Changing from Ultegra road -) ATB crankset?

Emily

Guest
I'm interested in changing out my Ultegra road crankset (52-42-30) for a lower-range ATB crankset
for touring in the mountains. Which crankset could I use that would be compatible with the Ultegra
front derailleur and bottom bracket? Is this even possible?

Thanks in advance for your advice and expertise! Emily

"Emily" <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:
> I'm interested in changing out my Ultegra road crankset (52-42-30) for a lower-range ATB crankset
> for touring in the mountains. Which crankset could I use that would be compatible with the Ultegra
> front derailleur and bottom bracket? Is this even possible?

How low gearing do you need? You could just change the chainrings on your Ultegra crankset.
Something like 48-38-26 would probably still work with your Ultegra derailleurs and shifters.

On Sun, 11 Jan 2004 21:19:51 GMT, "Emily" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>I'm interested in changing out my Ultegra road crankset (52-42-30) for a lower-range ATB crankset
>for touring in the mountains. Which crankset could I use that would be compatible with the Ultegra
>front derailleur and bottom bracket? Is this even possible?

Assuming you are using STI, any 110 bolt pattern triple, i.e. Sugino
XD., 48,36,24. A $15 UN53 bottom bracket, either 115 or 118 mm. A DuraAce Triple front derailleur.

If you are not using STI, you can use a MTB front derailleur and a MTB crankset with a
compatible bb.

Emily wrote:

> I'm interested in changing out my Ultegra road crankset (52-42-30) for a lower-range ATB crankset
> for touring in the mountains. Which crankset could I use that would be compatible with the Ultegra
> front derailleur and bottom bracket? Is this even possible?

Possible, but liable to lead to shifting issues assuming you've got STI (combined
brake/shift levers.)

You might want to consider leaving the crankset alone except replacing the silly 30 tooth ring with
something more useful, say a 26 or 24. That's a LOT cheaper and won't create much shifting
difficulty.

You might need to add a $12 chain deflector, especially if you go for a 24.

If you go to, say, a 30 tooth rear sprocket in back, you should be able to get by with the existing
derailers, shifters and crankset, while still having a plenty low gear.

See: http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/chainrings.html#74

and: http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/chains.html#deflectors

and: http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/k7.html#9

Sheldon "Save Your Money" Brown Newtonville, Massachusetts +-------------------------------------------------------------
+
| Just remember that given the range in ages, geographies, | abilities, and needs, the "average" in
| "average | recreational rider" is going to span quite a distance. | What works for a 20 year old
| male in Florida is not going | to do much for a first-time female rider in Colorado. | --Kirby
| Krieger |
+-------------------------------------------------------------+ Harris Cyclery, West Newton,

Emily wrote:

> I'm interested in changing out my Ultegra road crankset (52-42-30) for a lower-range ATB crankset
> for touring in the mountains. Which crankset could I use that would be compatible with the Ultegra
> front derailleur and bottom bracket? Is this even possible?

If you want ideal front changer compatibility leave the 52t!

But you need lower gears so I'd suggest a Sugino XD 110/74 with a Tange sealed cartridge crank
bearing. Total $95.

If the front changer presents difficulty just get one of those. They are $15 to $45

Another approach would be to just get a 26t or even a 24t for your existing crank. You may not have
ideal shift response but for one trip it would drop your gearing 20% with the least expense.

Thanks for all the responses. I think I'll probably just replace my 30-tooth granny ring with a
lower one, as suggested below. That sounds like the least costly and simplest way to go. This will
be my touring bike and not my go-fast bike, so I don't want to put a lot of $ into it if it's not
necessary. And the 52 ring will probably be nice for those mountain descents!

Thanks much, Emily