changing campy crank

Volker

Guest
i got myself a new campy crank (veloce 9 speed) and want to replace my old one with it. three
questions i got.

first question: to me it looks like i need simply a socket wrench / allen key of the right size. but
what size is it , 14 mm ? some bir bikestore around the corner offers such crank removal tools at
reasonable prizes, but they only got some idiots working there, so i don't want to ask them, that's
why i ask here.

second question: what is the direction of the winding/thread of the screws that have to be
removed? a left winding on the right-side screw and right winding on the left-side screw, or am i
totally wrong?

third question: is there anything else to be paid attention to ? put some grease on the screws,
don't use to much force while tightening the screws ... ?

any comments would be deeply appreciated. thanks in advance.

volker

Volker wrote:
> i got myself a new campy crank (veloce 9 speed) and want to replace my old one with it. three
> questions i got.
>
> first question: to me it looks like i need simply a socket wrench / allen key of the right size.
> but what size is it , 14 mm ?

What are the old cranks? Campag cranks and many others of recent years take an 8mm allen key (and
your new ones will need one or a wrench with an 8mm bit to fit). Some older cranks require a 14 or
15mm socket - a suitable socket is part of some crank remover tools.

Instructions: http://www.parktool.com/repair_help/FAQrCarm.shtml

or http://www.parktool.com/repair_help/Pipe_Billet_Spindle_type.shtml if cranks are splined type.

It is wise to use a torque wrench for fitting cranks because it's not easy to know how much torque
to use as you're not simply tightening a bolt but pressing (wedging) the crank onto the tapered
spindle with the bolt. Much more force is required than is used on most normal bike bolts. Get the
torque value from the Campagnolo website.

Definitely grease bolts (threads and under heads, etc). Traditionally, the spindle is kept dry but
there is an advantage to greasing it. See http://draco.acs.uci.edu/rbfaq/FAQ/8f.11.html

~PB