changes to workouts. Does this sound sensible?

Discussion in 'Power Training' started by giannip, Mar 19, 2007.

1. giannip

giannip New Member

Hi

So last week was a rest week in my training (following workouts from Andy's and Hunter's book).

Racing started here 2 weeks ago and so I decided that as our 3 day tour is coming up in the next 2.5 weeks, I would do as much racing as possible.

The week's workouts were meant to be as follows (week 12 in the book):

Mon - Rest
    Tue - Active Recovery 1.25 hrs
    Wed - AR 1.25hrs
    Thu - AR 1.25hrs
    Fri - Rest
    Sat - 15min warmup + 1.5hr End / Tempo + 15min cooldown
    Sun - Rest

This is what was changed

Fri - Tune up (1.5hrs ride + 3 x 1min hard efforts with min of 5 rest between & 3 x 30s hard sprints with min 5min rest)
    Sat - 63ml race
    Sun - 40ml race (new 20min NP record for me)

The upcoming week was meant to be as follows (week13):

Mon - L6
    Tue - L7
    Wed - L4
    Thur - L1 / 2
    Fri - AR
    Sat - L4
    Sun - L3 + L6

Taking into account the races I did instead of the workouts, I decided to take today off and depending on how I feel, carry on as per plan from Tuesday OR if I feel a bit low still, to do an AR ride on Tuesday and then carry on with the workouts from Wed, Thursday, change Fri to a tune up and change sat, sun to races.

Hope this makes sense.....

Current TSB is at -32.5 and if I check to see what tomorrow's would be it would be at at -19.7 after today's rest.

Tags:

2. jetnjeff

jetnjeff New Member

No wonder you need a rest day. Your rest week seemed excessive (unless you were burnt out) and your intensity days came to manny in a row and not enough rest days put in.

Recovery rides should only be 30 to 60 minutes and feel like a gently walk.
    Infact I often take an actual walk in the park with my wife on these days.

Edit Maybe let us us know what you were doing prior and what you are planning the next week ends before your next race.

3. giannip

giannip New Member

The workouts I follow are beased on 3 week build and 1 week recovery so that's the reson for so many recovery days I suppose. The AR rides themseelves are usually 1hr max 1h15min and at < 140W for me.

I outlined next week's workouts but I guess I should add more details. Will do as soon as I get a achance.

Thanks.
    G

4. jetnjeff

jetnjeff New Member

So have you been following the "Plan" in the book from week one?

Cause it was intended as a "Serving Suggestion" Like on the breakfast cereal box that shows fruits and berries mixed in but are not in the box.

You definitely need to modify the plan after you threw in:

This became a 2-3 day intense block. So Probably 2 days of rest are needed.
    One being a 30-60 min MAX L1 AR ride. Less is better, more is worse in this situation.

There has been a lot of talk lately of whether dedicated L6 is needed to race longer races than track events. Due to the extra recovery required and the resulting drop in volume.

If you are self coached you need to find out how many days of going hard you can do and how log each "Block" takes to recover from.

Week 13 becomes an intense 4 day block with only 1 day of recovery before hitting it again

In general for 2 days you need 1 day of recovery, 3 you need 2 and 4 you need 3. But this varies by individual and how hard the hard days are and how well you recover, how much sleep you get and how well you refuel and relax.

5. giannip

giannip New Member

Yup, I'm eating the serving suggestion. :D

The reason why I did this is that I wanted to learn while getting ready for this year's racing. I did not want to make a huge mistake while learning about power training so I thought it would be a good start.

I know the fruit etc is no in the box but I probably would have done myself more harm by inventing my own plan. Now I actually have a good start and finishing in the first group in the races.

Yes, I was thinking abut the L6 workout and have decide to leave that out this week due to the racing going on over the week-ends. I think that they will give me good enough workouts :D I will concentrate mainly on L4 + Endurance and Tempo. My main aim is to not get to the 3 day stage race overcooked and would rather be slighlty underdone :rolleyes:
    I actually did that. I took yesterday off and today I did a 40min AR ride.

Now that the racing has started I realised I would need to be more flexible with regards to the "plan".

The great thing is that I can get an idea from the races what is missing or what I need to work on.

6. giannip

giannip New Member

and now I have a cold..........................

some great races coming up + 3 day stage race in 2 weeks.!

almost about to take the "ride through it" route but I'm sure that will just make things worse.

7. jetnjeff

jetnjeff New Member

What are the dates for your 3 day race, April 6,7 and 8

8. giannip

giannip New Member

Hi

7,8,9th of April. 3 days 4 stages.

2 on Saturday: 1 4ml TT + 50ml stage in afternoon.

It's a head cold. Hevy one bit hoping it doesn't move down. WIll take off easy for the next few days and just start with a short ride to see how I feel once the symptoms are gone.

Can't see trying to do anything to catch on missed days going to help. Probably make me sick again so will just have to make do with what I've done up to now.

Hopefully the week before I can get one or two tune up rides in.

9. giannip

giannip New Member

why do you ask ?

10. jetnjeff

jetnjeff New Member

Cause with 2 weeks to go the rest you just got could just make you fresh for a peak week and a taper.

May be a silver lining type of thing.:)

11. giannip

giannip New Member

the worst of the effects are gone bu the nose is still quite erm..blocked

I have decided to give it another day before I go out for a short spin to see how I feel. That makes it 6 days off.....

I'm hoping to do a shortish race on Saturday if all feels well and then I suppose just try and prepare for the event as best as possible the next week... have never planned a taper before to be honest :D