Changing a bike seat - can I DIY it?

Volnix

Feb 19, 2011
Hi

I recently bought a new seat for my bike. Its more comfortable then the previous one the bike had on but its still not as comfy as the one I had on my previous bike.

I was thinking of changing the seats my self. Put the new one on the previous bike and use the one from the previous one on the new bike.

Problem is that I dont have a torque wrench. Just some allen keys, screwdrivers etc.

Is a torque wrench essential when changing the bike seat? Is there a chance that I might "damage" the seat rails or not "secure" them enough due to the wrong torque applyied?

Thanks. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/smile.gif

Steel rails, I wouldn't worry about it. never used anything more exotic, so I can't help there.

Unless your saddle has rails made of something exotic, like carbon fiber or hollow titanium, then it's pretty difficult to break a saddle or a seat post. Except for the exotics, the rails are usually stronger than the clamp, and most modern posts are very good at keeping a solid grip without a whole lot of torque. Tighten firmly with one hand and test.

"Is a torque wrench essential when changing the bike seat?"

No, but Harbor Freight has the 1/4" drive torque wrench on sale for $10-$15. The 4% resolution in the tightening direction is industry standard for automotive applications.

http://www.harborfreight.com/1-4-quarter-inch-drive-click-type-torque-wrench-2696.html $20 regular price

The current in-store flyer lists your choice of 1/4", 3/8" or 1/2" drive sizes for $9.95 each.

aside from the wrench there are other considerations, more important in my opinion, you need to measure the distance from the tip of the saddle to your handlebars and measure the distance from the middle of the BB to the middle point in the saddle and you have to level the seat with a special tool to see that it is parallel to the ground, p.s. as a rule of thumb anything you tighten on the bike needs the same approach, do not use all your force on it (overtightening) do not let it loose of course (tightening on increments for example, a little, then a little more until it feels ok)

Originally Posted by CAMPYBOB .

"Is a torque wrench essential when changing the bike seat?"

No, but Harbor Freight has the 1/4" drive torque wrench on sale for $10-$15. The 4% resolution in the tightening direction is industry standard for automotive applications.

http://www.harborfreight.com/1-4-quarter-inch-drive-click-type-torque-wrench-2696.html $20 regular price

The current in-store flyer lists your choice of 1/4", 3/8" or 1/2" drive sizes for $9.95 each.
Yeah but they are gonna charge me another $$ to send it over here... /img/vbsmilies/smilies/frown.gif If they ship to Europe.

Originally Posted by vspa .

you need to measure the distance from the tip of the saddle to your handlebars and measure the distance from the middle of the BB to the middle point in the saddle and you have to level the seat with a special tool to see that it is parallel to the ground,
I think that will be ok, I have a spirit level and I also watched a video on how to place a board or a book on the seat and then measure with the spirit level to make sure its parallel to the ground.

Originally Posted by Volnix .

I think that will be ok, I have a spirit level and I also watched a video on how to place a board or a book on the seat and then measure with the spirit level to make sure its parallel to the ground.
Well....

Level to the ground is a good place to start, but its your body - not the spirit level - that calls the shots. If you end up with a little tilt either way, and you can ride in comfort, that's good enough.

yes and then, if you chose to tilt, you will remember the setup with the spirit level every time you change saddles or use a new bike

Thanks for the replies. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/smile.gif I think thats what the instructions on the video were too, to start with a parallel to the ground seat and then make adjustments.

the seat rails don't Easily be destroyed.
About the question of torque,Not necessarily to use the torque spanner.
Just make sure that fixed firmly enough..
My bike is assembled by myself..
Just with the wrenches and screwdrivers...

Originally Posted by jimmy8813 .

the seat rails don't Easily be destroyed.
About the question of torque,Not necessarily to use the torque spanner.
Just make sure that fixed firmly enough..
My bike is assembled by myself..
Just with the wrenches and screwdrivers...
Thanks for all the replies.

I have allready changed the seat.

Thanks again.