Changing the front gear and pedals (?)

Tomi A

Guest
Hi, Is rhere a site that explains how to ghange the front gears (not being
fluent in English, I don't konw if this is the right word).

I unscrewed the two screws from the pedal "arms" and tried to pull the
pedals off, but couldn't. Am I supposed to unscrew something else or use
force?

Thanks.

In article <[email protected]>, Tomi A wrote:
> Hi, Is rhere a site that explains how to ghange the front gears (not being
> fluent in English, I don't konw if this is the right word).
>
> I unscrewed the two screws from the pedal "arms" and tried to pull the
> pedals off, but couldn't. Am I supposed to unscrew something else or use
> force?

If you've removed the bolts from the end of the arms ('cranks', to
give them their correct name) opposite the pedals, you'll probably
need a crank puller to get them off.

See http://www.parktool.com/repair_help/FAQindex.shtml#crankpedal for
more detailed instructions.

--
Mike Quin <[email protected]>

Tomi A <[email protected]> writes:

> Hi, Is rhere a site that explains how to ghange the front gears (not being
> fluent in English, I don't konw if this is the right word).
>
> I unscrewed the two screws from the pedal "arms" and tried to pull the
> pedals off, but couldn't. Am I supposed to unscrew something else or use
> force?

Probobly you need a special tool to pull the arms off.
See if anything on this page looks like what you have got:

http://www.parktool.com/repair_help/FAQrCarm.shtml

Mike Quin <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> In article <[email protected]>, Tomi A wrote:
>> Hi, Is rhere a site that explains how to ghange the front gears (not
>> being fluent in English, I don't konw if this is the right word).
>>
>> I unscrewed the two screws from the pedal "arms" and tried to pull
>> the pedals off, but couldn't. Am I supposed to unscrew something else
>> or use force?

> If you've removed the bolts from the end of the arms ('cranks', to
> give them their correct name) opposite the pedals, you'll probably
> need a crank puller to get them off.
>
> See http://www.parktool.com/repair_help/FAQindex.shtml#crankpedal for
> more detailed instructions.

Thanks!

But, well, apparently, I can't do it, not having the tool:-(

Now, instead of changing the front gears and pedal from the "skeleton bike"
I've got, I have to do the opposite, rebuilding the skeleton ... Hopefully
that works, both have Shimano gears and they seem to be about the same
size.

On Thu, 26 May 2005 04:08:24 -0500, Jim Smith <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Tomi A <[email protected]> writes:
>
>> Hi, Is rhere a site that explains how to ghange the front gears (not being
>> fluent in English, I don't konw if this is the right word).
>>
>> I unscrewed the two screws from the pedal "arms" and tried to pull the
>> pedals off, but couldn't. Am I supposed to unscrew something else or use
>> force?

>Probobly you need a special tool to pull the arms off.
>See if anything on this page looks like what you have got:
>
>http://www.parktool.com/repair_help/FAQrCarm.shtml

Hi, if you are going to work on bikes occasionally, consider acquiring
a basic tool kit, that has specialized tools. Here is a good one:
http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?...rand=&sku=3521&storetype=&estoreid=&pagename=

Before you buy from Nashbar, do a search for a 10% off, online coupon
code, I believe there is one available. With that and the sale price
the tool kit is a very good deal.

Life is Good!
Jeff

Tomi A wrote:

> Mike Quin <[email protected]> wrote in
> news:[email protected]:
>
>> In article <[email protected]>, Tomi A wrote:
>>> Hi, Is rhere a site that explains how to ghange the front gears (not
>>> being fluent in English, I don't konw if this is the right word).
>>>
>>> I unscrewed the two screws from the pedal "arms" and tried to pull
>>> the pedals off, but couldn't. Am I supposed to unscrew something else
>>> or use force?

>> If you've removed the bolts from the end of the arms ('cranks', to
>> give them their correct name) opposite the pedals, you'll probably
>> need a crank puller to get them off.
>>
>> See http://www.parktool.com/repair_help/FAQindex.shtml#crankpedal for
>> more detailed instructions.
>>

> Thanks!
>
> But, well, apparently, I can't do it, not having the tool:-(
>
> Now, instead of changing the front gears and pedal from the "skeleton
> bike" I've got, I have to do the opposite, rebuilding the skeleton ...
> Hopefully that works, both have Shimano gears and they seem to be about
> the same size.

Wrong way to go. A puller is only about $5.00 US.
Too much work you are looking at not to just buy one.
Bill Baka