Changing a MTB Chainset to Road?

julian11111

Feb 25, 2007
I have bought an Orange gringo:

http://www.orangebikes.co.uk/2006bikes/gringo.php

and put on some slick tyres on it and its starting to out-run the Mountain Bike gears, on the flat, on the road. I have been recommended that I might need to change the Chainset / Crankshaft so that it runs fast for commuting on the road. It wont be used on the rough at all.

I have a 42T tooth outer ring, would a 48T outer ring do the job or would anyone recommend a jump to a 50T or 53T even? Is this even possible. Any other ideas out there instead to make my bike go faster on the road?
Thanks, Julian

Thanks I will check that thread out and have a look at my bikes rear gears and get back to you! Jules

LX and Deore front derailleurs are rated for up to a 48 tooth chainring. If you use a chainring that's bigger than that you have to move the derailleur up to keep the heel of the cage from rubbing the chainring. It looks goofy and it impairs shifting.

The problem with fitting a road front derailleur to go with the road crankset is cable routing. All road front derailleurs are bottom pull and your frame is designed for top pull.

If the chainrings are too big you may have problems with them rubbing the chainstay too.