Changing gears on an e-bike

Discussion in 'The Bike Cafe' started by Troy S., Oct 6, 2019.

1. Troy S.

Troy S. New Member

I'm asking this question I got from a friend. I have very little experience with e-bikes and electric HUBs. Can someone answer this please so I can share it with him?:

"Any advice on how to cycle with HUB gears? i.e, can you still pedal when changing gear, etc. Quite a few commuter bikes have them, but any info on how to use them seems incredibly rare. Every website seems only geared (excuse pun) to using derailleurs."

TIA

2. dabac

dabac Well-Known Member

Not quite clear on what you mean by the capital letters.
    The common (internal) gear hubs like Shimano Nexus and Alfine etc, you have to stop pedaling - very briefly - to change gear. Doesn’t matter it’s on an ebike or not.
    Strictly speaking, it’s possible to operate the shifter while pedalling, but don’t expect the hub to do anything until you’ve eased up on pressure.
    If you’re the kind of person who can pay attention to mechanical feedback, it’s often possible to pedal LIGHTLY while shifting gears.
    But the safe option is to coast a fraction of a second while shifting.
    In that line, make it a habit into pedalling smoothly a few turns after a shift and before standing on the pedals. Pushing hard before the new gear has engaged properly is a good way of chipping or bending hub internals.

Troy S. likes this.
  3. Troy S.

Troy S. New Member

Thank you