batteries for the head unit, chest transmitter, speed sensor and cadence sensor.

Thanks for any advice,

Mel

I have only changed batteries in the watch unit. These should last a full year, and batteries in the accessories (chest strap and speed sensor) should last longer. For example, my chest strap went bad about a year after the watch battery, and my bike sensor "keeps on ticking" for almost 3 years.

I found I could not purchase the correct battery locally. I ordered them from the Interstate Batteries website. They are not readily available on the web, and this vendor was the only one that would sell a single battery.

When replacing the batteries, be very careful to seat the small rubber seal it the shallow grove correctly before replacing the back cover. If it the seal does not seat properly, the watch will not be waterproof. [I learned the hard way, but Polar came through with a no-cost replacement after mine went on the fritz.]

Good luck!

I have owed three Polar Heart Rate Monitors and have changed the batteries many times without incident. Except the last time. Water got in to the watch :( - RUST :( From now on the watch batteries will be changed by polar.

melvyng said:
I've been using a Polar S720i for a year now and have been thinking about having the batteries changed this winter when I overhaul the bike. Has anyone had any luck changing the batteries themselves? There would be the batteries for the head unit, chest transmitter, speed sensor and cadence sensor.

Thanks for any advice,

Mel