changing campy cranks question

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Chris, May 16, 2003.

  1. Chris

    Chris Guest

    I'm changing cranks on my Campy setup, and was wondering if I should use either grease or anti-seize
    compound when I reinstall them. How about the chainring bolts? Thanks.

    Tags:

  2. Russell Yim

    Russell Yim Guest

    Lubricate (or Loctite) any threaded assembly, so you should do so for the crank bolts and chainring
    bolts. There is some (perhaps a lot) disagreement about the spindle/crank interface...some say to
    lighly lubricate the flats, some say it should be dry. I think it should be dry and clean.

  3. Chris wrote:

    > I'm changing cranks on my Campy setup, and was wondering if I should use either grease or
    > anti-seize compound when I reinstall them. How about the chainring bolts? Thanks.

    just to start this B again - Don't grease the spindle! grease the bolt threads. Campy specificly
    says to put the arms on *ungreased*

  4. tut-<< I'm changing cranks on my Campy setup, and was wondering if I should use either grease or
    anti-seize compound when I reinstall them. How about the chainring bolts?

    -Lube or antisieze into the BB sheel of the frameset. -Lube into the cups of the BB. Either one
    comes off(AC-H) or both(Record and Chorus). -Lube or antisiewze on the chainrinmg bolts and a wee
    bit on the crank flats where the rings live. -Dry spindle, as per Campagnolo's recommendation and
    torque to 23.6-28 ft-lbs, per Campagnolo spec.

  5. Robin Hubert

    Robin Hubert Guest

    I like superglue.

    --
    Robin Hubert <[email protected]>

    "Chris" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I'm changing cranks on my Campy setup, and was wondering if I should use either grease or
    > anti-seize compound when I reinstall them. How about the chainring bolts? Thanks.

  6. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    Chris wrote:
    > I'm changing cranks on my Campy setup, and was wondering if I should use either grease or
    > anti-seize compound when I reinstall them. How about the chainring bolts? Thanks.

    Grease crank bolts and spindles. See: http://draco.acs.uci.edu/rbfaq/FAQ/8f.11.html

    Chainring bolts: grease bolt threads but keep nut exteriors dry.

    Regarding the Campagnolo recommendations, it's funny how people pick and choose which ones to
    follow. Campag also state that 2001+ rear derailleurs must be used with 2001+ Ergos.

    ~PB

  7. Pete-<< Regarding the Campagnolo recommendations, it's funny how people pick and choose which ones
    to follow. Campag also state that 2001+ rear derailleurs must be used with 2001+ Ergos.

    Nothing funny about it. I have tried things that some manufacturers say and have found them to be
    not true, like rear ders and ERGO, but I have not had a square taper crank loosen or come off in 18
    years of wrenching...so I'll stick with what they say, cuz I agree with that....

    Helmet ON, flack vest ON, goggles DOWN.........

  8. Mark Hickey

    Mark Hickey Guest

    [email protected] (Qui si parla Campagnolo) wrote:

    >Pete-<< Regarding the Campagnolo recommendations, it's funny how people pick and choose which ones
    >to follow. Campag also state that 2001+ rear derailleurs must be used with 2001+ Ergos.
    >
    >Nothing funny about it. I have tried things that some manufacturers say and have found them to be
    >not true, like rear ders and ERGO, but I have not had a square taper crank loosen or come off in 18
    >years of wrenching...so I'll stick with what they say, cuz I agree with that....
    >
    >Helmet ON, flack vest ON, goggles DOWN.........

    Heh heh heh... I think the ONE thing the greasers vs. the cleaners can agree on is that if you do it
    either way, and torque the crank bolt to the proper tension, it's not likely to ever come loose.
    That makes the argument one of semantics in terms of real world effect.

    Hey Peter, can I borrow an extra flack vest?