Road Cycling · Public discussion

Changed the chain, no big deal

Started by dgk · · Last activity · 4 posts · 412 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Road Cycling
Published
20 June 2005
Last activity
21 June 2005
Original author
dgk
Posts
4
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
412
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–4 of 4
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I soaked the new chain in Simple Green for a while, fished it out with
    a coat hanger, rinsed it off with water, let it dry, and used chain
    lube from the bike store. Then I used the tool that came in my Nashbar
    bike tool kit to punch out a pin in the old chain and pulled it off
    the bike. Hmm. It's one link longer than my new chain. I guess that
    means that I don't need to shorten the new chain any.

    I cleaned up the chainring and cassette, greased them, installed the
    new chain and used the powerlink to close it. Boy, that was easy. And
    it rides just fine. In fact, I set another new speed record into work
    this morning. 50:15, beating the old mark by more than two minutes.
    Average speed of 14.3 which isn't bad considering I have to fight
    traffic. The new clipless pedals helped quite a bit today. They still
    scare the [censored] out of me going home though. Much more traffic then.

    Now, I think I learn to replace cables.

  2. dgk said:

    Now, I think I learn to replace cables.

    Super easy, but if you don't have good cable cutters, you're up the creek...

  3. On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 17:24:34 GMT, maxo <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:
    dgk said:

    Now, I think I learn to replace cables.

    Super easy, but if you don't have good cable cutters, you're up the creek...

    I have a fair number of bikes floating around, so I bought the Park
    Tool CN-10. I also bought two teflon-coated pre-stretched inner brake
    cables and a cable+housing set that is for the derailers. These are
    all long enough to be for the back brake/derailers, I don't see an
    option for front ones. I guess I cut to fit.

    My plan is to learn enough to fix up some of the older bikes filling
    up the garage and give them away. I get to learn and someone gets a
    bike. Seems like a fair deal.

    I'm going to try to get to the Time's Up repair sessions but there is
    just so little time.

  4. dgk said:

    On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 17:24:34 GMT, maxo <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:
    dgk said:

    Now, I think I learn to replace cables.

    Super easy, but if you don't have good cable cutters, you're up the creek...

    I have a fair number of bikes floating around, so I bought the Park
    Tool CN-10. I also bought two teflon-coated pre-stretched inner brake
    cables and a cable+housing set that is for the derailers. These are
    all long enough to be for the back brake/derailers, I don't see an
    option for front ones. I guess I cut to fit.

    My plan is to learn enough to fix up some of the older bikes filling
    up the garage and give them away. I get to learn and someone gets a
    bike. Seems like a fair deal.

    I'm going to try to get to the Time's Up repair sessions but there is
    just so little time.

    I just learned how to change a chain too (after mistakingly completely
    removing a couple of pins!).

    I just got an old C. Itoh bike for free from a friend. Ol' Sheldon
    Brown says that they were pretty crumby bikes from the 70s, so that
    means this was a crumby bike that sat in a shed for about 20 years. I
    totally took off the derailleurs and I'm gonna make it (some way or
    another) a single speed that I use for going around campus. The Civil
    Engineering building is only about a mile (tops) away from my house.
    The brakes themselves are fine, but the cables are rusty and brittle.
    If I figure anything out in the next two weeks, I'll drop ya a line.

    Good luck!
    \\paul

    --
    Paul M. Hobson
    Georgia Institute of Technology
    http://www.underthecouch.org
    ..:you may want to fix my email
    address before you send anything:.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.