Changing a Shimano Free-hub free-wheel body

billovitch

Sep 8, 2004
In order to get off a Shimano free-wheel body (free-hub type) you have to remove the axle and use a big Allen (hex) spanner or the Shimano removing tool - and a lot of oomph.

As I have about four rear wheels in very nice condition, I would like to replace the 7 speed freewheels with 9 or 10 speed. I know how to build/true/dish a wheel so that isn't a problem. I realise that I will also require appropriate axles and packing.

My question is, will a 9 or a 10 speed body fit the hub shell, or have Shimano changed the thread / fitting?

I appreciate your advice / knowledge.

Billovitch

:D
billovitch said:
In order to get off a Shimano free-wheel body (free-hub type) you have to remove the axle and use a big Allen (hex) spanner or the Shimano removing tool - and a lot of oomph.

As I have about four rear wheels in very nice condition, I would like to replace the 7 speed freewheels with 9 or 10 speed. I know how to build/true/dish a wheel so that isn't a problem. I realise that I will also require appropriate axles and packing.

My question is, will a 9 or a 10 speed body fit the hub shell, or have Shimano changed the thread / fitting?

Billovitch

Yes, it is possible in most cases, but may not be feasible.
Sheldon Brown addresses the issues in his article:
http://sheldonbrown.com/k7.html#transplant
Under the Sub-Link Body Transplantation

billovitch said:

Billovitch

Hello

I have done this kind of transplants, and I ended up with very good results, but I notice that I had spent a lot of money, time and effort waiting and seaching the components, redishing and so on.

Freewheels are very expensive, also axles.

My sugestion is: get a new hub and rebulid the wheel if you know how to do it. If the wheel is in "very nice condition" you can reuse the spokes.

froque

Thank you gents.

Yep I thought of a complete rebuild but the hub is in such good shape it seems a waste. Actually Sheldon Brown (thanks for the reference) doesn't specifically state that the 9 speed will fit although it seems pretty clear that the 10 speed won't.

Billovitch