changing frame / upgrade

ebola

Jul 22, 2003
I've a 2003 Giant FCR1 T (105 drive/gears + tiagra bits), large frame, was flat bars

I converted to drops, shortenned the stem to make it fit better
i've subsequently discovered a medium frame bike (hired on holiday) actually fits better.

so...

I could presumably buy a new frame. LBS says it's £35ish to move components across.

Option 1 is buying a new frame and throwing the components across. LBS says 35 quid to do this.
what frames would be compatable with the bits I've got. (ocr's.. tcr's.. which year models.. ). what frame would be an overkill / underkill compared to the components.
something like this
http://www.bonthronebikes.com/product_details.asp?ID=2507
?

are they just all pretty much the same & designed to accept the standard shimano components. I note for a start some frames are double only.
( of course i need the correct stem too ).

Is it frame+forks i'm after.. where does the steerer tube come in..

Another thing I could do is to use this as an excuse to upgrade - bad / good weather bikes set up differently, one can get hammered on an indoor trainer etc ... but there IS no 'good weather' at the moment and it's a nice enough bike as it is.

The OCR frame in your link is a good frame, but have you found out how much you'd get for your current bike if you sold it?
There mightn't be much difference between the price of the new frame and the price of a fully kitted out OCR minus the cash for your old bike. If so, I'd sell the old one and buy a new OCR.

Tonto said:
The OCR frame in your link is a good frame, but have you found out how much you'd get for your current bike if you sold it?
There mightn't be much difference between the price of the new frame and the price of a fully kitted out OCR minus the cash for your old bike. If so, I'd sell the old one and buy a new OCR.

makes sense. I'll look into this too.

I completely concur: sell your old bike and buy the new. If you don't you will have a frame hanging around which would not be worth building up, and you would have a nice new frame with used components. You should be able to easily sell your old bike as it is complete, and use the $ to offset the cost of the new. Good luck.