Changing out shifters....

lohsnest

Oct 10, 2004
Well, here is a technical question for all of you whizzes out there...... A good friend of mine is riding a bike equipped with Campy. She has a 10 speed Chorus drivetrain, but is riding with 9 speed shifters. Not a problem....the bike runs just fine, but she really dinged up her levers when she crashed her bike. Her question to me was this.... She really likes the look of the Chorus' 10 speed carbon shifters and levers, and wants to change out only the visible parts to carbon. Is this feasible and is it even cost effective and easily done? I guess she really does not want to upgrade to new shifters, new cassette, and chain. If she can just get the new levers and shifters in carbon, she would be happy. My guess is that it would take a lot more than just swapping out parts...are the innards somewhat different as well and incompatible?

Any help or advice is appreciated.

RL

The Campy levers are completely rebuildable and the parts are sold individually. Please check http://www.branfordbike.com.

She should be able to just buy the carbon shift levers / interior blades and replace them.

Easy enough.

Cheers!

lohsnest said:
Well, here is a technical question for all of you whizzes out there...... A good friend of mine is riding a bike equipped with Campy. She has a 10 speed Chorus drivetrain, but is riding with 9 speed shifters. Not a problem....the bike runs just fine, but she really dinged up her levers when she crashed her bike. Her question to me was this.... She really likes the look of the Chorus' 10 speed carbon shifters and levers, and wants to change out only the visible parts to carbon. Is this feasible and is it even cost effective and easily done? I guess she really does not want to upgrade to new shifters, new cassette, and chain. If she can just get the new levers and shifters in carbon, she would be happy. My guess is that it would take a lot more than just swapping out parts...are the innards somewhat different as well and incompatible?

RL

lohsnest said:
FWIW. The internal & external parts ARE interchangeable ... but, IMO, the cost is ABSOLUTELY PROHIBITIVE if you choose to buy the (composite) shifting blades + (carbon fiber) levers from Branford OR an LBS!

It is almost the same cost OR less expensive to buy a set of "used" CHORUS or RECORD shifters off of eBay to cannibalize the parts from. BTW, look at the ones that are up for auction & you will see how fragile the "clear coat" on those levers can be.

So, IMO, if your friend buys a set of used 10-speed Record-or-Chorus shifters with carbon levers & composite blades, she/someone would then swap the index wheel (nestled in the metal gimble of the shifting) from the 9-speed shifters to the 10-speed shifters ... and, vice-versa.

BUT, with 10-speed shifters in hand, she would probably be better off ALSO buying a 10-speed cassette & chain ... and then, re-selling the 9-speed "stuff" on eBay.

If she just wants black levers/blades & doesn't want to go through the hassle of fiddling with the internals, a pair of 9-speed MIRAGE shifters may fill the bill ...

OR, paint the metal levers & blades on the existing shifters with some black paint -- when they get scuffed, re-paint them.

OR, with some wet-dry sandpaper, "clean up" & buff the levers.

lohsnest said:

RL

Shift lever blades are in the $60 range as are the carbon brake levers. I assume she has aluminum levers now and wants carbon 'look'? '9s shifters, I guess a 9s cogset and chain as well, all else being '10s'. If the 9s levers are 1999 and later, they are compatible with all Record/Chorus from 1999 thru 2008. Be careful if ya get stuff from Branford. They like to tell ya you need stuff you 'may' not, like shift discs and such. They also invent compatibility 'issues' that don't exist.

Thanks... I looked into the prices for her....she's better off getting a new set of 10 spd levers or a used set of Campy Record 9 speeds....they were carbon..

alfeng said:
FWIW. The internal & external parts ARE interchangeable ... but, IMO, the cost is ABSOLUTELY PROHIBITIVE if you choose to buy the (composite) shifting blades + (carbon fiber) levers from Branford OR an LBS!

It is almost the same cost OR less expensive to buy a set of "used" CHORUS or RECORD shifters off of eBay to cannibalize the parts from. BTW, look at the ones that are up for auction & you will see how fragile the "clear coat" on those levers can be.

So, IMO, if your friend buys a set of used 10-speed Record-or-Chorus shifters with carbon levers & composite blades, she/someone would then swap the index wheel (nestled in the metal gimble of the shifting) from the 9-speed shifters to the 10-speed shifters ... and, vice-versa.

BUT, with 10-speed shifters in hand, she would probably be better off ALSO buying a 10-speed cassette & chain ... and then, re-selling the 9-speed "stuff" on eBay.

If she just wants black levers/blades & doesn't want to go through the hassle of fiddling with the internals, a pair of 9-speed MIRAGE shifters may fill the bill ...

OR, paint the metal levers & blades on the existing shifters with some black paint -- when they get scuffed, re-paint them.

OR, with some wet-dry sandpaper, "clean up" & buff the levers.