changing a rear disk brake to a rim brake

Jeremy Watts

Guest
hi,

yes i have posted a similar message to this a few months back, but i'm still
wanting to change a rear disk brake to a block or rim style one.

before you all start, there is a rationale to all this... basically i've
bought a small engine that i want to fit to the bike, and it only works on
bikes with a rear rim style brake not a disk.

annoyingly the bike has the option to fit either disks or blocks to the
front but only disks on the back. there are no 'pivot points' on the rear
of the frame that would allow caliper brakes to be fitted.

so this means that i can either use a 'back pedal' type brake (expensive and
fit in the bottom bracket), or i can get a welder to weld on pivot positions
on the frame so that i can then fit standard caliper brakes, or i can find a
type of caliper brake that only needs a single pivot position (probably the
cheapest and easiest option)

so.... looking on wikipedia at bike braking systems
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bicycle_brake_systems
i notice that theres a type of brake called the 'single pivot side-pull
caliper brake', that seems to only need pivoting at a single point above the
wheel. looking at the frame then there is what looks like a suitable
position on the frame that could act as this pivot point.

anyone any ideas where i can buy these sort of brakes?

thanks

On Nov 29, 6:29 am, "Jeremy Watts" <[email protected]> wrote:
> hi,
>
> yes i have posted a similar message to this a few months back, but i'm still
> wanting to change a rear disk brake to a block or rim style one.
>
> before you all start, there is a rationale to all this... basically i've
> bought a small engine that i want to fit to the bike, and it only works on
> bikes with a rear rim style brake not a disk.
>
> annoyingly the bike has the option to fit either disks or blocks to the
> front but only disks on the back. there are no 'pivot points' on the rear
> of the frame that would allow caliper brakes to be fitted.
>
> so this means that i can either use a 'back pedal' type brake (expensive and
> fit in the bottom bracket), or i can get a welder to weld on pivot positions
> on the frame so that i can then fit standard caliper brakes, or i can find a
> type of caliper brake that only needs a single pivot position (probably the
> cheapest and easiest option)
>
> so.... looking on wikipedia at bike braking systemshttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bicycle_brake_systems
> i notice that theres a type of brake called the 'single pivot side-pull
> caliper brake', that seems to only need pivoting at a single point above the
> wheel. looking at the frame then there is what looks like a suitable
> position on the frame that could act as this pivot point.
>
> anyone any ideas where i can buy these sort of brakes?
>
> thanks

What kind of frame are we talking about that doesn't have v-brake
mounts?

/s

"Scott Gordo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Nov 29, 6:29 am, "Jeremy Watts" <[email protected]> wrote:
>> hi,
>>
>> yes i have posted a similar message to this a few months back, but i'm
>> still
>> wanting to change a rear disk brake to a block or rim style one.
>>
>> before you all start, there is a rationale to all this... basically i've
>> bought a small engine that i want to fit to the bike, and it only works
>> on
>> bikes with a rear rim style brake not a disk.
>>
>> annoyingly the bike has the option to fit either disks or blocks to the
>> front but only disks on the back. there are no 'pivot points' on the
>> rear
>> of the frame that would allow caliper brakes to be fitted.
>>
>> so this means that i can either use a 'back pedal' type brake (expensive
>> and
>> fit in the bottom bracket), or i can get a welder to weld on pivot
>> positions
>> on the frame so that i can then fit standard caliper brakes, or i can
>> find a
>> type of caliper brake that only needs a single pivot position (probably
>> the
>> cheapest and easiest option)
>>
>> so.... looking on wikipedia at bike braking
>> systemshttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bicycle_brake_systems
>> i notice that theres a type of brake called the 'single pivot side-pull
>> caliper brake', that seems to only need pivoting at a single point above
>> the
>> wheel. looking at the frame then there is what looks like a suitable
>> position on the frame that could act as this pivot point.
>>
>> anyone any ideas where i can buy these sort of brakes?
>>
>> thanks

> What kind of frame are we talking about that doesn't have v-brake
> mounts?

no rear mounts, front yes, the option is there to fit v-brakes, but
definitely there is no rear mounts on the frame - its a halfords carrera
kraken bike about 5yrs old

On Nov 29, 9:42 am, "Jeremy Watts" <[email protected]> wrote:
> "Scott Gordo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
> news:[email protected]...
>

> > On Nov 29, 6:29 am, "Jeremy Watts" <[email protected]> wrote:
> >> hi,

> >> yes i have posted a similar message to this a few months back, but i'm
> >> still
> >> wanting to change a rear disk brake to a block or rim style one.

> >> before you all start, there is a rationale to all this... basically i've
> >> bought a small engine that i want to fit to the bike, and it only works
> >> on
> >> bikes with a rear rim style brake not a disk.

> >> annoyingly the bike has the option to fit either disks or blocks to the
> >> front but only disks on the back. there are no 'pivot points' on the
> >> rear
> >> of the frame that would allow caliper brakes to be fitted.

> >> so this means that i can either use a 'back pedal' type brake (expensive
> >> and
> >> fit in the bottom bracket), or i can get a welder to weld on pivot
> >> positions
> >> on the frame so that i can then fit standard caliper brakes, or i can
> >> find a
> >> type of caliper brake that only needs a single pivot position (probably
> >> the
> >> cheapest and easiest option)

> >> so.... looking on wikipedia at bike braking
> >> systemshttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bicycle_brake_systems
> >> i notice that theres a type of brake called the 'single pivot side-pull
> >> caliper brake', that seems to only need pivoting at a single point above
> >> the
> >> wheel. looking at the frame then there is what looks like a suitable
> >> position on the frame that could act as this pivot point.

> >> anyone any ideas where i can buy these sort of brakes?

> >> thanks

> > What kind of frame are we talking about that doesn't have v-brake
> > mounts?

> no rear mounts, front yes, the option is there to fit v-brakes, but
> definitely there is no rear mounts on the frame - its a halfords carrera
> kraken bike about 5yrs old
>

> > /s- Hide quoted text -

Get another hardtail frame off ebay. You may even be able to sell your
old frame for the same price as the replacement. I just picked up a
2005 Raleigh hardtail for less then 50 quid.