Change travel Marzocchi X-Fly 80 to 100 mm?

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Chris Thurrott

Hi all:

I seem to remember reading somewhere that it is possible to swap some internals on the X-Fly so that
an 80 mm fork becomes a 100 mm fork. Is this true? What are the drawbacks?

Thanks

Chris cthurrott at yahoo dot com

Chris Thurrott wrote:
> Hi all:
>
> I seem to remember reading somewhere that it is possible to swap some internals on the X-Fly so
> that an 80 mm fork becomes a 100 mm fork. Is this true? What are the drawbacks?
>
> Thanks
>
> Chris cthurrott at yahoo dot com

Expense.

Aftermarket Marzocchi parts are quite dear. You will need to basically re-gut both legs of the fork.
Chances are you could do this for about the same amount of shekel that you would spend on a brand
new Black that has adjustable travel. (yes, we are talking hundreds of dollars here.)

Currently I am having Marzocchi convert a Marathon 80 to a 100mm fork, but only because it needed
warranty work that called for most of the internals to be replaced.

As for X-fly, I wish I still had mine.

A
--
My hands are full of thorns but I can't quit groping for the rose.

In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
> Hi all:
>
> I seem to remember reading somewhere that it is possible to swap some internals on the X-Fly so
> that an 80 mm fork becomes a 100 mm fork. Is this true? What are the drawbacks?
>
> Thanks
>
> Chris cthurrott at yahoo dot com
>

On coil forks and single chamber air forks it's easy, just change the springs, but on an X-Fly I
wouldn't even know where to start which means it probably wouldn't be worth the money to do it.
--

Anthony Sloan <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> Chris Thurrott wrote:
> > Hi all:
> >
> > I seem to remember reading somewhere that it is possible to swap some internals on the X-Fly so
> > that an 80 mm fork becomes a 100 mm fork. Is this true? What are the drawbacks?
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > Chris cthurrott at yahoo dot com
>
> Expense.
>
> Aftermarket Marzocchi parts are quite dear. You will need to basically re-gut both legs of the
> fork. Chances are you could do this for about the same amount of shekel that you would spend on a
> brand new Black that has adjustable travel. (yes, we are talking hundreds of dollars here.)
>
> Currently I am having Marzocchi convert a Marathon 80 to a 100mm fork, but only because it needed
> warranty work that called for most of the internals to be replaced.
>
> As for X-fly, I wish I still had mine.
>
> A

Anthony:

Thanks for your response. I wanted to see what my options were
if/when I buy a full suspension frame. I don't think the 80mm fork would work too well on a 4"
travel frame, so I'll have to budget for a fork if I want that much travel out back.

Hope you get the Marathon sorted soon. The X-Fly is a great fork for my size (165 #) and
riding style.

-C

Status
Not open for further replies.