Changing Steel Fork Rake

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Brad Keeter, May 22, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brad Keeter

Brad Keeter Guest

I found a fork for my lugged steel frame. The problem is that the fork has a 40 mm rake while
    the frame is designed for a rake of 43 mm. Is it possible to have the rake on the fork changed?
    It is tange steel, unpainted? If it is possible does anyone have any recommendations as to who
    might do it. TIA

Tags:

2. Brad Keeter wrote:
    >
    > I found a fork for my lugged steel frame. The problem is that the fork has a 40 mm rake while
    > the frame is designed for a rake of 43 mm. Is it possible to have the rake on the fork changed?
    > It is tange steel, unpainted? If it is possible does anyone have any recommendations as to who
    > might do it. TIA

a framebuilder will have the mandrells, but i wouldn't worry about it.
    --
    Marten

3. Phil Brown

Phil Brown Guest

> found a fork for my lugged steel frame. The problem is that the fork has a 40 mm rake while the
    > frame is designed for a rake of 43 mm. Is it possible to have the rake on the fork changed? It
    > is tange steel, unpainted? If it is possible does anyone have any recommendations as to who
    > might do it. TIA

This is so small a difference that I wouldn't worry about it. Phil Brown

4. Jobst Brandt

Jobst Brandt Guest

Brad Keeter writes:

> I found a fork for my lugged steel frame. The problem is that the fork has a 40 mm rake while the
    > frame is designed for a rake of 43
    > mm. Is it possible to have the rake on the fork changed? It is tange steel, unpainted? If it is
    > possible does anyone have any recommendations as to who might do it.

Forks and frames are not that precise an art. Three millimeters (aka
    1/8") is not something for which you should bend fork blades. Leave it alone and ride bike!

Jobst Brandt [email protected] Palo Alto CA

5. A Muzi

A Muzi Guest

"Brad Keeter" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I found a fork for my lugged steel frame. The problem is that the fork has
    a
    > 40 mm rake while the frame is designed for a rake of 43 mm. Is it possible to have the rake on the
    > fork changed? It is tange steel, unpainted? If it
    is
    > possible does anyone have any recommendations as to who might do it. TIA

Yes and no. The rake can be increased but that will reduce the clearance so it will still be the
    wrong fork. OTOH 40 to 43 is pretty slight . I would ride it to evaluate the handling and see if
    that is a signifcant factor for you. Might very well be OK.

--
    Andrew Muzi http://www.yellowjersey.org Open every day since 1 April 1971

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.