Changes to PT SL and wheel wanted

peterpen

Jul 29, 2003
FYI, I sent my PT SL hub in to have its bearings replaced (and get a new sharkfin sensor, was getting some dropouts.) I just called to check on the status of the repair and was told that, as of today, production of SL units has been halted and they are making changes to manufacturing process. No new units or repairs for 2.5 weeks.

I grilled the poor customer service kid but he didn't have any real info as to what was going on. Does anybody here?

And, I've decided I need a backup PT wheel (Campy), so if anybody in the SF Bay Area has one they want to sell (or even rent) please PM me.

peterpen said:
FYI, I sent my PT SL hub in to have its bearings replaced (and get a new sharkfin sensor, was getting some dropouts.) I just called to check on the status of the repair and was told that, as of today, production of SL units has been halted and they are making changes to manufacturing process. No new units or repairs for 2.5 weeks.

I grilled the poor customer service kid but he didn't have any real info as to what was going on. Does anybody here?
Hmmm, wonder if this is an unintentional announcement of commencement of production of the SL2.4?

RapDaddyo said:
Hmmm, wonder if this is an unintentional announcement of commencement of production of the SL2.4?
So, I guess this would be a bad time to order that PT SL that I've been thinking about? :D

On second thought, I'd probably still get about 12 months of use out of an SL while they catch up on back orders, right? ;)

RapDaddyo said:

I dunno - it's not a good way to inspire confidence. All I had asked for was new bearings and the updated sensor (unit was 6 mos old/ 5000+ miles) neither of which should have anything to do with manufacturing and now I'm f@cked for probably 3 weeks of training. (Actually, 5 b/c my shop bungled the shipping and it didn't make it out for 10 days after I dropped it off. :mad: but of course that isn't CycleOps fault.)

I guess I should look on the bright side - it's a chance to work on my RPE skills and use those rear wheels that have been gathering dust. Nor did the lack of PM keep me from winning my RR yesterday either, although I'd like to have had the file for ego-stroking purposes. ;) Just glad I'm in a transition period and not dealing with this **** a month before targets.

frenchyge said:
So, I guess this would be a bad time to order that PT SL that I've been thinking about? :D

On second thought, I'd probably still get about 12 months of use out of an SL while they catch up on back orders, right? ;)
Who knows, maybe if they are about to introduce the SL2.4 they may drop the price of the SL a bit. Anyway, you just need the hub, right?

I've heard rumors of a wireless version coming out in the summer. On another post, someone had a link to an online dealer that had posted a description of the wireless version. I have not heard rumors on whether or not they will continue to mfg the wired models.

peterpen said:
I guess I should look on the bright side - it's a chance to work on my RPE skills and use those rear wheels that have been gathering dust. Nor did the lack of PM keep me from winning my RR yesterday either, although I'd like to have had the file for ego-stroking purposes. ;) Just glad I'm in a transition period and not dealing with this **** a month before targets.

PP -- dude you are freaking smoking this year. So I have to ask... what are the target races if a top 5 at Copperopolis and winning Berkeley Hills are just "training races"? Sheesh! Upgrade on the horizon?

shawndoggy said:
PP -- dude you are freaking smoking this year. So I have to ask... what are the target races if a top 5 at Copperopolis and winning Berkeley Hills are just "training races"? Sheesh! Upgrade on the horizon?

Don't worry - I'm upgrading, just paying back the team first. My spring target was Wente RR and I succeeded there, plus I got lucky at some other races in April as well. At Berkeley, I was just riding for a teammate and managed to help him to his first top 10 in a RR, but on that last hill it's every man for himself so... Gotta strike while the iron is hot, eh? :p

I'm extra peeved I don't have the PowerTap right now b/c I feel like I'm flying and it would be nice to quantify it. Considering how I tapered in April, I'm surprised the bottom hasn't dropped out by now. Or maybe it has but everybody else is riding like ****? I'll know in a few weeks. At least I should have the PT back in time to record the gory details when I get my first smackdown from the 3's. :eek: Then I'll have plenty of motivation to reload before my summer target.

Saris is changing that way that the SL hub is sealed. Instead of sealing the entire hub off with o-rings on the drive and non drive sides of the hub, the hub will now be sealed 100% just around the torque tube inside the hub.

By sealing just the torque tube, the hub will no longer be afftected by moisture or water contamination. The hub will be able to get water in it, but the entire power measuring unit will be 100% sealed and bombproof.

Both wired and wireless models of the PT SL will be produced still.

I too have my PT SL kick out this week right at my peak events....oh well, at least I won't be slowed down by "pacing" myself too slow for my peak events!

shawndoggy said:
Masters Districts RR?

Nah, my team is focused on Elite 3 so it'll be a CalCup race. But I'll do Diamond Valley just to get a feel for the course (and get my @ss handed to me by Dan Martin, Hutchinson, etc.)

BTT, while it's nice that Saris is sealing the torque tube, I wish they'd also upgrade to better bearings. 6 mos./ 5000mi. is not an acceptable lifespan as far as I'm concerned. Are there any aftermarket upgrades out there?

EpicriderGMAC said:
Saris is changing that way that the SL hub is sealed. Instead of sealing the entire hub off with o-rings on the drive and non drive sides of the hub, the hub will now be sealed 100% just around the torque tube inside the hub.

By sealing just the torque tube, the hub will no longer be afftected by moisture or water contamination. The hub will be able to get water in it, but the entire power measuring unit will be 100% sealed and bombproof.
!

Water can still get past the cover to the batteries, yes? I wonder about using some silicone to seal around the edges of the cover to keep water out. It's easy enough to remove that silicone when access is needed.

peterpen said:
Nah, my team is focused on Elite 3 so it'll be a CalCup race. But I'll do Diamond Valley just to get a feel for the course (and get my @ss handed to me by Dan Martin, Hutchinson, etc.)

BTT, while it's nice that Saris is sealing the torque tube, I wish they'd also upgrade to better bearings. 6 mos./ 5000mi. is not an acceptable lifespan as far as I'm concerned. Are there any aftermarket upgrades out there?

This was on the wattage list a few days ago, but it sounds like they are talking about the pro hub, not the SL (butcha might call and see if they're doing the SL too):

I recently found out about a very interesting option for those PT owners who are looking to upgrade to a better bearing for the PT. The Pony Shop is our local bike shop (and sponsor of the 2CC racing team) and they have been replacing the bearings in PT hubs with ceramic bearings... They have even taken it to the point that they have customers shipping them their wheels and the Pony Shop installs new bearings and ships the wheel back. From talking to Lou and Chris (who do the actual work) propoer installation is critical. (READ: Don't try this at home)

Here are the details straight from Lou, the owner of the shop:

We will replace the stock parts with the following:

- The sealed bearing on the nondriveside is replaced with a silicon nitrate (ceramic) hybrid bearing

- The 9 ball bearings on the driveside are replaced with 9 silicon nitrate (ceramic) balls

- The stock driveside bearing cone is replaced with a Shimano Dura Ace cone (the best quality cone available)

This fix not only makes the hub much more efficient and smooth, but it also substantially increases the longevity. The silicon nitrate bearings are also slightly lighter, which is an added bonus.

This is not cheap, but it seems to be a great solution to the quality problems with PT bearings. If you are interested, call the Pony Shop directly and ask for Lou or Chris. (847) 864-5775.

Disclaimer: I have no affiliation with them other than being a long time, loyal customer and huge fan of their service.

- Troy Henikoff, Chicago.

shawndoggy said:
This was on the wattage list a few days ago, but it sounds like they are talking about the pro hub, not the SL (butcha might call and see if they're doing the SL too):

I saw that, but ignored it since a) it's for the Pro and b) they're pushing ceramic bearings. Unless you drop $500 a bearing for the real deal, ceramics can actually be worse. (Not to mention the fact that energy lost due to bearing friction is so minute it's practically irrelevant.) I just want something more durable, so I don't have to send it back to Wisconsin again.