Changing rear cassette

Big Al

Guest
Hi guys, How do I take off my 9 speed casette from my rear wheel and
out it on a new rear wheel? daft question to the expert, hard question
for the novice like me... hence the question.

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] says...

>Hi guys, How do I take off my 9 speed casette from my rear wheel and
>out it on a new rear wheel? daft question to the expert, hard question
>for the novice like me... hence the question.

YOu will need the appropiate tool to remove the cassette lockring. Once you do
that, it just slips on and off.
---------------
Alex

Alex Rodriguez <[email protected]> wrote:

>In article <[email protected]>,
>[email protected] says...
>>
>>Hi guys, How do I take off my 9 speed casette from my rear wheel and
>>out it on a new rear wheel? daft question to the expert, hard question
>>for the novice like me... hence the question.

>YOu will need the appropiate tool to remove the cassette lockring. Once you do
>that, it just slips on and off.

Better not forget the chain whip, or you'll spend hours chasing that
cassette around and around and around and around....

(see Sheldon's article)

Mark Hickey
Habanero Cycles
http://www.habcycles.com
Home of the $795 ti frame

On Mon, 01 May 2006 22:45:39 -0700, Mark Hickey <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Alex Rodriguez <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>In article <[email protected]>,
>>[email protected] says...
>>>
>>>Hi guys, How do I take off my 9 speed casette from my rear wheel and
>>>out it on a new rear wheel? daft question to the expert, hard question
>>>for the novice like me... hence the question.

>>YOu will need the appropiate tool to remove the cassette lockring. Once you do
>>that, it just slips on and off.

>Better not forget the chain whip, or you'll spend hours chasing that
>cassette around and around and around and around....

There's also the option of a certain lockring tool that's used *on*
the bike...

>(see Sheldon's article)

Real men have an air compressor and an impact wrench. Power tools are
Manly. Big, chrome-plated power tools are even better. If it doesn't
make as much noise as a Harley, it's not powerful enough. ;>
--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.

Mark Hickey wrote:
> Alex Rodriguez <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >In article <[email protected]>,
> >[email protected] says...
> >>
> >>Hi guys, How do I take off my 9 speed casette from my rear wheel and
> >>out it on a new rear wheel? daft question to the expert, hard question
> >>for the novice like me... hence the question.

> >YOu will need the appropiate tool to remove the cassette lockring. Once you do
> >that, it just slips on and off.

> Better not forget the chain whip, or you'll spend hours chasing that
> cassette around and around and around and around....
>
> (see Sheldon's article)

If you don't have a chain whip, you can use a piece of chain held with
Vice-Grips to immobilize the cassette. Use an old, worn-out chain. If
you don't have that, sometimes you can jam a screwdriver through the
spokes into the back side of the cassette to hold it in place. Both
methods have worked fine for me- but that's because I can't find my
chain whips in my junk pile of a garage.

Jeff
"Old bike mechanics never die- they just disappear under the spare
parts."

Jeff suggested:

> ...sometimes you can jam a screwdriver through the
> spokes into the back side of the cassette to hold it in place.

YIKES! ONLY IF YOUR LIFE DEPENDS ON IT!

Buy the proper tools otherwise.

D'ohBoy

D'ohBoy wrote:
> Jeff suggested:
>
> > ...sometimes you can jam a screwdriver through the
> > spokes into the back side of the cassette to hold it in place.

> YIKES! ONLY IF YOUR LIFE DEPENDS ON IT!
>
> Buy the proper tools otherwise.
>
> D'ohBoy

Why? What are you suggesting would happen? I've done this dozens of
times over the years, and I've never experienced anything adverse. No
broken spokes, damaged hubs, or bent tools.

The cassette lockring shouldn't be tightened particularly tight- only
enough to hold the cassette on. It's serrated to keep it from
loosening, also.

Jeff