Changing handle bars???

Mark

Guest
I recently got a Schwinn Rocket mountain bike. I am having more fun
riding than I have had for a long time, reminding me of the days when
I rode all over town for transportation.

The Rocket is a full suspension bike, which means leaning forward.
For many rides that would be just the thing in the back woods and
trails. Yet a more upright position would be much more comfortable
for just putzing around the neighborhood.

It looks like different handlebars would do just that and moving the
shift and brake levers shouldn't be that hard. I am wondering if
anyone knows anywhere that sells handle bars that would turn a
mountain bike effectively into a full suspension hybrid. If not
anyone ever make their own handlebars for that purpose?? Ideally it
would be a system where if I was really heading into tough terrain,
switching back to the straight bars wouldn't be a big deal but still
have more comfort on the streets.

On Sat, 10 Nov 2007 20:34:24 -0800, Mark <[email protected]>
wrote:

>I recently got a Schwinn Rocket mountain bike. I am having more fun
>riding than I have had for a long time, reminding me of the days when
>I rode all over town for transportation.
>
>The Rocket is a full suspension bike, which means leaning forward.
>For many rides that would be just the thing in the back woods and
>trails. Yet a more upright position would be much more comfortable
>for just putzing around the neighborhood.
>
>It looks like different handlebars would do just that and moving the
>shift and brake levers shouldn't be that hard. I am wondering if
>anyone knows anywhere that sells handle bars that would turn a
>mountain bike effectively into a full suspension hybrid. If not
>anyone ever make their own handlebars for that purpose?? Ideally it
>would be a system where if I was really heading into tough terrain,
>switching back to the straight bars wouldn't be a big deal but still
>have more comfort on the streets.

http://www.bikemannetwork.com/biking/c/COMPSTADJ

If you think that you are leaning over too much and you consider that
position to be too uncomfortable there may be two issues. One is that
your body is way too tight. My mountain bike position is pretty
upright. But I compare that to my position on my road bike or
cyclocross bike which is indeed fairly stretched out. Second is that
the bike may have the wrong size stem. They make them in different
lengths and rises. http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/fitting.htm

On Nov 10, 10:34 pm, Mark <[email protected]> wrote:
> I recently got a Schwinn Rocket mountain bike. I am having more fun
> riding than I have had for a long time, reminding me of the days when
> I rode all over town for transportation.
>
> The Rocket is a full suspension bike, which means leaning forward.
> For many rides that would be just the thing in the back woods and
> trails. Yet a more upright position would be much more comfortable
> for just putzing around the neighborhood.
>
> It looks like different handlebars would do just that and moving the
> shift and brake levers shouldn't be that hard. I am wondering if
> anyone knows anywhere that sells handle bars that would turn a
> mountain bike effectively into a full suspension hybrid. If not
> anyone ever make their own handlebars for that purpose?? Ideally it
> would be a system where if I was really heading into tough terrain,
> switching back to the straight bars wouldn't be a big deal but still
> have more comfort on the streets.

http://tinyurl.com/2jxj98
+
http://www.amdish.com/ItemId/B000C12ALY

On Nov 11, 6:30 am, Jim Behning
<[email protected]> wrote:
> On Sat, 10 Nov 2007 20:34:24 -0800, Mark <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>

> >I recently got a Schwinn Rocket mountain bike. I am having more fun
> >riding than I have had for a long time, reminding me of the days when
> >I rode all over town for transportation.

> >The Rocket is a full suspension bike, which means leaning forward.
> >For many rides that would be just the thing in the back woods and
> >trails. Yet a more upright position would be much more comfortable
> >for just putzing around the neighborhood.

> >It looks like different handlebars would do just that and moving the
> >shift and brake levers shouldn't be that hard. I am wondering if
> >anyone knows anywhere that sells handle bars that would turn a
> >mountain bike effectively into a full suspension hybrid. If not
> >anyone ever make their own handlebars for that purpose?? Ideally it
> >would be a system where if I was really heading into tough terrain,
> >switching back to the straight bars wouldn't be a big deal but still
> >have more comfort on the streets.

> http://www.bikemannetwork.com/biking/c/COMPSTADJ
>
> If you think that you are leaning over too much and you consider that
> position to be too uncomfortable there may be two issues. One is that
> your body is way too tight. My mountain bike position is pretty
> upright. But I compare that to my position on my road bike or
> cyclocross bike which is indeed fairly stretched out. Second is that
> the bike may have the wrong size stem. They make them in different
> lengths and rises.http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/fitting.htm

Makes sense. I will look again and see if it has an adjustment to
raise it. That would help a lot. I don't think I am tensed up. I
also wouldn't call my ride fairly upright either. Its more of the
position I used years ago on the road bike. I wouldn't call it
totally uncomfortable, but just not what I am looking for. A little
more upright would be highly desirable. Will check it out and thanks.

Mark wrote:
> I recently got a Schwinn Rocket mountain bike. I am having more fun
> riding than I have had for a long time, reminding me of the days when
> I rode all over town for transportation.
>
> The Rocket is a full suspension bike, which means leaning forward.
> For many rides that would be just the thing in the back woods and
> trails. Yet a more upright position would be much more comfortable
> for just putzing around the neighborhood.
>
> It looks like different handlebars would do just that and moving the
> shift and brake levers shouldn't be that hard. I am wondering if
> anyone knows anywhere that sells handle bars that would turn a
> mountain bike effectively into a full suspension hybrid. If not
> anyone ever make their own handlebars for that purpose?? Ideally it
> would be a system where if I was really heading into tough terrain,
> switching back to the straight bars wouldn't be a big deal but still
> have more comfort on the streets.

Switching handlebars is kind of a hassle. It's much easier to switch
stems. Try to find a stem with much more "rise".

Another alternative would be to get an extender for the fork's steer
tube. This would allow several inches of additional height and could be
easily removed. Setting this up is a little complicated by the fact that
modern stems are used to set the preload on the headset bearings. You'd
need a large number of spacers or some sort of lockring to be able to
add & remove the extension and your cables would have to be long enough.

Another trick is to insert an older type stem into the steer tube to
give 2 stems. If both stems are open faceplate types (most are these
days) you can quickly switch back and forth, removing the upper stem
when the bars are in the lower stem. See
http://sheldonbrown.org/thorn/index.html for a picture of this approach.

I've used all 3 techniques to adjust bar height, all are easier than
swapping bars.

"Mark" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
>I recently got a Schwinn Rocket mountain bike. I am having more fun
> riding than I have had for a long time, reminding me of the days when
> I rode all over town for transportation.
>
> The Rocket is a full suspension bike, which means leaning forward.
> For many rides that would be just the thing in the back woods and
> trails. Yet a more upright position would be much more comfortable
> for just putzing around the neighborhood.
>
> It looks like different handlebars would do just that and moving the
> shift and brake levers shouldn't be that hard. I am wondering if
> anyone knows anywhere that sells handle bars that would turn a
> mountain bike effectively into a full suspension hybrid. If not
> anyone ever make their own handlebars for that purpose?? Ideally it
> would be a system where if I was really heading into tough terrain,
> switching back to the straight bars wouldn't be a big deal but still
> have more comfort on the streets.

Raising the bars a bit is possible by using a stem with a steep rise.
Soma Fabrications makes one.
For me the result was minimal.

On another (road) bike I replaced the handlebars and stem
(quill type, very doable) to achieve that more comfortable
ride you mention.
Much more hassle. Brake cables were too short and I needed the
LBS to replace them. Beyond my skill level. But it was quick and
relatively cheap. Very good result this time.

Rivendell supports more upright riding. A visit to their website
may give you some ideas about a bar configuration that might work for you.
You would certainly be more upright with an Albatross and wrapping
the whole bar would give you many hand options.

JP

On Nov 12, 10:23 am, "JP" <[email protected]> wrote:
> "Mark" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
> news:[email protected]...
>

> >I recently got a Schwinn Rocket mountain bike. I am having more fun
> > riding than I have had for a long time, reminding me of the days when
> > I rode all over town for transportation.

> > The Rocket is a full suspension bike, which means leaning forward.
> > For many rides that would be just the thing in the back woods and
> > trails. Yet a more upright position would be much more comfortable
> > for just putzing around the neighborhood.

> > It looks like different handlebars would do just that and moving the
> > shift and brake levers shouldn't be that hard. I am wondering if
> > anyone knows anywhere that sells handle bars that would turn a
> > mountain bike effectively into a full suspension hybrid. If not
> > anyone ever make their own handlebars for that purpose?? Ideally it
> > would be a system where if I was really heading into tough terrain,
> > switching back to the straight bars wouldn't be a big deal but still
> > have more comfort on the streets.

> Raising the bars a bit is possible by using a stem with a steep rise.
> Soma Fabrications makes one.
> For me the result was minimal.
>
> On another (road) bike I replaced the handlebars and stem
> (quill type, very doable) to achieve that more comfortable
> ride you mention.
> Much more hassle. Brake cables were too short and I needed the
> LBS to replace them. Beyond my skill level. But it was quick and
> relatively cheap. Very good result this time.
>
> Rivendell supports more upright riding. A visit to their website
> may give you some ideas about a bar configuration that might work for you.
> You would certainly be more upright with an Albatross and wrapping
> the whole bar would give you many hand options.
>
> JP

you can get some inexpensive carbon fiber spacer to raise your
handlebar up to 1-2 inches
you can get them on ebay or even on my store for just $5
carlos
www.bikingthings.com
Get Faster, Enjoy Cycling, Get Fit, Live Better.

I've flagged this and your other posts as spam. You're violating the
Google TOS.

On Nov 10, 11:34 pm, Mark <[email protected]> wrote:
> I recently got a Schwinn Rocket mountain bike. I am having more fun
> riding than I have had for a long time, reminding me of the days when
> I rode all over town for transportation.
>
> The Rocket is a full suspension bike, which means leaning forward.
> For many rides that would be just the thing in the back woods and
> trails. Yet a more upright position would be much more comfortable
> for just putzing around the neighborhood.
>
> It looks like different handlebars would do just that and moving the
> shift and brake levers shouldn't be that hard. I am wondering if
> anyone knows anywhere that sells handle bars that would turn a
> mountain bike effectively into a full suspension hybrid. If not
> anyone ever make their own handlebars for that purpose?? Ideally it
> would be a system where if I was really heading into tough terrain,
> switching back to the straight bars wouldn't be a big deal but still
> have more comfort on the streets.

Be careful, that frame design has a reputation for EXPLODING.

/s