Changing Steel Fork Rake

Status

Brad Keeter

Guest
I found a fork for my lugged steel frame. The problem is that the fork has a 40 mm rake while
the frame is designed for a rake of 43 mm. Is it possible to have the rake on the fork changed?
It is tange steel, unpainted? If it is possible does anyone have any recommendations as to who
might do it. TIA

M-Gineering Imp

Guest
Brad Keeter wrote:

> I found a fork for my lugged steel frame. The problem is that the fork has a 40 mm rake while
> the frame is designed for a rake of 43 mm. Is it possible to have the rake on the fork changed?
> It is tange steel, unpainted? If it is possible does anyone have any recommendations as to who
> might do it. TIA

a framebuilder will have the mandrells, but i wouldn't worry about it.
--
Marten

Phil Brown

Guest
> found a fork for my lugged steel frame. The problem is that the fork has a 40 mm rake while the
> frame is designed for a rake of 43 mm. Is it possible to have the rake on the fork changed? It
> is tange steel, unpainted? If it is possible does anyone have any recommendations as to who
> might do it. TIA

This is so small a difference that I wouldn't worry about it. Phil Brown

Jobst Brandt

Guest
Brad Keeter writes:

> I found a fork for my lugged steel frame. The problem is that the fork has a 40 mm rake while the
> frame is designed for a rake of 43
> mm. Is it possible to have the rake on the fork changed? It is tange steel, unpainted? If it is
> possible does anyone have any recommendations as to who might do it.

Forks and frames are not that precise an art. Three millimeters (aka
1/8") is not something for which you should bend fork blades. Leave it alone and ride bike!

A Muzi

Guest
"Brad Keeter" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> I found a fork for my lugged steel frame. The problem is that the fork has
> 40 mm rake while the frame is designed for a rake of 43 mm. Is it possible to have the rake on the
> fork changed? It is tange steel, unpainted? If it
is
> possible does anyone have any recommendations as to who might do it. TIA

Yes and no. The rake can be increased but that will reduce the clearance so it will still be the
wrong fork. OTOH 40 to 43 is pretty slight . I would ride it to evaluate the handling and see if
that is a signifcant factor for you. Might very well be OK.

Status
Not open for further replies.