changing from a single to a triple crankset

ironcobraptw

Aug 17, 2006
im looking at a new bike and everything is good about it except the crankset. its more of a downhill bike so it only has one chainring in the front. what would i need to make this change and how would i do it?

the bike currently has a Truvativ Ruktion crankset

http://www.ironhorsebikes.com/bikes/index.asp?ID=17

^^thats a link to a picture of the bike where you can zoom to see the crankset.

any advice would be very appreciated

ironcobraptw said:
im looking at a new bike and everything is good about it except the crankset. its more of a downhill bike so it only has one chainring in the front. what would i need to make this change and how would i do it?

the bike currently has a Truvativ Ruktion crankset

http://www.ironhorsebikes.com/bikes/index.asp?ID=17

^^thats a link to a picture of the bike where you can zoom to see the crankset.

any advice would be very appreciated

Getting a triple with the proper BB on the bike would be no problem, but
I think the real question is where would you mount a front derailleur on that frame. I can't see it close up enough to know if there is an FD mount under where that chainguard is. If you are buying a new bike and want a triple, you should probably just get a bike designed around a triple.

John M said:
Getting a triple with the proper BB on the bike would be no problem, but
I think the real question is where would you mount a front derailleur on that frame. I can't see it close up enough to know if there is an FD mount under where that chainguard is. If you are buying a new bike and want a triple, you should probably just get a bike designed around a triple.
http://www.bikeparts.com/search_results.asp?ID=BPC108932

how about something like that? i dont know much about bike components and stuff like that i just ride but that looks like it could be mounted at the same place the crankset gets mounted

ironcobraptw said:
http://www.bikeparts.com/search_results.asp?ID=BPC108932

how about something like that? i dont know much about bike components and stuff like that i just ride but that looks like it could be mounted at the same place the crankset gets mounted

Yes, an E-type FD might work as it does mount at the bottom bracket, but there might still be issues of FD cable routing. You would also have to be able to remove the mounts for the chain tensioner and that chain guard such that they don't interfere with the FD. Best to check with the shop selling the bike. That picture doesn't give me a clear enough look.

John M said:
Yes, an E-type FD might work as it does mount at the bottom bracket, but there might still be issues of FD cable routing. You would also have to be able to remove the mounts for the chain tensioner and that chain guard such that they don't interfere with the FD. Best to check with the shop selling the bike. That picture doesn't give me a clear enough look.
the chain tensioner and chain guard are connected and are mounted on the bottom bracket so i would only have to deal with one mount if any because i think it just screws in.What kind of issues would there be for FD cable routing? yea im going to the shop today and im going to ask them about changing the crankset, and possibly ask them to do it for me depending on the cost.

p.s sorry if im getting annoying i dont know as much about bike parts as i would like to.

ironcobraptw said:
the chain tensioner and chain guard are connected and are mounted on the bottom bracket so i would only have to deal with one mount if any because i think it just screws in.What kind of issues would there be for FD cable routing? yea im going to the shop today and im going to ask them about changing the crankset, and possibly ask them to do it for me depending on the cost.

p.s sorry if im getting annoying i dont know as much about bike parts as i would like to.

The cable routing issue is whether you can bolt a FD cable guide somewhere around the BB to guide the cable under/around the BB to the FD. That bracket that holds the chain guard is probably very similar to what holds the FD in the picture that you posted.

If the shop can work out the FD cable issue, then you need one of those E-type FDs, and the triple crankset, maybe a new BB-I don't know if the BB that works with Ruktion crank will accomodate a triple or not. You may need to lengthen the chain, depending on how many teeth are on the large chainring as compared to what is on the single chainring now.

John M said:
The cable routing issue is whether you can bolt a FD cable guide somewhere around the BB to guide the cable under/around the BB to the FD. That bracket that holds the chain guard is probably very similar to what holds the FD in the picture that you posted.

If the shop can work out the FD cable issue, then you need one of those E-type FDs, and the triple crankset, maybe a new BB-I don't know if the BB that works with Ruktion crank will accomodate a triple or not. You may need to lengthen the chain, depending on how many teeth are on the large chainring as compared to what is on the single chainring now.
i think that it is possible to bolt a cable guide by the BB because there are already cables running by there for the back brakes and rear derailluer if you look close