Changing from downtube shifters to brifters

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Jon Bond, May 15, 2003.

  1. Jon Bond

    Jon Bond Guest

    Only problem I have is the lack of cable stops on the down tube. I have the mounting pegs for the DT
    shifters brazed on the bike, so I figure there's probably an adapter - I *THINK* this is it, but I'm
    not sure. I really don't care if it's pretty or not, I just want it to work.

    http://www.lickbike.com/i0588200.htm

    If that's not it, what will do it? I'd run full housing, but it goes under the BB, and I don't have
    a stop to go to for the front derailleur at all, so it would be kind of difficult.

    Thanks!

    Jon Bond

    Tags:

  2. Jeff

    Jeff Guest

    Yep, that's it

    "Jon Bond" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > Only problem I have is the lack of cable stops on the down tube. I have
    the
    > mounting pegs for the DT shifters brazed on the bike, so I figure there's probably an adapter - I
    > *THINK* this is it, but I'm not sure. I really don't care if it's pretty or not, I just want it
    > to work.
    >
    > http://www.lickbike.com/i0588200.htm

  3. J. Price

    J. Price Guest

    "Jon Bond" <[email protected].edu> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Only problem I have is the lack of cable stops on the down tube. I have the mounting pegs for the
    > DT shifters brazed on the bike, so I figure there's probably an adapter - I *THINK* this is it,
    > but I'm not sure. I really don't care if it's pretty or not, I just want it to work.
    >
    > http://www.lickbike.com/i0588200.htm
    >
    > If that's not it, what will do it? I'd run full housing, but it goes under the BB, and I don't
    > have a stop to go to for the front derailleur at all, so it would be kind of difficult.
    >
    > Thanks!
    >
    > Jon Bond

    ..........................That's what works.They are called cable stops,and replace the
    downtube shiters.

  4. Mark Wolfe

    Mark Wolfe Guest

    Make sure you get the right ones, they've got curved and flat ones.

    --
    Mark Wolfe http://www.wolfenet.org gpg fingerprint = 42B6 EFEB 5414 AA18 01B7 64AC EF46 F7E6 82F6
    8C71 I washed a sock. Then I put it in the dryer. When I took it out, it was gone. -- Steven Wright

  5. Jeff Wills

    Jeff Wills Guest

    "Jon Bond" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Only problem I have is the lack of cable stops on the down tube. I have the mounting pegs for the
    > DT shifters brazed on the bike, so I figure there's probably an adapter - I *THINK* this is it,
    > but I'm not sure. I really don't care if it's pretty or not, I just want it to work.
    >
    > http://www.lickbike.com/i0588200.htm

    That's what you need. Many times they're packaged with the brifters. They're available almost
    anywhere, in several varieties: http://harriscyclery.net/site/page.cfm?PageID=49&Category=1498

    Jeff

  6. Garyg

    Garyg Guest

    "J. Price" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "Jon Bond" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > > Only problem I have is the lack of cable stops on the down tube. I have
    the
    > > mounting pegs for the DT shifters brazed on the bike, so I figure
    there's
    > > probably an adapter - I *THINK* this is it, but I'm not sure. I really don't care if it's pretty
    > > or not, I just want it to work.
    > >
    > > http://www.lickbike.com/i0588200.htm
    > >
    > > If that's not it, what will do it? I'd run full housing, but it goes
    under
    > > the BB, and I don't have a stop to go to for the front derailleur at
    all, so
    > > it would be kind of difficult.
    > >
    > > Thanks!
    > >
    > > Jon Bond
    >
    > ..........................That's what works.They are called cable stops,and replace the downtube
    > shiters.

    "downtube shiters"?? I had that once...but, a treatment with antibiotics cleared it up after
    a few days.

    GG

  7. Ajames54

    Ajames54 Guest

    On Fri, 16 May 2003 02:40:26 GMT, "Jon Bond" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Only problem I have is the lack of cable stops on the down tube. I have the mounting pegs for the
    >DT shifters brazed on the bike, so I figure there's probably an adapter - I *THINK* this is it, but
    >I'm not sure. I really don't care if it's pretty or not, I just want it to work.
    >
    >http://www.lickbike.com/i0588200.htm
    >
    >If that's not it, what will do it? I'd run full housing, but it goes under the BB, and I don't have
    >a stop to go to for the front derailleur at all, so it would be kind of difficult.
    >
    >Thanks!
    >
    >Jon Bond

    If you bought the brifters new from Shimano there were (AFAIK) supposed to come in the box ... along
    with the cables.

    Those are the things you need though.

  8. jonathon-<< Only problem I have is the lack of cable stops on the down tube. I have the mounting
    pegs for the DT shifters brazed on the bike, so I figure there's probably an adapter - I *THINK*
    this is it, but I'm not sure.

    Lever mounted shifters come with bolt on cable stops that live on your downtube braze-ons, which you
    will see when you taked your DT shitfters off...