Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Changing the gearing on a crankset?

Started by Sean M. Cunningham · · Last activity · 5 posts · 969 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
24 October 2004
Last activity
26 October 2004
Original author
Sean M. Cunningham
Posts
5
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
969
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–5 of 5
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Hello,

    I'm trying to put together a road bike. It's my first attempt at building
    a
    bike from the frame up.

    For gearing, I'm looking at using a 32-42-52T crankset, or something in
    that area.

    Right now, I have two cranksets. Both are geared for a mountain bike. One
    is a Shimano Altus 24-34-42T; the other is a Shimano Hyperdrive-C. The
    Hyperdrive is installed on my mountain bike right now, and it's covered
    with grime, so I didn't want to touch it 🙂 but it looks to be nearly the
    same size as the Altus.

    I was wondering if it's possible to take either of these apart, use the
    large and middle sized chainrings, discard the small one, and add a big
    52T ring. It doesn't look like they can be taken apart, but I haven't
    tried prying/pulling/twisting anything, as I don't really know what to
    look for, and I don't want to break or bend either of these.

    Any advice you can give would be appreciated.

    Thanks,

    ---
    Sean Cunningham
    [email hidden]

  2. "Sean M. Cunningham" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Hello,

    I'm trying to put together a road bike. It's my first attempt at building
    a
    bike from the frame up.

    For gearing, I'm looking at using a 32-42-52T crankset, or something in
    that area.

    Right now, I have two cranksets. Both are geared for a mountain bike. One
    is a Shimano Altus 24-34-42T; the other is a Shimano Hyperdrive-C. The
    Hyperdrive is installed on my mountain bike right now, and it's covered
    with grime, so I didn't want to touch it 🙂 but it looks to be nearly the
    same size as the Altus.

    I was wondering if it's possible to take either of these apart, use the
    large and middle sized chainrings, discard the small one, and add a big
    52T ring. It doesn't look like they can be taken apart, but I haven't
    tried prying/pulling/twisting anything, as I don't really know what to
    look for, and I don't want to break or bend either of these.

    Any advice you can give would be appreciated.

    Thanks,

    ---
    Sean Cunningham
    [email hidden]
    Is the bottom bracket compatible? The bolt pattern of the crankset you
    would like to use ,probably is not . A typical road bolt pattern is
    130mm.You can get the old Dura Ace at a value right now.

  3. Sean M. Cunningham said:

    I'm trying to put together a road bike. It's my first attempt at building
    a bike from the frame up.

    For gearing, I'm looking at using a 32-42-52T crankset, or something in
    that area.

    Right now, I have two cranksets. Both are geared for a mountain bike. One
    is a Shimano Altus 24-34-42T; the other is a Shimano Hyperdrive-C. The
    Hyperdrive is installed on my mountain bike right now, and it's covered
    with grime, so I didn't want to touch it 🙂 but it looks to be nearly the
    same size as the Altus.

    I was wondering if it's possible to take either of these apart, use the
    large and middle sized chainrings

    This is not practical. Even if the chainrings are bolted instead of
    rivetted (not sure about the models you have) they wouldn't fit on the
    different positions of the crank.

    I'd suggest looking at the $72.95 Sora or $87.95 Tiagra cranksets for
    your application.

    http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/cranks.html#13074

    Sheldon "Sora" Brown
    +----------------------------------------------------------+
    | The people who live in a Golden Age usually go around |
    | complaining how yellow everything looks. |
    | -- Randall Jarrell |
    +----------------------------------------------------------+
    Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts
    Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
    http://harriscyclery.com
    Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide
    http://captainbike.com http://sheldonbrown.com

  4. Also check Nashbar for the Shimano Sora triple crankset. $49.95.
    52-42-30 chainrings. Not sure if it uses the square taper bottom
    bracket or the Shimano Octalink.

    http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?category=81&subcategory=1034&brand=&sku=2950&storetype=&estoreid=&pagename=

    "Sean M. Cunningham" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    Hello,

    I'm trying to put together a road bike. It's my first attempt at building
    a
    bike from the frame up.

    For gearing, I'm looking at using a 32-42-52T crankset, or something in
    that area.

    Right now, I have two cranksets. Both are geared for a mountain bike. One
    is a Shimano Altus 24-34-42T; the other is a Shimano Hyperdrive-C. The
    Hyperdrive is installed on my mountain bike right now, and it's covered
    with grime, so I didn't want to touch it 🙂 but it looks to be nearly the
    same size as the Altus.

    I was wondering if it's possible to take either of these apart, use the
    large and middle sized chainrings, discard the small one, and add a big
    52T ring. It doesn't look like they can be taken apart, but I haven't
    tried prying/pulling/twisting anything, as I don't really know what to
    look for, and I don't want to break or bend either of these.

    Any advice you can give would be appreciated.

    Thanks,

    ---
    Sean Cunningham
    [email hidden]

  5. "Sean M. Cunningham" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    Hello,

    I'm trying to put together a road bike. It's my first attempt at building
    a
    bike from the frame up.

    For gearing, I'm looking at using a 32-42-52T crankset, or something in
    that area.

    Right now, I have two cranksets. Both are geared for a mountain bike. One
    is a Shimano Altus 24-34-42T; the other is a Shimano Hyperdrive-C. The
    Hyperdrive is installed on my mountain bike right now, and it's covered
    with grime, so I didn't want to touch it 🙂 but it looks to be nearly the
    same size as the Altus.

    I was wondering if it's possible to take either of these apart, use the
    large and middle sized chainrings, discard the small one, and add a big
    52T ring. It doesn't look like they can be taken apart, but I haven't
    tried prying/pulling/twisting anything, as I don't really know what to
    look for, and I don't want to break or bend either of these.

    Any advice you can give would be appreciated.

    Thanks,

    ---
    Sean Cunningham
    [email hidden]

    Most cheap cranksets, probably including at least the Altus one you
    have, have non-replaceable chainrings. Basically, if it doesn't have
    obvious bolts that take allen wrenches, it's a crankset with
    non-replaceable rings. The other crank you mentioned may or may not
    have replaceable rings: Hyperglide C isn't a Shi product line, it's
    one of their feature terms that some cranksets have stickers for. Some
    of these cranks have replaceable rings and some don't. However, most
    (maybe all, not sure) of the ones that do happened to use a bolt
    circle diameter (the term for the diameter of the circle which passes
    through all the chainring bolt holes on a crank) that road-size rings
    don't exist for. So basically what you have won't work. You have some
    options for what to get instead, as others have mentioned. I would
    recommend making sure you avoid the pitfall of getting too high of a
    gearing range - 52 is way too high for most people. 46, 48, or 50 is
    usually a lot better. You have to be working really, really hard to
    spin out a 50/11 or 50/12.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.