Changing components from shimano 105/tiagra to Ultegra

mantlecobb

Jul 26, 2004
I own a Trek 2000 that is comprised of shimano 105 and tiagra components. I would like to upgrade to Ultegra components but am unsure if I should change all the components or just a few (crankset, shifters,etc.). Can someone give me some advice and maybe a basic price that I would have to pay a bike shop to do the changes.

mantlecobb said:
I own a Trek 2000 that is comprised of shimano 105 and tiagra components. I would like to upgrade to Ultegra components but am unsure if I should change all the components or just a few (crankset, shifters,etc.). Can someone give me some advice and maybe a basic price that I would have to pay a bike shop to do the changes.
Why if they aren't broke or wore out??

mantlecobb said:
believe me, my motor is fine! How is yours. Oh, thanks for the help and advice to someone who is new in cycling.
I see this question at least once a week.Answer is always the same.You can spend alot of money,save a few ounces."performance": well, that is often a function of how well tuned and maintained stuff is rather the level of a few parts. Your question has no answer unless you can identify a specific problem with what you have.You would probably get more out of an upscale set of wheels.

As far as upgrading components goes, it is very expensive to upgrade the gruppo. When buying a new bike, you're basically buying the components and getting the frame for free. Therefore, it is usually a better option in the long run to purchase a new bike then significantly alter yours.

If you are not willing to spend that much, however, a new set of wheels will really liven up your bike and give you the actual performance boost you are looking for. Replacing wheels, for several reasons, is the most cost-effective way to upgrade your bike.

Look at one of the top-end wheel manufacturer's entry-level wheelsets. Everybody has their own preference when it comes to wheels, but to give you an idea of what level to look at, I would suggest something like the Mavic Cosmics, Velomax Circuits, or Cane Creek aeroheads. This will be a $400 upgrade that will do wonders to your ride and speed.

descends411 said:
Look at one of the top-end wheel manufacturer's entry-level wheelsets. Everybody has their own preference when it comes to wheels, but to give you an idea of what level to look at, I would suggest something like the Mavic Cosmics, Velomax Circuits, or Cane Creek aeroheads. This will be a $400 upgrade that will do wonders to your ride and speed.
Excel sports Cirrus at $349 is one of the bet bang for buck wheelsets around.