change triple crankset --> compact double

dannyyy said:
Its not JUST is the big ring/big cog, etc. There are plenty of other gears ratios that make that little grinding noise.

I understand where youre coming from, but I just find it a hassle to shift several cogs every timei i want to shift just one ring
Did you recently get a new chain OR has this "grinding noise" problem always existed?

Regardless, as I noted, get a 42t chainring for your middle chainring, and only use the granny and large/outer ring when you need the extra high OR low gears PARTICULARLY since you don't like to shift.

dannyyy said:
i know how to shift... :confused:

What kind of compact cranks do you recommend? Not too expensive
Dear duhhh,

I don't recommend a compact double at all. Those are for poor *s that can't afford a triple.

It does seem a lot of hassle just to avoid some grinding. I just double shift (down a front ring and up a little ring).

As per Aleng's suggestion, I'm using a 42 middle ring (with 11-21) and find that a good proportion of the riding can be accomindated between 42-12 and 42-21.

If you do change your change ring, is likely that your bottom bracket will be a little too wide, in the case of my bike the triple bottom bracket is 3mm wider than the double bottome bracket.

mikesbytes said:
As per Aleng's suggestion, I'm using a 42 middle ring (with 11-21) and find that a good proportion of the riding can be accomindated between 42-12 and 42-21.
It's interesting that the 42 middle ring works so well as the general chainring for users of triple. If that's the case, then the 39 in a regular double would actually give a slightly lower bottom end ie. Quite functional for most. So the final decision is whether one encounters tough hills to require that 30 small ring. For me, I think I would prefer safe than sorry for the geography we have here. I am now see how a regular double with a slightly wider cassette would work for those stronger riders or those who just don't encounter significant hills.

dannyyy said:
For abut half a year I've been riding a triple crankset. I'm getting sick and tired of triple's crosschain hell, so I thought I would change my crankset to a compact double.
Any triple can be ridden with less crosschaining than any double

dannyyy said:
i know how to shift... ....but I'm a bit lazy, & consequently I allow my chain to cross up more than I should
It needn’t happen like that.. :) :)

dannyyy said:
For abut half a year I've been riding a triple crankset. I'm getting sick and tired of triple's crosschain hell, so I thought I would change my crankset to a compact double.

Instead of buying a whole new crankset, can I just buy the two compact chain rings and a new bottom bracket? I would be keeping my current crank arms.

I think it would end up being much cheaper than buying the whole crankset (~$300), right?

Thanks!
I have been riding / racing on a triple (tiagra) for the past 18 months. I am about to change to a double with consideration but its a decision that takes some care.

A triple has both good and bad points.

Good
I run a 52/42/30 with a 11-21 9 speed which is a generally excellent set-up. The 42 allows speeds of 25 - 50 km/hr at good cadence meaning you hardly ever have to change from it (i do get some chain rub at either the top/low or both ends though).
Having a triple allows a nearly straight block at the back which is great for smooth riding at consistent cadence - no searching for gears.
In the low ring you can go very slow with good pedalling - great for social rides with a climb and/or races with steep or long climbs.

Bad
Seems hard to set-up
Changing up to chain rings at top of hill is a bit slow
Need to change to triple ring before bottom of hill rather than half-way up - always a chain dropping chance if you are not careful with small ring.

All in all i recommend a triple as a good investment to any non-racer and i think even racers can use it (i have quite well).

jerrek said:
Need to change to triple ring before bottom of hill rather than half-way up - always a chain dropping chance if you are not careful with small ring.
I'm new to a triple and have had huge problems changing to my inside chainring when there's any torque on the crank. I take it this is normal behavior, based on what you say here?