change spoke or whole w heel ?

Rs

Guest
I have a 10-speed road bike (Maruishi) that I have been using off and on for about 6 or 7 years. A
friend used to tune up the spokes for me, but it hadn't been done for a few years. One winter the
back axle snapped, and that was changed, and a summer or two ago the chain kept jumping so another
friend put on a new back star wheel and new chain. Aside from break-blocks and cable adjustments,
that's about it for maintenenace.

A few weeks ago I decided to get a minor tune-up (about $55) at a local bike shop. They adjusted
things, tightened up where the crank goes round and round, checked for the need of grease, lubed
things up, adjusted the spokes ... and the bike seemed like new again !

However, one spoke broke a week or so later. My question is: Should I get that spoke replaced ($10
because of the recent tune-up, otherwise it would be $20) ... or have the whole back wheel replaced
(maybe $50 plus labor) ... to prevent/anticipate any further spokes breaking ?

Thanks for any opinions !

-RS-

I admit, I have been riding it with the broken spoke ... while trying to make my mind up about the
new-wheel idea ... I guess this riding is not a good idea ....

-RS-

news:[email protected]...

"RS" wrote:

> A friend used to tune up the spokes for me, but it hadn't been done for a few years.

If a wheel is properly tensioned, it shouldn't go out of true and shouldn't require periodic truing.

> However, one spoke broke a week or so later. My question is: Should I get that spoke replaced ($10
> because of the recent tune-up, otherwise it would be $20) ... or have the whole back wheel
> replaced (maybe $50 plus labor)

I assume this is a drive side spoke, which will require removing the cassette/freewheel in order
to replace.

To determine if other spokes are getting ready to fail, try stress relieving them. Go around the
wheel and grab two pairs of nearly parallel spokes (one pair on each side, directly opposite each
other). Give both pair a good firm squeeze. Go around the wheel until you've done them all. If none
break, they're probably OK.

Are these stainless steel spokes? If not, this might be a good time to replace them.

Art Harris

On Sat, 31 May 2003 22:12:29 GMT, "RS" <[email protected]> wrote:

>I admit, I have been riding it with the broken spoke ... while trying to make my mind up about the
>new-wheel idea ... I guess this riding is not a good idea ....

No, it's not. I've experienced that first hand several times. This also obviously means that I don't
easily learn from my mistakes :)

Jasper

"Harris" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> I assume this is a drive side spoke, which will require removing the cassette/freewheel in order
> to replace.

Yes, it is that sid.

> To determine if other spokes are getting ready to fail, try stress
relieving
> them. Go around the wheel and grab two pairs of nearly parallel spokes
(one
> pair on each side, directly opposite each other). Give both pair a good
firm
> squeeze. Go around the wheel until you've done them all. If none break, they're probably OK.

I will give that a try.

> Are these stainless steel spokes? If not, this might be a good time to replace them.

They must be stainless,as there is no sign of actual rust on them ....

-RS-