Changing chains

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by Paul J, Apr 11, 2003.

  1. Paul J

    Paul J New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 10, 2003
    Is it necessary to renew cassette and chainrings when replacing an old chain.
    I've been told this by one shop guy while another guy says different.

    Tags:

  2. Paul J wrote:
    > Is it necessary to renew cassette and chainrings when replacing an old chain. I've been told this
    > by one shop guy while another guy says different.

    It depends. If your old chain is very worn (more than 1/8in elongation for 12in for chain) then it
    will almost certainly have worn the sprockets and chainrings to the point that a new chain won't
    mesh with them properly and will slip.

    However, if the chain wear is less than this, 1/16in or so, then you may get away with just
    replacing the chain.

    --
    John Stevenson Cyclingnews.com

  3. Jeff Jones

    Jeff Jones Guest

    "Paul J" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Is it necessary to renew cassette and chainrings when replacing an old chain. I've been told this
    > by one shop guy while another guy says different.

    For most normal people yes it's necessary to change both. Change just the chain and you'll quickly
    realise why. I've come to the conclusion that unless you've got a really expensive and hard wearing
    cluster, you may as well change them both at the same time and thus get more wear out of the chain.

    e.g. my chain cost 28 euros and my cluster cost 51 for a grand total of 79 euros. I got around
    15,000 km out of them. Had I changed the chain every 5,000 km, maybe I could have
    optimistically gotten 30,000 km out of the cluster.

    6 x 28 + 51 = 218 euros = more expensive.

    or even every 10,000 km - doubtful whether I'd get 30,000 km out of the cluster though.

    3 x 28 + 51 = 135 euros = cheaper.

    or the lazy way:

    2 x 79 = 158 euros. Less resource intensive.

    To save even more euros, I could clean the chain a bit more. Don't like to do that unless I can
    avoid it i.e. it rains/hails/snows.

    cheers, Jeff

  4. Paul J

    Paul J New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 10, 2003
    Thanks guys.
    I'm wondering whether I really need to change the chain at all. Got a new chain at about 2000km with a major service. Done another 4000km since then and recently had another major service but the chain just seemed to be slipping a bit this morning each time I changed down.

  5. Blind Freddy

    Blind Freddy Guest

    "Jeff Jones" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    | "Paul J" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    | news:[email protected]...
    | > Is it necessary to renew cassette and chainrings when replacing an old chain. I've been told
    | > this by one shop guy while another guy says different.
    |
    | For most normal people yes it's necessary to change both. Change just the chain and you'll quickly
    | realise why. I've come to the conclusion that unless you've got a really expensive and hard
    | wearing cluster, you may as well change them both at the same time and thus get more wear out of
    | the chain.
    |
    | e.g. my chain cost 28 euros and my cluster cost 51 for a grand total of 79 euros. I got around
    | 15,000 km out of them. Had I changed the chain every 5,000 km, maybe I could have
    | optimistically gotten 30,000 km out of the cluster.
    |
    | 6 x 28 + 51 = 218 euros = more expensive.
    |
    | or even every 10,000 km - doubtful whether I'd get 30,000 km out of the cluster though.
    |
    | 3 x 28 + 51 = 135 euros = cheaper.
    |
    | or the lazy way:
    |
    | 2 x 79 = 158 euros. Less resource intensive.
    |
    | To save even more euros, I could clean the chain a bit more. Don't like to do that unless I can
    | avoid it i.e. it rains/hails/snows.
    |
    | cheers, Jeff

    Isn't a Euro a small kangaroo? That's a lot of kangaroos for a chain.

    Marty

  6. Hugh Fenton

    Hugh Fenton Guest

    My theory is that the chain wears a bit faster than the cluster/rings. So I run 2 chains, swapping
    every 2000k or so. When both chains are dead, replace the whole shebang Hugh

    "Paul J" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Is it necessary to renew cassette and chainrings when replacing an old chain. I've been told this
    > by one shop guy while another guy says different.

  7. Jeff Jones

    Jeff Jones Guest

    "Blind Freddy" <[email protected](spam)> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > Isn't a Euro a small kangaroo? That's a lot of kangaroos for a chain.

    I know. That's the bloody EC for you. In the good old days it was only 1120 Belgian francs, and you
    could carry them around in your wallet without it jumping around.

    Jeff (a long way from the rabbit-proof fence at the momentje)

  8. Stu

    Stu Guest

    http://www.sheldonbrown.com/chains.html have a read of this if it is only slipping when you are
    changing gears l am not sure that a new chain will fix it what sort of riding do you do? 4000kms
    doesn't sound like allot if it has been looked after

  9. Richard

    Richard Guest

    I've been using a Rohloff-Caliber gauge (made in Germany) for nearly 10 years to gauge the chain
    wear and replace it on the basis of measurable wear. My chain rings and sprocketts now last years
    with no skipping or disfunction occuring, but change out chains much more frequently than I used to
    (2-3 months sometimes). I've learnt the chain life is more affected by enviroment than actual miles
    with dust, grit and water the killers. It takes 5 sec's to test the chain.

    I bought the gauge in UK. I don't know who sells it in Australia.