Changing Bottom Brackets

Brothrmark

Aug 6, 2005
my father told me "never buy something for $10 when you could build it yourself for $20." with that in mind i'm looking at swapping my specialized allez's triple chainring with a compact double from nashbar. i don't like the way the triple shifts, and i rarely use the small ring as it is. i really feel the compact is the way for me to go.

my question is whether or not i can replace the allez's square taper 68 x 118 bb with the 68 x 108mm ISIS BB. i have no experience with new bike maintainence and don't understand all the bb options. i'll be taking the park school course when it comes to town this winter but i'd like to do this now. the allez [which i love] is replacing a 20 y.o. raliegh olympian which is taking a long and well deserved nap.

one more unrelated question... is it really okay to by aftermarket accessories based on style as well as function? to read the forums the answer is loud "no" ["you can't see it when you're riding"] but it inevitably comes from someone who is riding an orbea in full euskatel kit. i ask because i am looking at new wheels and like the neuvations as much for their looks as for their specs.

thanks,

mark

Brothrmark said:
my question is whether or not i can replace the allez's square taper 68 x 118 bb with the 68 x 108mm ISIS BB. i have no experience with new bike maintainence and don't understand all the bb options. i'll be taking the park school course when it comes to town this winter but i'd like to do this now.
www.parktool.com has the drill on replacing BB in the repair section...The Zinn maintnance book is about $20. ...Pretty much a no brainer.

Brothrmark said:
one more unrelated question... is it really okay to by aftermarket accessories based on style as well as function? to read the forums the answer is loud "no" ["you can't see it when you're riding"] but it inevitably comes from someone who is riding an orbea in full euskatel kit. i ask because i am looking at new wheels and like the neuvations as much for their looks as for their specs.

thanks,

mark
Your bike, your money. Ride what YOU want.

Simple answer; 68mm (assuming english threading) is the only measurement your frame cares about. Match the spindle length/shape to the cranks and you'll be fine.

Style is all about your preference. Neuvations are a decent wheel for the cheap bucks. Search this forum; tons of post on the M28 aero and it's clones Performance Titan and Supergo Korso, the latter being a great deal.

thanks all, for the advice. i didn't know if bb's had differing diameters or thead patterns.

follow-up question: am i down-grading by looking at the nashbar house brand?

Neuvation has a new one out called the R28 that i am looking at right now. Nice wheel. Great Price.