Changing out a Campy Freehub body for a Shimano...Help

jeff010203

May 11, 2011
Hello all,

I know there have beeen a few on this, but I wanted to get a couple of questions clarified. All input would be appreciated.

I just got a set of Torelli Bormio road wheels free, great shape and they have a Campy freehub housing.

My bike has Shimano 105 components.

I would like to switch the hub body to Shimano and then add an appropriate cassette.

Question
#1 - Can I just buy any Shimano body and swap it with the campy?

if not

#2 - How do I determine the size, model of Shimano body that will fit on the existing hub after i remove the Campy body?

if #1 is a Yes
What would you recommend? weight isn't an issue as much as durability and price

Lastly

#3 Is the hub body I choose (size) strictly dependent on the make of the wheel?

Thanks in advance for your time in advance.
Sorry if I missed this info in another posting...I'm a new guy.

First, your best-bet is to contact Torelli-or-their-distributor to see if they will sell you a Shimano-compatible Freehub body for the rear hub which is used in the wheelset.

Failing that, as you have anticipated, interchangeability with components from other hubs may-or-may-not be viable ...

• Some hubs have loose bearings, some have cartridge bearings ... THAT can be an issue.

Otherwise, what you want to do can certainly be done.

Here is an older Campagnolo hub with which I mated a 3-pawl Freehub body which was cannibalized from another hub. The Campagnolo hub's saw tooth ring has an incrementally smaller inner diameter & ONLY reason the particular Freehub "fit" was because the teeth were worn down ...

• the particular freehub does not freewheel at all when mated to a "new" Campagnolo hub shell whose teeth are not worn down
  • while it does freewheel easily enough with hub shell whose ring has worn down, it does not freewheel as smoothly, yet, as it might if the pawls were the "right" length ([COLOR= #808080]see[/COLOR][COLOR= #0000ff] comment[/COLOR][COLOR= #808080], below[/COLOR])

You cannot just buy any rear hub to cannibalize for its Freehub body ...

AFAIK, there are currently three types of Freehubs:

1. Most-but-not-all-of Shimano rear hubs use a Freehub with an internal pawl mechanism ... only ONE other wheel-and-hub brand (¿Velomax? ... which was subsequently bought by Easton) licensed this, AFAIK ... Easton wheels may-or-may-not still use Shimano-compatible Freehub bodies. [COLOR= #ff0000]A Shimano rear hub will not provide a suitable transplant for your Torelli hub.[/COLOR]
  2. DT Swiss uses the Star Ratchet mechanism designed by Hugi. [COLOR= #ff0000]A Hugi-or-DT rear hub will not provide a suitable transplant for your Torelli hub.[/COLOR]
  3. Campagnolo hubs use a 3-pawl + saw tooth ring mechanism ([COLOR= #808080]for want of a better description[/COLOR]). This mechanism's design is an evolution of the mechanical design used in Freewheels and so there are no apparent license fees to use it and is therefore I believe you will find it to be the Freehub-type in most of the other hubs you will encounter. Chris King hubs use a variation of the pawl-and-ring design with ([COLOR= #808080]as I recall[/COLOR]) a ridiculous number of pawls ... some Freehub bodies may have only 2-pawls ... I can't imagine a Freehub body having only 1-pawl unless the other([COLOR= #808080]s[/COLOR]) has/([COLOR= #808080]have[/COLOR]) failed.

[COLOR= #0000ff]Years later, it finally occurred to me that I could probably mate ANY 3-pawl Freehub with almost any Campagnolo rear hub shell if I simply reduce the tips of the pawls by about 0.5mm to achieve compatibility with a Campagnolo hub shell's slightly [/COLOR][COLOR= #0000ff]smaller inner diameter saw tooth ring ([/COLOR][COLOR= #808080]this is NOT an issue for most people[/COLOR][COLOR= #0000ff]) ... [/COLOR][COLOR= #000000]presuming the Torelli uses a 3-pawl mechanism, the diameter of the Torelli's saw tooth ring should not be an issue with the Torelli hub, but you never know.[/COLOR]

THAT'S A LONG WAY OF SAYING THAT since most hubs SEEM to use axles with the same diameter, your biggest challenge may simply be to determine whether the hub on the Torelli wheel uses loose bearings or has cartridge bearings AND THEN find a reasonably priced rear Shimano-compatible rear hub which uses similar bearings ...

• I believe that the FORMULA rear hubs use loose bearings, BTW

OR, you could simply relace the rear rim on a Shimano-compatible "replacement" hub which uses the same spoke count and/or design ([COLOR= #808080]i.e.,[/COLOR] [COLOR= #808080]j-bend or straight pull spokes[/COLOR]).

OR, you could buy sell your 105 shifters & buy some Campagnolo shifters!

Originally Posted by jeff010203 .

Hello all,

I know there have beeen a few on this, but I wanted to get a couple of questions clarified. All input would be appreciated.

I just got a set of Torelli Bormio road wheels free, great shape and they have a Campy freehub housing.

My bike has Shimano 105 components.

I would like to switch the hub body to Shimano and then add an appropriate cassette.

Question
#1 - Can I just buy any Shimano body and swap it with the campy?

if not

#2 - How do I determine the size, model of Shimano body that will fit on the existing hub after i remove the Campy body?

if #1 is a Yes
What would you recommend? weight isn't an issue as much as durability and price

Lastly

#3 Is the hub body I choose (size) strictly dependent on the make of the wheel?

Thanks in advance for your time in advance.
Sorry if I missed this info in another posting...I'm a new guy.
Contact Torelli, they have freehub bodies.

http://www.torelli.com/contact/team-torelli/corporate-contact-info.htm