Changing gears

Status
Not open for further replies.
In article <[email protected]>,
Van Bagnol <[email protected]> writes:

> Above all, and especially on climbs, let her ride at her own pace, however slow you may think it.
> If you go macho and drop her, she won't enjoy the ride, the gearing won't matter, and you won't
> have a riding partner for long. If you keep her pace, she'll appreciate your company, you two will
> ride more, and you'll be luckier in the long run.

I think that might be the best advice of all. As the old chestnut goes: "Do it for me, and I'll
forget. Describe it to me, and I might remember. Show me, and I'll understand."

Well, I guess it goes /something/ like that, anyways.

But *being there* to demonstrate & explain things in a supportive, hands-on, immersion-learning
way ... can't be beat. She'll catch-on in no time, like a burr on a wool sock, since shifting
ain't exactly brain surgery, or virtuoso violin-playing. In fact, I think accurately, verbally
describing shifting is probably more difficult than just plain learning-by-doing, since it's such
a "feel" thing.

cheers, Tom

--
-- Powered by FreeBSD Above address is just a spam midden. I'm really at: tkeats [curlicue] vcn
[point] bc [point] ca

Ron Hardin wrote:

> Claire Petersky wrote:
> > > > > How can I best explain to her how to change up and down through the gears when she has two
> > > > > cogs to contend with,
> > > >
> > > > Think of the chainrings as broad ranges, and the rear cogs as fine-tuning. This makes the
> > > > most sense with a triple front. Big ring for downhills and very fast riding, middle for most
> > > > flat situations, and little ring for hills.
> > >
> > > Being a girl, she can't figure this out.
> >
> > Dang, I wish there was a way to killfile people using Google...
> >
> > Warm Regards,
> >
> > Claire Petersky Books just wanna be FREE! See what I mean at:
> > http://bookcrossing.com/friend/Cpetersky
>
> Ah, a knee-jerk feminist. Inability to read is the hallmark.
>
> The effect discussed is the male hope that the female will be interested in his hobby, bicycling.
> Visions of cycling together - you see it out in the wild, a male poking along next to his female
> at riding at walking speed on a new bicycle - but in fact the female is not interested and won't
> be at all once she gets to get her way. This is why she cannot learn the gears. They're proof for
> her that she isn't interested.
>
> Still the male is hopeful. Getting laid is the the incentive, behind displacements and veils that
> he doesn't understand.
>
> The girl is following her own interests. Bicycling, she can see, is an escape

>
> Similarly mathematics and physics. Count the postings from women in the last thousand in sci.math
> and sci.physics. It's probably zero. Nothing keeps women from posting. There are heated
> discussions there by complete morons, of things they're intensely interested in. That interest is
> what's missing in women, not ability to do technical stuff.
>
> Similarly in the case of bicycle gears. The woman doesn't care.
> --
> Ron Hardin [email protected]
>
> On the internet, nobody knows you're a jerk.

It somehow relates to how women remember what colours you both wore on a special night, while he
remembers what you ate, or more likely, what an idiot the waiter was - or even more likely, he's
still thinking it was not at the restaurant you are talking about. It's a guy thing. Bernie

Tom Keats wrote:

> In article <[email protected]>,
> Van Bagnol <[email protected]> writes:
>
> > Above all, and especially on climbs, let her ride at her own pace, however slow you may think
> > it. If you go macho and drop her, she won't enjoy the ride, the gearing won't matter, and you
> > won't have a riding partner for long. If you keep her pace, she'll appreciate your company, you
> > two will ride more, and you'll be luckier in the long run.
>
> I think that might be the best advice of all. As the old chestnut goes: "Do it for me, and I'll
> forget. Describe it to me, and I might remember. Show me, and I'll understand."
>
> Well, I guess it goes /something/ like that, anyways.
>
> But *being there* to demonstrate & explain things in a supportive, hands-on, immersion-learning
> way ... can't be beat. She'll catch-on in no time, like a burr on a wool sock, since shifting
> ain't exactly brain surgery, or virtuoso violin-playing. In fact, I think accurately, verbally
> describing shifting is probably more difficult than just plain learning-by-doing, since it's such
> a "feel" thing.
>
> cheers, Tom
>
> --
> -- Powered by FreeBSD Above address is just a spam midden. I'm really at: tkeats [curlicue] vcn
> [point] bc [point] ca

My Sweety and I ride together sometimes. She is not a daily rider. I've learned to just let her do
her thing. She has owned a bike her whole life, and done more than a ride or two. Currently she is
not in biking condition, and is happiest if I just ride with her. She does the pace that she can do,
and we spend time together. It is slower (and flatter) than I would do on my own, but we literally
stop and smell the flowers together. Oh yes! (do I digress?) I don't tell her when to shift. She can
do whatever she likes. I just try to enjoy the ride. Life is good. Best regards, Bernie

On Thu, 08 May 2003 08:28:45 GMT, Van Bagnol <[email protected]> wrote:

>They act, well, kinda Jobstinate

LOL I know *exactly* what you mean. One for the faq, I hope

Guy
===
** WARNING ** This posting may contain traces of irony. http://www.chapmancentral.com (BT ADSL and
dynamic DNS permitting)
NOTE: BT Openworld have now blocked port 25 (without notice), so old mail addresses may no longer
work. Apologies.

Status
Not open for further replies.