change spoke or whole w heel ?

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Rs, May 31, 2003.

  1. Rs

    Rs Guest

    I have a 10-speed road bike (Maruishi) that I have been using off and on for about 6 or 7 years. A
    friend used to tune up the spokes for me, but it hadn't been done for a few years. One winter the
    back axle snapped, and that was changed, and a summer or two ago the chain kept jumping so another
    friend put on a new back star wheel and new chain. Aside from break-blocks and cable adjustments,
    that's about it for maintenenace.

    A few weeks ago I decided to get a minor tune-up (about $55) at a local bike shop. They adjusted
    things, tightened up where the crank goes round and round, checked for the need of grease, lubed
    things up, adjusted the spokes ... and the bike seemed like new again !

    However, one spoke broke a week or so later. My question is: Should I get that spoke replaced ($10
    because of the recent tune-up, otherwise it would be $20) ... or have the whole back wheel replaced
    (maybe $50 plus labor) ... to prevent/anticipate any further spokes breaking ?

    Thanks for any opinions !

    -RS-

    Tags:

  2. Rs

    Rs Guest

    I admit, I have been riding it with the broken spoke ... while trying to make my mind up about the
    new-wheel idea ... I guess this riding is not a good idea ....

    -RS-

    "Jasper Janssen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > On Sat, 31 May 2003 14:14:49 GMT, "RS" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >However, one spoke broke a week or so later. My question is: Should I
    get
    > >that spoke replaced ($10 because of the recent tune-up, otherwise it
    would
    > >be $20) ... or have the whole back wheel replaced (maybe $50 plus labor)
    > >to prevent/anticipate any further spokes breaking ?
    >
    > Just one bad spoke does not the end of a wheel make. If it happens frequently again and again,
    > then you might be concerned. Also if you ignored the problem for so long you had 9 broken spokes.
    >
    > Jasper

  3. Harris

    Harris Guest

    "RS" wrote:

    > A friend used to tune up the spokes for me, but it hadn't been done for a few years.

    If a wheel is properly tensioned, it shouldn't go out of true and shouldn't require periodic truing.

    > However, one spoke broke a week or so later. My question is: Should I get that spoke replaced ($10
    > because of the recent tune-up, otherwise it would be $20) ... or have the whole back wheel
    > replaced (maybe $50 plus labor)

    I assume this is a drive side spoke, which will require removing the cassette/freewheel in order
    to replace.

    To determine if other spokes are getting ready to fail, try stress relieving them. Go around the
    wheel and grab two pairs of nearly parallel spokes (one pair on each side, directly opposite each
    other). Give both pair a good firm squeeze. Go around the wheel until you've done them all. If none
    break, they're probably OK.

    Are these stainless steel spokes? If not, this might be a good time to replace them.

    Art Harris

  4. On Sat, 31 May 2003 22:12:29 GMT, "RS" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I admit, I have been riding it with the broken spoke ... while trying to make my mind up about the
    >new-wheel idea ... I guess this riding is not a good idea ....

    No, it's not. I've experienced that first hand several times. This also obviously means that I don't
    easily learn from my mistakes :)

    Jasper

  5. Rs

    Rs Guest

    "Harris" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > I assume this is a drive side spoke, which will require removing the cassette/freewheel in order
    > to replace.

    Yes, it is that sid.

    > To determine if other spokes are getting ready to fail, try stress
    relieving
    > them. Go around the wheel and grab two pairs of nearly parallel spokes
    (one
    > pair on each side, directly opposite each other). Give both pair a good
    firm
    > squeeze. Go around the wheel until you've done them all. If none break, they're probably OK.

    I will give that a try.

    > Are these stainless steel spokes? If not, this might be a good time to replace them.

    They must be stainless,as there is no sign of actual rust on them ....

    -RS-