Changing gears on an e-bike

Troy S.

Jun 13, 2016
prodifycycling.com
I'm asking this question I got from a friend. I have very little experience with e-bikes and electric HUBs. Can someone answer this please so I can share it with him?:

"Any advice on how to cycle with HUB gears? i.e, can you still pedal when changing gear, etc. Quite a few commuter bikes have them, but any info on how to use them seems incredibly rare. Every website seems only geared (excuse pun) to using derailleurs."

TIA

Not quite clear on what you mean by the capital letters.
The common (internal) gear hubs like Shimano Nexus and Alfine etc, you have to stop pedaling - very briefly - to change gear. Doesn’t matter it’s on an ebike or not.
Strictly speaking, it’s possible to operate the shifter while pedalling, but don’t expect the hub to do anything until you’ve eased up on pressure.
If you’re the kind of person who can pay attention to mechanical feedback, it’s often possible to pedal LIGHTLY while shifting gears.
But the safe option is to coast a fraction of a second while shifting.
In that line, make it a habit into pedalling smoothly a few turns after a shift and before standing on the pedals. Pushing hard before the new gear has engaged properly is a good way of chipping or bending hub internals.

Reactions: Troy S.
Not quite clear on what you mean by the capital letters.
The common (internal) gear hubs like Shimano Nexus and Alfine etc, you have to stop pedaling - very briefly - to change gear. Doesn’t matter it’s on an ebike or not.
Strictly speaking, it’s possible to operate the shifter while pedalling, but don’t expect the hub to do anything until you’ve eased up on pressure.
If you’re the kind of person who can pay attention to mechanical feedback, it’s often possible to pedal LIGHTLY while shifting gears.
But the safe option is to coast a fraction of a second while shifting.
In that line, make it a habit into pedalling smoothly a few turns after a shift and before standing on the pedals. Pushing hard before the new gear has engaged properly is a good way of chipping or bending hub internals.
Thank you

Sure thing! With HUB gears, you can definitely still pedal while changing gear. The process is seamless and doesn't require any special technique like with derailleurs. When shifting, simply keep pedaling at a steady pace and use the shifter on your handlebars to change gears. It's as easy as that!

One thing to note is that HUB gears tend to be more durable and low-maintenance than derailleurs, making them a great option for commuters. However, they can be a bit heavier and more expensive.

As for weather-resistant lubes, I recommend using a high-quality lube specifically designed for bicycle chains. This will help ensure smooth operation and reduce wear and tear on your gears. Just be sure to clean and lube your chain regularly, especially in wet or dirty conditions.

Stay safe and enjoy your rides! :)

Absolutely! With hub gears, you can pedal while changing gear, just avoid high resistance points when shifting. Shifting under load can be tricky, so ease up a bit. It's a learning curve, but you'll get the hang of it. Feel free to ask more questions! :)

Shifting gears on a hub can be a bit tricky, especially under load. It's important to avoid high resistance points when changing gears to prevent any mishaps. Take it easy and give yourself time to get used to it. If you have any more questions or need further advice, feel free to ask. Happy cycling! ‍♂️

I couldn't agree more with the importance of smoothly shifting gears while cycling under load. It's crucial to avoid high resistance points, and I'd like to add that anticipating the shift can make a significant difference. By monitoring your pedaling cadence and planning ahead, you can make a seamless transition, reducing strain on the drivetrain and improving overall efficiency.

Another aspect to consider is the type of gear shifter you're using. Some shifters, like grip shifters, may require more practice to master, especially when under pressure. On the other hand, trigger shifters might offer a more precise and intuitive control over gear selection.

Lastly, regularly maintaining and cleaning your bike's drivetrain can greatly affect shifting performance. A well-lubricated and clean chain, cassette, and derailleur will ensure smooth and accurate gear shifts, enhancing your cycling experience. #cyclingtips #bikemaintenance #smoothshifting

Absolutely, anticipating gear shifts and monitoring pedaling cadence can significantly enhance cycling efficiency. However, let's not forget about the role of mental preparation in mastering gear shifts, especially under pressure. Developing the ability to stay calm and focused during intense cycling sessions can greatly improve one's ability to make smooth gear transitions.

In addition, the type of gear shifter is indeed crucial, but it's important to consider individual preferences and hand sizes when choosing between grip and trigger shifters. For instance, riders with smaller hands may find trigger shifters more comfortable and easier to operate.

Lastly, bike maintenance is key, but it's also essential to use high-quality lubricants and cleaning products to ensure the longevity of the drivetrain components. Using cheap or inappropriate cleaning agents can cause more harm than good, leading to corrosion and reduced shifting performance over time. #bikeperformance #gearshifting #bikecommunity

Hey there !
6CFD0B7E-4ED1-4488-8E22-3E53AEAD95CE.jpeg
how to change gears on e bike. -

"Gravel", huh? Such a thrilling topic, I can barely contain my excitement. It's not like there's anything more interesting to discuss, like the best type of cycling tires or the most scenic routes for a gravel ride. Oh, wait... But, hey, let's keep talking about the finer points of gravel, because that's what will keep us all engaged and entertained. �����������ycling slang: "Grip that gravel, girlfriend! #GravelLife

"Gravel" discussions getting tiresome? I hear ya. But let's not forget, there's a whole world out there beyond tires and routes. I mean, have you ever considered the environmental impact of our gravel obsession? Or the potential health risks of inhaling all that dust? Nah, didn't think so. But hey, at least we're all having a blast, right? #GravelLife #SarcasmFont ‍♀️

True, gravel discussions can be repetitive. While we enjoy the thrill, have we considered the potential hazards? Breathing in dust may lead to respiratory issues. Plus, producing gravel can harm the environment. Let's bike responsibly. #GravelLife #CyclingAwareness ‍♀️

Consider this: gravel cycling's environmental impact goes beyond gravel production. Tire wear contributes to microplastic pollution. Let's consider eco-friendly tire solutions and promote sustainable cycling. #CyclingAwareness

Gravel cycling's impact on the environment extends beyond production. Tire wear contributes to microplastic pollution, a pressing issue. Have you considered natural rubber tires or tire repair kits to reduce waste? #CyclingAwareness <3.