Changing fork - slight problem

ouam

Mar 19, 2004
Hello !!

After reading the post saying that changing a fork is pretty easy, I decided to do it myself rather than going to the shop. And it actually is very easy. Only I'm stuck on one part: there is a sort of ring that seemed to be screwed at the bottom of the steerer, and that I need to move over to the new fork, but I haven't managed to unscrew it. I have no idea what that piece is called, and no idea where to find it if I need to buy a new one, or how to remove it if that's possible.

Thanks for any help,
Franck.

Originally posted by ouam
Hello !!

After reading the post saying that changing a fork is pretty easy, I decided to do it myself rather than going to the shop. And it actually is very easy. Only I'm stuck on one part: there is a sort of ring that seemed to be screwed at the bottom of the steerer, and that I need to move over to the new fork, but I haven't managed to unscrew it. I have no idea what that piece is called, and no idea where to find it if I need to buy a new one, or how to remove it if that's possible.

Thanks for any help,
Franck.
It's a crown race. It is not screwed on .It's a press fit.There are special pullers or you can use a makeshift tool and risk buggering it.

Ok, thanks !!

Then if it's press fit, can I put a new one on myself or do I need some special tool?

Same as before. There is a

tools for this job that make it quick & easy. You can do it yourself but pulling the race is quite dificult. Putting a new one on isn't that hard but it is sometimes hard to get it seated in the right alignment.

You might try going to your LBS and asking them to just do the pulling and re-seating rather than doing the whole job and see what they will charge for that.

Luck in any case.

Sea

Ok, thanks for your replies. I think I'll just take my bike and the fork to the shop, I don't want to damage anything...