Changing chainring

The Double Zero

Apr 15, 2005
I want to put a bigger chain ring on my big ring going from a 50 to a 53, I have Ultegra 10spd, with truative crank set, will any shimano big rings be compatible with my crankset? and is it as simple as unscrewing my old ring and putting on the new one?

Existing being 50, would that be a compact setup? If so, there's additional implication for the FD.

The Double Zero said:
I want to put a bigger chain ring on my big ring going from a 50 to a 53, I have Ultegra 10spd, with truative crank set, will any shimano big rings be compatible with my crankset? and is it as simple as unscrewing my old ring and putting on the new one?
Yes you will be able to use a shimano chainring, the info you need for ordering is, PCD (pitch circle diameter) its normally written on the chain ring so look at your old one, if its not written on then measure the diameter between bolt holes on the old chain ring. The second thing to know is number of holes
(4 or 5). and thirdly the fact that its for 10 speed.

When putting the new one on you will have to move your derailleur up a little and re adjust it, a fairly simple process. Make sure the bolts holding the chainring are tight, you will need something to hold the back side of the bolt while you tighten the alen key, you can get a special tool but i just grind a piece of steel on the bench grinder, to a shape like an extra wide screwdriver
Have fun:D

Insaneclimber said:
Yes you will be able to use a shimano chainring, the info you need for ordering is, PCD (pitch circle diameter) its normally written on the chain ring so look at your old one, if its not written on then measure the diameter between bolt holes on the old chain ring. The second thing to know is number of holes
(4 or 5). and thirdly the fact that its for 10 speed.

When putting the new one on you will have to move your derailleur up a little and re adjust it, a fairly simple process. Make sure the bolts holding the chainring are tight, you will need something to hold the back side of the bolt while you tighten the alen key, you can get a special tool but i just grind a piece of steel on the bench grinder, to a shape like an extra wide screwdriver
Have fun:D
Thanks for that, I will check it out further

If it is a compact 10 speed, the PCD will be 110mm. You may be able to find some TA Chainrings with 110pcd at the Sheldon Brown/Harris Cyclery site.

you will probably NEED a compact derailleur, keeping in mind that is either a 17 or 19t drop where it would normally be 16 or 14t. Also, make sure to get stiff chainrings (like TA) which may make no difference but in my experience with singlespeeds it does. what is the other ring on the compact?

bobbyOCR said:
you will probably NEED a compact derailleur, keeping in mind that is either a 17 or 19t drop where it would normally be 16 or 14t. Also, make sure to get stiff chainrings (like TA) which may make no difference but in my experience with singlespeeds it does. what is the other ring on the compact?
I am not even sure a 17-19t drop is possible with available FDs. Aren't compact FDs spec'ed for 16t drop max? Even if it's possible with the greater step, isn't there a reliability issue with dropped chains etc?

Simple, we change both of the compact chainrings to 53 & 39.

Now where have I heard that combination before ?

The Double Zero said:
If your smallest cog isn't already an 11t, then go to your LBS and buy one ... it will be a MUCH EASIER way to adjust your gearing on the high end.

alfeng said:
If your smallest cog isn't already an 11t, then go to your LBS and buy one ... it will be a MUCH EASIER way to adjust your gearing on the high end.
Thanks for all the advice, the small ring is a 36, I have a 23 - 11 cassette, I might look at putting a 53 and 39 on.

The Double Zero said:
Thanks for all the advice, the small ring is a 36, I have a 23 - 11 cassette, I might look at putting a 53 and 39 on.
I knew there was a reason iv got a top swing deraileur. just been around too long and forgot why:(

The Double Zero said:
If its a compact chances are it has a BCD (Bolt Circle Diameter of 110mm). Look for a chainring with the same BCD and bolt pattern.

You might have issues on the FD if its a 34T (might work with a 36T).

The Double Zero said:
If its a compact it will have a BCD (Bolt Circle Diameter) of 110mm. Just go for a chainring with the same BCD and bolt pattern.

You might have issues with a 34T (a 36T or bigger might work).