Changing shifters?

ThomasBorg

Jun 20, 2010
I have a store bought mountain bike that came with SRAM 3.0 gears and twist shifters. But I have always used click shifters and are having a hard time getting used to the twisters. So, is it hard work to change shifters, and are there any other that are compatible with my gear system?

Besides that I love my alu-frame and front suspension bike...

It means re-threading and adjusting 4 cables because the brakes are integrated into the click-shift housing, plus a new pair of grips. If they are both mountain bike shifters with the same number of cogs front and rear then they should be interchangable, but no guarantee!

I find twisties to be easy to operate on mountain bike handlebars. They are more direct because you can wind up or down in big steps rather than having to clickety-click through every gear.

ThomasBorg said:
I have a store bought mountain bike that came with SRAM 3.0 gears and twist shifters. But I have always used click shifters and are having a hard time getting used to the twisters. So, is it hard work to change shifters, and are there any other that are compatible with my gear system?
FYI. You need to determine (because 'I' don't know) what the pull rate is for the derailleurs which are currently on your bike -- some SRAM shifters-and-derailleurs are Shimano compatible, and some are proprietary.

I'm guessing the the Grip Shifts on your bike are Shimano compatible ... you should do a web search to confirm, or not.

If the SRAM 3.0 shifters are Shimano compatible, then you just need to decide which type of non-Grip Shift that you want AND what your budget is ...

Shimano's (plain) Deore shifters probably works as well as the more expensive stuff that Shimano makes (e.g., XT/XTR/etc.).

Akadat said:
I find twisties to be easy to operate on mountain bike handlebars. They are more direct because you can wind up or down in big steps rather than having to clickety-click through every gear.
FWIW. I am a 'fan' of Grip Shifts, too, for the same reason.

BTW. Regardless of which 'brand' of shifter you replace your current shifters with, you need to ensure that they are meant to shift the same "gear count" -- either 9-speed or 8-speed (7-speed drivetrains can use an 8-speed shifter).