Changing a double to a triple chainring

James Lodberg

Guest
> Was RE:Convert 105 STI double to triple?
>
> I'm planning on getting a triple crank for my road/touring bike. Is it possible to upgrade my
> double/8-spd 105 STI levers to work with the triple, without having to replace the whole lever?
[snip]

Howdy again,

Sorry folks, I missed the thread from earlier this year! Let me elaborate on my situation, see
comments below:

> "Fred" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > I have a Raleigh R700 with double 105 chain ring. I recently moved to the mountains and
> > desperately need a triple crank (ok, I am a wimp). Can I easily change out the crank/chain rings
> > but use the same front derailer?
> >
> > Thanks
>
> Lots of ppl have done this.
>
> You'll need a triple FDR, a long cage RDR, a triple crankset, and a longer bottom bracket (the one
> recommended for the crankset).

I have all this - the bike actually used to be my triple/8-spd XC mountain bike, now converted to a
road & touring machine. I still use the long-cage rear derailleur, and triple front derailleur
together with newly acquired, albeit used, drop bars & 105 STI levers. The crank is a TA Zephyr with
the granny ring removed. This setup works great - no compatibility or shifting problems at all. I
also have a spare bottom bracket with a 2.5mm longer axle, and a small chainring, both of which
gather dust til the day I get a triple shifter.

> You MAY need a new left shifter

That's what I'm trying to avoid, due to cost...

> Shimano shifters (Tiagra and up - Shimano 105 ST-55XX) are double/triple compatible - older
> Shimano stuff is double (Shimano 105 ST-1055)or triple (Shimano 105 ST-1055-T) only

...and the fact that I can't buy a new one anyway (I have the old ST-1055, and would like to stay
with them for now)

> check the Shimano Europe site - http://www.shimano-europe.com/cycling/index.phtml or here -
> http://www.fa-technik.adfc.de/Hersteller/Shimano/DIGEST.html for older stuff.

Great link - thanks! I'm hoping to be able to simply replace the ratchet unit in the left shifter
with the ratchet from the triple version (see link to image, below).

http://www.fa-technik.adfc.de/Hersteller/Shimano/G/ST-1055.gif

Or is there more to it than this?

> Changing the cassette to something with larger sprockets is an alternative, and cheaper,
> option, but you will end up with larger steps between the sprockets - this may or may not be
> acceptable to you.

Good advice, but it's not for me. Part of the MTB-road conversion involved ditching the MTB cassette
in favour of a nice close-ratio 12-23T road cassette. (I love to spin!)

Cheers, James