Changing one ten speed cassette for another?

sergen

Jul 28, 2003
In my research for a new bike I have come to realise that I am going to need some very very low gears for 2 reasons

1) Next year I would like to spend a week in the Pyrenees

2) the area in which I live is very hilly. OK, so there aren't any 10 mile cols but there are plenty of little killers, around 1.5 miles long with gradients of 15% in places. By means of another example, there is a 21% hill around the block from where I live, even although the hill itself only goes on for about 400 metres.

I love cycling for fun but have no real ambitions to become a club racer, so I have no hang-ups or embarrassment about wanting a very low gear on the bike.

I already know that I want a triple chainring (52-42-30 is the norm I guess) and would also like a 10 speed cassette at the back to give greater range and help with smoother cadence.

The cassette I'd like is a 10 speed 13-29, which would give me a very nice 30x29 when in trouble.

So I went down to my local bike store and specifically looked for bikes that had 1) a triple and 2) a ten speed cassette. The only issue was that all of the 30 speed bikes had 11-26 cassettes on the back, or something similar (I didn't find one of them with a sprocket more than 26 at the back). So my question is, if I bought this bike how easily could this 11-26 be replaced for a 13-29? Would it require any chain or derailleur adjustments?

I did ask these questions to the guy at the store but he was clearly devoid of any knowledge and was only interested in his possible commission that would come from the sale of the bike - I knew I had problems when he tried convincing me that the Trek bike I was looking at had 27 gears even though I had physically counted 10 sprockets on the cassette!

Anyway, back to the matter in hand. Would anybody forsee any problem in purchasing a 30 speed bike but changing over the stock cassette for a 13-29 in the back?

My thanks in advance for your help - the average poster on this forum seems to have more knowledge of bicyles in his little finger than my local bike salesman has in his whole body.

bye for now.

boudreaux

Oct 16, 2003
sergen said:
In my research for a new bike I have come to realise that I am going to need some very very low gears for 2 reasons

1) Next year I would like to spend a week in the Pyrenees

2) the area in which I live is very hilly. OK, so there aren't any 10 mile cols but there are plenty of little killers, around 1.5 miles long with gradients of 15% in places. By means of another example, there is a 21% hill around the block from where I live, even although the hill itself only goes on for about 400 metres.

I love cycling for fun but have no real ambitions to become a club racer, so I have no hang-ups or embarrassment about wanting a very low gear on the bike.

I already know that I want a triple chainring (52-42-30 is the norm I guess) and would also like a 10 speed cassette at the back to give greater range and help with smoother cadence.

The cassette I'd like is a 10 speed 13-29, which would give me a very nice 30x29 when in trouble.

So I went down to my local bike store and specifically looked for bikes that had 1) a triple and 2) a ten speed cassette. The only issue was that all of the 30 speed bikes had 11-26 cassettes on the back, or something similar (I didn't find one of them with a sprocket more than 26 at the back). So my question is, if I bought this bike how easily could this 11-26 be replaced for a 13-29? Would it require any chain or derailleur adjustments?

I did ask these questions to the guy at the store but he was clearly devoid of any knowledge and was only interested in his possible commission that would come from the sale of the bike - I knew I had problems when he tried convincing me that the Trek bike I was looking at had 27 gears even though I had physically counted 10 sprockets on the cassette!

Anyway, back to the matter in hand. Would anybody forsee any problem in purchasing a 30 speed bike but changing over the stock cassette for a 13-29 in the back?

My thanks in advance for your help - the average poster on this forum seems to have more knowledge of bicyles in his little finger than my local bike salesman has in his whole body.

bye for now.
Installing the 13x29 is a no brainer. Then check to make sure the chain will handle the big/big......