Changing cassette body on Mavic wheels

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Ainsie, Feb 24, 2008.

1. Ainsie

Ainsie New Member

I have a set of Mavic Aksiums (08) set up for Shimano. Am considering a change to Campag and wondering if I can change the cassette body on this wheel so I can still use them on Campag, or would the whole freehub have to be changed over at a minimum?

If this can be done where can a replacement cassette body be sourced for this wheel?

Many Thanks!

Tags:

2. Peter@vecchios

[email protected] New Member

Think so. All these wheels use the same, plastic bushing type freehub(same as 'cassette body'). Take one off, put other on, pretty sure-about $60.

3. alfeng

alfeng Well-Known Member

You have many options ...

As Peter has suggested, the freehub is readily replaced (you can either keep the Shimano splined freehub OR re-sell it on eBay for close to what a new one will cost you from your LBS) ...

You can use "conversion" cassettes which allow you to use a Shimano-compatible wheel with a Campagnolo drivetrain ... WHEELS MANUFACTURING & AMERICAN CLASSIC make some ... the wheels cannot be hot-swapped with a true Campy wheel because the cogs will be offset differently from the hub's centerline -- that is, the smallest cog will be a lot closer to your rear dropout with the conversion cassette than with a Campy hub & cassette.

In the past, the American Classic cassettes started at around $80 ... however, they may cost more, now. The Wheels Manufacturing cassettes cost more.

Or, if you only need 9-speeds, you can fudge a 9-speed Shimano cassette with 10-speed Campy shifters ... initially, you can continue to use your 10-speed Shimano rear derailleur (or, a 9-speed rear derailleur with the hubbub.com rear derailleur alternate cable anchoring) which I reckon will give you close to the same indexing as a Campy rear derailleur.

You can also use either a Shimano OR Campagnolo 8-speed cassette with Campagnolo's 10-speed shifters.

Maybe I'm not thinking this out properly, but logic dictates that if you currently have a 10-speed Shimano drivetrain & only want to change the shifters, you should be able to be able to simply use the hubbub.com connection with a pair of 10-speed ERGO shifters & 10-speed Shimano rear derailleur to achieve Shimano's 10-speed indexing OR something very close to it ... maybe, not.

4. OldGoat

OldGoat New Member

Just Google "Mavic freehub".
    Here's one link, chosen at random:
    http://www.instaitems.com/products.asp?stid=7481&cat=Sports&product_id=350028979674