Changing cassette body on Mavic wheels

Ainsie

Nov 13, 2007
I have a set of Mavic Aksiums (08) set up for Shimano. Am considering a change to Campag and wondering if I can change the cassette body on this wheel so I can still use them on Campag, or would the whole freehub have to be changed over at a minimum?

If this can be done where can a replacement cassette body be sourced for this wheel?

Many Thanks!

Ainsie said:
I have a set of Mavic Aksiums (08) set up for Shimano. Am considering a change to Campag and wondering if I can change the cassette body on this wheel so I can still use them on Campag, or would the whole freehub have to be changed over at a minimum?

If this can be done where can a replacement cassette body be sourced for this wheel?

Many Thanks!

Think so. All these wheels use the same, plastic bushing type freehub(same as 'cassette body'). Take one off, put other on, pretty sure-about $60.

Ainsie said:

Many Thanks!
You have many options ...

As Peter has suggested, the freehub is readily replaced (you can either keep the Shimano splined freehub OR re-sell it on eBay for close to what a new one will cost you from your LBS) ...

You can use "conversion" cassettes which allow you to use a Shimano-compatible wheel with a Campagnolo drivetrain ... WHEELS MANUFACTURING & AMERICAN CLASSIC make some ... the wheels cannot be hot-swapped with a true Campy wheel because the cogs will be offset differently from the hub's centerline -- that is, the smallest cog will be a lot closer to your rear dropout with the conversion cassette than with a Campy hub & cassette.

In the past, the American Classic cassettes started at around $80 ... however, they may cost more, now. The Wheels Manufacturing cassettes cost more.

Or, if you only need 9-speeds, you can fudge a 9-speed Shimano cassette with 10-speed Campy shifters ... initially, you can continue to use your 10-speed Shimano rear derailleur (or, a 9-speed rear derailleur with the hubbub.com rear derailleur alternate cable anchoring) which I reckon will give you close to the same indexing as a Campy rear derailleur.

You can also use either a Shimano OR Campagnolo 8-speed cassette with Campagnolo's 10-speed shifters.

Maybe I'm not thinking this out properly, but logic dictates that if you currently have a 10-speed Shimano drivetrain & only want to change the shifters, you should be able to be able to simply use the hubbub.com connection with a pair of 10-speed ERGO shifters & 10-speed Shimano rear derailleur to achieve Shimano's 10-speed indexing OR something very close to it ... maybe, not.

Ainsie said:

Many Thanks!
Just Google "Mavic freehub".
Here's one link, chosen at random:
http://www.instaitems.com/products.asp?stid=7481&cat=Sports&product_id=350028979674