Change travel Marzocchi X-Fly 80 to 100 mm?

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Chris Thurrott, Feb 26, 2003.

  1. Hi all:

    I seem to remember reading somewhere that it is possible to swap some internals on the X-Fly so that
    an 80 mm fork becomes a 100 mm fork. Is this true? What are the drawbacks?

    Thanks

    Chris cthurrott at yahoo dot com

    Tags:

  2. Chris Thurrott wrote:
    > Hi all:
    >
    > I seem to remember reading somewhere that it is possible to swap some internals on the X-Fly so
    > that an 80 mm fork becomes a 100 mm fork. Is this true? What are the drawbacks?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Chris cthurrott at yahoo dot com

    Expense.

    Aftermarket Marzocchi parts are quite dear. You will need to basically re-gut both legs of the fork.
    Chances are you could do this for about the same amount of shekel that you would spend on a brand
    new Black that has adjustable travel. (yes, we are talking hundreds of dollars here.)

    Currently I am having Marzocchi convert a Marathon 80 to a 100mm fork, but only because it needed
    warranty work that called for most of the internals to be replaced.

    As for X-fly, I wish I still had mine.

    My hands are full of thorns but I can't quit groping for the rose.

    > Hi all:
    >
    > I seem to remember reading somewhere that it is possible to swap some internals on the X-Fly so
    > that an 80 mm fork becomes a 100 mm fork. Is this true? What are the drawbacks?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Chris cthurrott at yahoo dot com

    On coil forks and single chamber air forks it's easy, just change the springs, but on an X-Fly I
    wouldn't even know where to start which means it probably wouldn't be worth the money to do it.
    --
    _________________________

  4. Anthony Sloan <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Chris Thurrott wrote:
    > > Hi all:
    > >
    > > I seem to remember reading somewhere that it is possible to swap some internals on the X-Fly so
    > > that an 80 mm fork becomes a 100 mm fork. Is this true? What are the drawbacks?
    > >
    > > Thanks
    > >
    > > Chris cthurrott at yahoo dot com
    >
    > Expense.
    >
    > Aftermarket Marzocchi parts are quite dear. You will need to basically re-gut both legs of the
    > fork. Chances are you could do this for about the same amount of shekel that you would spend on a
    > brand new Black that has adjustable travel. (yes, we are talking hundreds of dollars here.)
    >
    > Currently I am having Marzocchi convert a Marathon 80 to a 100mm fork, but only because it needed
    > warranty work that called for most of the internals to be replaced.
    >
    > As for X-fly, I wish I still had mine.

    Anthony:

    Thanks for your response. I wanted to see what my options were
    if/when I buy a full suspension frame. I don't think the 80mm fork would work too well on a 4"
    travel frame, so I'll have to budget for a fork if I want that much travel out back.

    Hope you get the Marathon sorted soon. The X-Fly is a great fork for my size (165 #) and
    riding style.

    -C